Confirmed with Link: TOR re-sign D Travis Dermott [1 year, 874K]

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Not sure if it was Dreger but they said Bogo took less money to sign with the Leafs meaning he will have a spot in the top 6 to start. I see Dermy and Lehtonen sharing #3LHD duties barring injuries.
If I was a betting man then my bet would be Muzzy starts off season opener with Holl or Bogo and Dermy starts off with Bogo or Holl with Lehtonen in press box. Good news is we have 4 NHL vet defense right now in our starting 6 with 3 guys who focus on defending. It has been a long time since we have been in that position. It makes you more hopeful. The big risk is playing styles between Rielly and Brodie. Lets hope da fit is good.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
We thought he would get paid like his comparables. Not significantly more than them.

And there is no way in hell another team offered Marner something like 11x6 AS WELL AS four first round picks. No chance in hell. So they should have "risked" the fake offer sheet threat instead of handing out an unprecedented dramatic overpayment.

I still don't understand how we ended up paying Marner above the threshold for 4 1st round picks (~10.5m)

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I still don't understand how we ended up paying Marner above the threshold for 4 1st round picks (~10.5m)
Bad negotiation ... agent focuses in on after tax situation in Ohio compared to Ontario .. look Dubie my client has to pay 13%+ tax here in Ontario ... he could be at 5.75 in Ohio ... we need more income to combat da after tax loss here ... it is only fair right??? ... it is even worse for Florida ... you can never ever win that negotiation ... it can't be won using analytics

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Not sure if it was Dreger but they said Bogo took less money to sign with the Leafs meaning he will have a spot in the top 6 to start. I see Dermy and Lehtonen sharing #3LHD duties barring injuries.
hahaha, and I'm sure Lehtonen was promised a spot in the top 6 too!!! on this logic, Holl or Dermy are the man out.
I don't see it.
Holl, Dermy and Bogo fighting for last 3 spots. And I bet HOll and Bob platooning, depending on team being played.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
hahaha, and I'm sure Lehtonen was promised a spot in the top 6 too!!! on this logic, Holl or Dermy are the man out.
I don't see it.
Holl, Dermy and Bogo fighting for last 3 spots. And I bet HOll and Bob platooning, depending on team being played.

Quite possible. Let' see we have brought in Z, Oz, Soup and all 3 made it. On paper today, I think Dermott is #7. How they stack up is going to come down to how each do in the pre-season.

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
Bad negotiation ... agent focuses in on after tax situation in Ohio compared to Ontario .. look Dubie my client has to pay 13%+ tax here in Ontario ... he could be at 5.75 in Ohio ... we need more income to combat da after tax loss here ... it is only fair right??? ... it is even worse for Florida ... you can never ever win that negotiation ... it can't be won using analytics

No one who ever talks about "Taxes" seems to have any idea of how they work. Auston Matthews is making a killing with his contract. He won't get more anywhere else/

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

It has already been explained why it may have happened (ELC bonuses). Nobody is going to know for sure unless Dubas tells us.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
It's not Dubas. It is just procedure. Times are tuff. Dermott had little to no leverage at this time. He should set his goals to have a career year and put the screws to the Leafs next year

yeah that is not a concern. Dermott is very overrated here sometimes. He is a player we can let go and miss very little especially with all the signings we’ve made. So put the screws in if he likes but our depth will mean bye bye dermott, wouldn’t surprise me to see him traded at the deadline (if there is a deadline this season) if Lehtonen plays as well as some reports think he will.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
yeah that is not a concern. Dermott is very overrated here sometimes. He is a player we can let go and miss very little especially with all the signings we’ve made. So put the screws in if he likes but our depth will mean bye bye dermott, wouldn’t surprise me to see him traded at the deadline (if there is a deadline this season) if Lehtonen plays as well as some reports think he will.

There are some polarized opinions of him. There are some people, who see a guy who is going to blossom into a good top four D, including one poster who is a former NHL D man. Sometimes he seems average, like the early parts of last year (maybe it was his partners), and sometimes he looks pretty good, like when he became our top pairing guy, due to injuries. It's a big year for him, you'd think.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
There are some polarized opinions of him. There are some people, who see a guy who is going to blossom into a good top four D, including one poster who is a former NHL D man. Sometimes he seems average, like the early parts of last year (maybe it was his partners), and sometimes he looks pretty good, like when he became our top pairing guy, due to injuries. It's a big year for him, you'd think.
:huh:

Reactions: Walshy7

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I don't know if overrated is right. Some like me see to 4 potential as a shut down defender. He is young and defense takes time to develop.
Any player can be traded but personally I would give him this year to further assess what he will become. I'm not saying he shouldn't have to earn a top 6 spot but there are players that should go before him if possible.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

This sound about right.. Personally I think he's being underrated (in terms of his potential). He had was having a great rookie season on the third pairing prior to the shoulder injury. That seemed to set him back the post season and it even carried into this past season. But he got stronger as the year went on. He did really well filling in amidst Rielly and Muzzin's injuries.

Really he still has less than 200 games at the NHL level ... He was a top option on a good Marlies team. He's mobile, can make smart decisions with the puck, with a good outlet pass and possession skills. And he has some physicality to him. He's in the mould of a solid, strong two-way top 4 d-man if he keeps progression.

Like a lot of d-men he just needs maturity and time at the NHL level to grow his game.

Reactions: Oscar Peterson

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Dermott at this rate of pay is a bargain. But he will in all likelihood be hovering around 5th or 6th most ice time in the 2020-21 season on the team. This money isn't far off the slot where he's projected to be utilized. What's better (much better) about him is that he's probably up for the task of higher minutes against tougher competition if and when the injuries strike.

On whether he's overrated: he's an NHL defender with 3rd/4th defenseman minutes potential. His style is a little too frenetic for my liking - I think NHL defensemen should play calm measured games - but currently he's an asset to the team. And he's not some replacement level player who is easily replaced by a cheap free agent. Be happy he's still here, I bet the team was close to losing him, all he had to do was demand market value and he couldn't have stayed.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Dermott at this rate of pay is a bargain. But he will in all likelihood be hovering around 5th or 6th most ice time in the 2020-21 season on the team. This money isn't far off the slot where he's projected to be utilized. What's better (much better) about him is that he's probably up for the task of higher minutes against tougher competition if and when the injuries strike.

On whether he's overrated: he's an NHL defender with 3rd/4th defenseman minutes potential. His style is a little too frenetic for my liking - I think NHL defensemen should play calm measured games - but currently he's an asset to the team. And he's not some replacement level player who is easily replaced by a cheap free agent. Be happy he's still here, I bet the team was close to losing him, all he had to do was demand market value and he couldn't have stayed.
I agree with the value/potential assessments though I think 3/4 might be a little conservative for upside.

One thing I disagree with is the "frenetic" assessment. When he's on though, he's extremely poised even when he's a ball of energy - just goes where he should be, carries the puck out of danger while using his body to protect it and knows when to move it before he gets caught. If he hits his potential it will be as a more physical Jonas Brodin - all situations, all competition, solid but unspectacular offense and really rare mistakes.

I'll give you that he looked panicked in the playoffs but he also wasn't the good version of himself, that version doesnt fulfill his potential

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

by no means am I a professional evaluator in fact probably the furthest from that on this forum, but I see a guy with tools and no tool box and makes panicked plays far too often to be a serious top 4 dman. In a pinch? Yeah I’ll take him up there. In a playoff game all options available? I’d hope we had better making him the 6th d with sheltering would be ok.

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
Travis Dermott is actually a damn good DMan to have as your 5th or 6th guy. So I call bullshit if anyone says Leafs lack depth on D. HOw many "Contenders" have better guys than that on their 3rd pair? HIs defensive numbers are pretty impressive. I liked what I saw when he had increased time due to injuries last year.

Reactions: Phion Keneuf

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020

And people here are also way too quick to want to dump good young players for no reason. It's actually incredibly risky to move him at a relative low value in a trade given his age and his overall numbers. Not sure that should be done with a Young DMan.
Lehtonen will be UFA next year. Bogosian is on a 1 year deal. Things can change fast next year.
One thing that is great about Dubas is, he realizes moving a talented young player would be a terible idea and won't do it.

Move a 23 year-old who looked like our best D with Rielly, Muzzin out for very little in return? No thanks.

Reactions: Tarmore

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad