Confirmed with Link: [TOR/OTT] Phaneuf Deal Pt.2 | Frattin stays with Marlies

Anth93

Jul 2, 2012
See, if it was a Sens-Leafs game, Sens fans would be laughing at Dion.

However, I went and asked their opinion and it was basically "He was highly responsible for two goals against, but it was nerves and his game outside of that was pretty solid"

Dion is a very solid player, but god damn he makes a lot of obvious mistakes.

Will feel bad for them when that starts to become agitating :laugh:
My thoughts exactly. I don't really dislike Ottawa just because they're kind of like our cute neighbors, but damn they just cannot afford to have Dion play like this for 5 years.

It's going to be hell.

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
He's good for at least one bone head play a game and usually it costs a goal

Very happy he is gone

It was a huge mistake putting the 'C' on him - along with many other mistakes under Burke

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I largely believe that if Phaneuf came into the organization under Lou, Babcock and Shanahan, that things would have worked out a lot differently.

Burke and Wilson, and later Carlyle, put him in a position to not be successful.

Anth93

Jul 2, 2012
Don't get it twisted. Dion WAS an effective goal scorer, but hasn't been for 6-7 years. That game isn't coming back, and unfortunately with time, he's gotten much worse at skating/defending.

His skills began to diminish ever since the playoffs vs Boston. He was never the same player again.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
I largely believe that if Phaneuf came into the organization under Lou, Babcock and Shanahan, that things would have worked out a lot differently.

Burke and Wilson, and later Carlyle, put him in a position to not be successful.

It's concerning when you take a player who was supposed to be a puck rushing guy with a huge shot and spots in his defensive game and play him in a defensive role. He wasn't surrounded by any talents aside from Beauchemin and instead had to play harder minutes for up and comers like Gardiner, Gunarsson, Percy...

He was put in a position to fail and he was classy enough to not show his displeasure in public. He's a pro and I have nothing but good things to say about him as a person. As a player, he wasn't the best but was the best on the Leafs.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Don't get it twisted. Dion WAS an effective goal scorer, but hasn't been for 6-7 years. That game isn't coming back, and unfortunately with time, he's gotten much worse at skating/defending.

His skills began to diminish ever since the playoffs vs Boston. He was never the same player again.

He was traded away from Calgary for good reason....between the ears he just is not a good D man. Add that to his bad feet and you get the net result.

Detroit has a whale of a goalie.....

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It's concerning when you take a player who was supposed to be a puck rushing guy with a huge shot and spots in his defensive game and play him in a defensive role. He wasn't surrounded by any talents aside from Beauchemin and instead had to play harder minutes for up and comers like Gardiner, Gunarsson, Percy...

He was put in a position to fail and he was classy enough to not show his displeasure in public. He's a pro and I have nothing but good things to say about him as a person. As a player, he wasn't the best but was the best on the Leafs.

He was paired with Holzer, Gunnar, Granberg, Robidas, Franson since Beauch.

He finally got paired with a competent partner in Gardiner, and his play drastically improved.

Surprise Surprise that it took Mike Babcock to do what Wilson, Carlyle and Horachek couldn't figure out.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach

He finally got paired with a competent partner in Gardiner, and his play drastically improved.

Surprise Surprise that it took Mike Babcock to do what Wilson, Carlyle and Horachek couldn't figure out.

It took Gardiner some time to come to though. You also forgot to mention Kostka, O'Byrne, Aulie, and other forgettable AHLers that he had to be paired with.

Similarly, Franson's play improve tons when he was paired with Phaneuf. He's not doing too well on the Sabres now. To think that there was talk of extending him for ~5M AAV is incomprehensible in hindsight.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

Yes.....stop playing him above his skill set. 2nd pair D man.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
and unfortunately with time, he's gotten much worse at skating/defending.
Is that true ?
Dion looks like a "slow-twitch" muscle guy to me.
You are usually born that way.

He's just not fast enough for the first line.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014

Yes, it's coache's and managers fault that Phaneuf was so awful at times......

No, he didn't lead very well at times and made huge mistakes at times. He was better this season though.

There were so many different people with phaneuf and have been. Horachek, Wilson, Carlyle, Babcock, Lou, everyone. Phaneuf is Phaneuf. And he was awful at times.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Phaneuf is built for contact. For pushing and shoving and net clearing. And he does that well.

He is not built for speed. He is essentially, right in front of our eyes, the old paradigm. The old paradigm that bores the crap out of me for the most part.

In with the new, who can skate fast, rush the puck and take a decent slap shot(no, that is not Morgan Rielly yet).

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I do believe Ottawa will end up with a better version of Phaneuf than we got. I think the biggest issue was giving him the captaincy, and expecting him to adjust his game to be a more responsible player and leader. All those things that made him worthwhile to acquire from Calgary were slowly stripped away from him here. Don't throw huge hits and put yourself out of position, don't pinch or rush the puck and leave your partner out to dry, just straight-up don't make that risky play. The focus was on reliability and leadership, and it just never felt like vintage Dion.

In Ottawa, he gets a fresh start, with someone else holding the reins and presumably no pressure on being the guy to hold that room together. I'd like to see him re-emerge as the effective player that he can be, I really have no ill will towards Phaneuf, but I don't think it was ever going to happen for him here with that C on his chest. Like Kessel, he's gotta be that 2nd or 3rd option, not your first.

Not the greatest start for him last night, but I think he'll be alright. Less pressure will be his friend.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Phaneuf isn't going to get better though. He'll probably about the same as he did here. The only difference is that the magnifying glass won't be as close and he's got a better team around him.

He will likely only decline as he progresses through his contract.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Preach on brother! We're in good hands now.... Best management group in hockey.

I'd like to add to this,

I have been a fan of this team going on 43 ish years

and I'm starting to think that this also might be the best ownership we have ever had.

Maybe Daisy was onto something after all.:)

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
He was traded away from Calgary for good reason....between the ears he just is not a good D man. Add that to his bad feet and you get the net result.

Detroit has a whale of a goalie.....

For me the worst part about the 7 million dollar fraud was he and his camps opinion of his worth, I don't think this man has lived up to any of his contract years in like ages. Do I want someone so delusional , so egotistically blind captaining my team and cap crushing us,HELL NO!

He and his camp drew the line in the sand at 7x7 or he tests UFA and the idiots caved in, instead of trading him by the trade deadline.

This entire ordeal was like passing a kidney stone, I'm just glad it's over with.

Darkside Blue

There/They're/Their
Feb 17, 2014

Do you reckon that Dion got slower, or the league got faster? There's such an emphasis on skating now, that slower skaters like Dion seem more noticable.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Dion's problem was he's a 2nd pair D being paid like an elite num 1. Unfortunately he also believed he was an elite player.

Absolutely ****ing thrilled he was moved without retention.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Dion's problem was he's a 2nd pair D being paid like an elite num 1. Unfortunately he also believed he was an elite player.

Absolutely ****ing thrilled he was moved without retention.

I personally never thought he'd get moved without some type of retention so that is definitely a bonus.

In reference to Dion being a 2nd pair guy, he might be that now but I still do think for most of his time here he could have been a top pairing dman on most teams. Now, that doesn't mean he's a #1 dman, just a guy that I wouldn't mind if he was paired with the #1 dman, much like Starlman. I.E if Stralman is your #1 dman, your team is in trouble, but if he's in your top 3, you can be in pretty good shape.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->