Confirmed with Link: [TOR/OTT] Phaneuf Deal Pt.2 | Frattin stays with Marlies

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Me too! He scores then, and, we're off to the next series, instead of golf season! :rant:

or you know. we lose 6-5....

sorry - it's just that everyone keeps saying that, like had Frattin scored....
we blew a three goal lead - that NEVER happened before (in that season or in that situation ever)... so it very easily could have been especially how things were going could have been a 4 goal lead we blew.

I guess Binghampton isn't a nice place, and cool that out of all the pieces that could stay, Fratty gets to stay.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
I hope they don't make the playoffs at Pittsburgh's expense and screw us out of Pittsburgh's draft pick.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
If Frattin was signed beyond this season then maybe it could make sense but he will never do anything for the Sens organization and operate completely as property of the Leafs organization... it just doesn't make sense other than number of contracts.. that is the only logical reasoning.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
I hope they don't make the playoffs at Pittsburgh's expense and screw us out of Pittsburgh's draft pick.

it's hardly a two man race.

4th Islanders 62 points
5th Lightning 62 points
6th Wings 62 points
7th Bruins 62 points
8th Penguins 61 points

Pens have a game in hand on everyone but the Islanders who have the same.

they are 1 point out of 4th place... They aren't in danger right now.. they're just in a race. Crosby is waking up and they're playing better as a team, 7-2-1 in last 10.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
It's more about money.

Frattin is one a one-way deal at 825K. Ottawa is a budget team and can't pay him that much in the AHL. Their highest paid player is Mike Kostka at 300K on a 2-Way deal.

So the Leafs keep him for the Marlies, still pay him, but his contract slot is transferred to the Senators, likely with the promise that they won't recall him.

Initially I was wondering what benefit this was to the Leafs. Now I'm wondering what benefit this is to the Senators. Why would they want to burn up a contract spot?

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
The sens also don't want frattin taking the spot of a developing forward in the AHL

murray pretty much said Toronto had to move a contract that's why the deal expanded

disgruntleddave

Aug 31, 2009
Canada
Very weird. Honestly it sounds more like cap circumvention than anything.

Let's say Lecavalier is in the minors, nobody wants him. Why wouldn't his team trade him but keep him in the minors, and pay him? It's basically the same as paying the whole contract which is not an allowed retention.

Not saying I don't like it, but I'm saying it sounds awfully fishy.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008

Let's say Lecavalier is in the minors, nobody wants him. Why wouldn't his team trade him but keep him in the minors, and pay him? It's basically the same as paying the whole contract which is not an allowed retention.

It's out of the box thinking, that this organization deeply missed.

If Lecavalier is in the minors, it's possible that LA loans him to the Marlies and that both teams agree that the Leafs will pay his salary.

However his cap hit in the minors would still count against LA's cap.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005

That's actually a pretty interesting point. There has to be a rule against that sort of circumvention, otherwise it could be done with bigger burdens.

WillNytheSwedishGuy

Sep 17, 2015
That's actually a pretty interesting point. There has to be a rule against that sort of circumvention, otherwise it could be done with bigger burdens.

I'm confused, aren't the Leafs still on the hook for Frattin's cap hit? Its not cap circumvention, its circumvention of the Standard Player Contract limit no?

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
or you know. we lose 6-5....

sorry - it's just that everyone keeps saying that, like had Frattin scored....
we blew a three goal lead - that NEVER happened before (in that season or in that situation ever)... so it very easily could have been especially how things were going could have been a 4 goal lead we blew.

I guess Binghampton isn't a nice place, and cool that out of all the pieces that could stay, Fratty gets to stay.

Blown 3 goal leads in a 3rd period happen quite a lot. Just never in a game 7 till then.

If Frattin did put it away, a 3 goal lead with 3 minutes left... I'm pretty sure that has never ever been done in any NHL game of any kind ever to blow a 3 goal lead with that little time left, period.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I'm confused, aren't the Leafs still on the hook for Frattin's cap hit? Its not cap circumvention, its circumvention of the Standard Player Contract limit no?

My understanding is Matt's cap hit counts against the Sens as he's their contract and their property, but I could be wrong.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Isn't that how we got Froese? Wasn't he loaned by Rockford?

He was loaned by Cincinnati (ECHL) who is affiliated with Rockford & San Antonio who are affiliated with Chicago & Nashville (I believe). I don't think he had an AHL contract at the time.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
you can loan a player to whatever team you want to, you usually loan them to your affiliate because you have more control of them, but if Frattin is just a contract to Ottawa and not actual depth, they don't care where he is.

It's basically a, we don't have any plans for Frattin, so we'll let him stay with the Marlies, does Frattin a favour, his life doesn't change until the offseason when he's UFA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad