Confirmed with Link: TOR re-sign D Travis Dermott [1 year, 874K]

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
And then Marner would have signed the offer sheet. 3rd season in the NHL and he gets 94 points. Do you think he wasn't going to get paid?
We thought he would get paid like his comparables. Not significantly more than them.

And there is no way in hell another team offered Marner something like 11x6 AS WELL AS four first round picks. No chance in hell. So they should have "risked" the fake offer sheet threat instead of handing out an unprecedented dramatic overpayment.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
It reminds me of a discussion I had with a friend about art. He told me if he ever came across an old masterpiece (like a Picasso) he would sell it and live well. I said I would keep it and hang it on my wall of my modest living room. Why? Because it is mine and why should I sell something to someone else who will enjoy it just because they have money? They will enjoy it and have money while I'll only have money and no painting. Id rather have the painting, no money and tell everyone else who wants it to go suck it.

F-everyone. These players are mine and I'm keeping them.
Interesting post but what if you had 4 picasso's and you couldn't afford to eat and feed your family would you then sell 1 of the Picasso's so you could be sucessful and feed your family.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Everything you have said in this posts is true. I think where the "hate"comes from is when you have a closed system like the cap it is hard to build a balanced team when 4 guys take half of the entire pie. I think their would less animosity towards them/Dubas if the 4 guys taking the big bite were more balanced say 2 forwards 1 stud Dman and a franchise goalie. I know the fact that the money is dumped on 4 forwards is a problem for me.
As we can all see the make up of the team is once again very different from last season, are they better......who knows.
I am going to try to approach the coming season with an open mind but at some point the roster needs to stay largely intact for more then 1 season so they can grow together as a team not just some highly skilled individuals.
Just my opinion and who really knows until it unfolds
Great perspective. I wasn’t excited at the prospect of the team adding Pietrangelo and then he gets$8,800,000 which would mean no Nylander to go along with Johnsson and Kapanen plus who knows what else would be different with the current roster. I’m good with the changes by not getting Pietrangelo. That said, it doesn’t mean Nylander is won’t be moved for a package later. It seems like a competitive roster presently. Its the same game again next year to sign Andersen/ Hyman if they are planning on keeping them.
I actually prefer the roster we have with what was added in stead of what it might look like had we signed Pietrangelo.
Edit: then Rielly the following year needs more money that likely won’t be there as the game and cap probably won’t have recovered enough by then. Maybe Rielly gets moved too. Possibility definitely there.

Last edited:

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Great perspective. I wasn’t excited at the prospect of the team adding Pietrangelo and then he gets$8,800,000 which would mean no Nylander to go along with Johnsson and Kapanen plus who knows what else would be different with the current roster. I’m good with the changes by not getting Pietrangelo. That said, it doesn’t mean Nylander is won’t be moved for a package later. It seems like a competitive roster presently. Its the same game again next year to sign Andersen/ Hyman if they are planning on keeping them.
I actually prefer the roster we have with what was added in stead of what it might look like had we signed Pietrangelo.
Edit: then Rielly the following year needs more money that likely won’t be there as the game and cap probably won’t have recovered enough by then. Maybe Rielly gets moved too. Possibility definitely there.
I was up in the air about Pietrangelo. I know it's hindsight but I wonder what we could have done for the D core if Dubas hadn't got Tavare's.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I was up in the air about Pietrangelo. I know it's hindsight but I wonder what we could have done for the D core if Dubas hadn't got Tavare's.
$11,000,000 worth and Matthews would have had to take all the hard assignments when he wasn’t ready yet. Tavares 148 points in 145 games was excellent value too. 73 of them goals. Thats some heavy quality

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Actually, it is the money. Don't call an entire fanbase idiotic just because you're unable to comprehend simple math. I'm not sure you're aware, but this league has a hard cap.
Thats why you should consider this value potential https://thehockeywriters.com/maple-leafs-robertson-comparables-point-guentzel/
He will easily replace Johnsson or Kappy. You pick who. Or choose to ignore a $2,300,000/ $2,500,000 saving here that increases the quality of the team long term.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
it doesn’t matter how good you frame it for certain posters. They gonna complain
122570960_10159033360784884_6185519581747749884_n.jpg
stole it from a facebook group but solid points made.

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
This is 400k below what I was expecting. Dubas is on fire this off season. How can you complain about any of these RFA signings.
It's not Dubas. It is just procedure. Times are tuff. Dermott had little to no leverage at this time. He should set his goals to have a career year and put the screws to the Leafs next year

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Mentat

Sep 19, 2020

Riely turns 27 next March and is a crucial part of our roster. Unless he asks for a ginormous raise, i highly doubt he gets moved. On a side note, i´ve wondered if Mikko (assuming he pans out) can fill Morgan´s shoes, since their skillset is somewhat similar.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Riely turns 27 next March and is a crucial part of our roster. Unless he asks for a ginormous raise, i highly doubt he gets moved. On a side note, i´ve wondered if Mikko (assuming he pans out) can fill Morgan´s shoes, since their skillset is somewhat similar.

Don't forget that Phil Kessel's retained cap-hit ends at the same time as Rielly's current contract. You can pretty much staple the 1.2 million we're paying for Kessel onto the next contract for Rielly. Takes him to 6.2.

He'll probably still deserve more than that for a raise. But it's easier to get to 7ish million when you're starting at 6.2 than from 5.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Dermott has played the right side at times (I believe mostly with Rielly) in the NHL. It has been mentioned that he also played the right side at times with Marlies under Keefe. I brought this up because it will make him more valuable than just a bottom 6 left side D.

We don't even know whether Lehtonen can play the left side at the NHL level yet let alone the right side.

leafs are eventually expecting dermott to replace brodie on the right in 4 years. i expect him to be used on the right

He played the right side for his last 2 years in the OHL.

Ok, I guess I have an unpopular opinion.
Here is someone who sees it the way I do, posted after I posted. His argument is the 3rd pairing will be Dermott and either Holl or Bogosian:
There likely isn’t an odd man out on the Leafs blueline

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Ok, I guess I have an unpopular opinion.
Here is someone who sees it the way I do, posted after I posted. His argument is the 3rd pairing will be Dermott and either Holl or Bogosian:
There likely isn’t an odd man out on the Leafs blueline
Leafs will carry 7 defense, 12 forwards and 2 goalers ... we will see what this new guy from Europe can do at camp and in pre season ... we know Dermy and Bogo can both play solid on 3rd pair ... maybe Dermy can play up sometimes with Muzzy (he played right side with YSE, Newmarket, Erie and mostly with Marlies - like 15 years of it) ... Holl could shift down easily to play with Lehtonen too ... there are a lot of options and I am sure Keefe will play around with many different combos in 2021 season

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009

Would be pretty shocked if that happened. I think if Lehtonen can cement himself as a top 4 defenseman that would be amazing. Besting our best defenseman seems little too pie in the sky.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

Dubas was talking about the core forwards reaching 30 as about when they'd want people like Robertson to replace them. It will be interesting to see, if he's still our GM in 5 years, what happens to aging core players, what kind of contracts he values them at, etc... didn't seem to hesitate signing Tavares well into his 30's at a high number, though.

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
$11,000,000 worth and Matthews would have had to take all the hard assignments when he wasn’t ready yet. Tavares 148 points in 145 games was excellent value too. 73 of them goals. Thats some heavy quality

We wouldn't have made the Kadri trade if we didn't sign Tavares, we'd have $5 mil or so extra to spend on D and Kadri would take those match ups.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Leafs will carry 7 defense, 12 forwards and 2 goalers ... we will see what this new guy from Europe can do at camp and in pre season ... we know Dermy and Bogo can both play solid on 3rd pair ... maybe Dermy can play up sometimes with Muzzy (he played right side with YSE, Newmarket, Erie and mostly with Marlies - like 15 years of it) ... Holl could shift down easily to play with Lehtonen too ... there are a lot of options and I am sure Keefe will play around with many different combos in 2021 season

Not sure if it was Dreger but they said Bogo took less money to sign with the Leafs meaning he will have a spot in the top 6 to start. I see Dermy and Lehtonen sharing #3LHD duties barring injuries.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
If the cap doesn't rise in two years, it's going to be tough to find the money to give Rielly a significant raise. Then again salaries will be universally depressed in those circumstances so maybe that'll mean a $5M aav extension isn't out of the question.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
We wouldn't have made the Kadri trade if we didn't sign Tavares, we'd have $5 mil or so extra to spend on D and Kadri would take those match ups.

Which - without Brown or Komarov stapled to him - would be an absolute disaster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad