Confirmed with Link: [TOR/OTT] Phaneuf Deal Pt.2 | Frattin stays with Marlies

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
just saw the sens game highlights, and phaneuf was on the ice for both goals. the wings players got around him to score both goals. typical phaneuf being phaneuf :laugh:

I'm not sure what you were watching but Phaneuf was only on the ice for 1 goal. Phaneuf looked tired but overall he played OK.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
It doesn't matter any more but these claims that Phaneuf doesn't skate well seem way out there.
His forward speed is acceptable but he can't pivot and turn which is kind of important for a d. He's also brutally slow going backwards.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
I'm not sure what you were watching but Phaneuf was only on the ice for 1 goal. Phaneuf looked tired but overall he played OK.

yup, you are correct. he got beat by nyqvist but anderson bailed him out. thought that was a goal, but i guess not. but phaneuf was still awful.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013

When doesn't he look tired? The first 10-15 games of the season maybe? I think at this stage of his career, looking tired should actually be his normal.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
For me the worst part about the 7 million dollar fraud was he and his camps opinion of his worth, I don't think this man has lived up to any of his contract years in like ages. Do I want someone so delusional , so egotistically blind captaining my team and cap crushing us,HELL NO!

He and his camp drew the line in the sand at 7x7 or he tests UFA
and the idiots caved in, instead of trading him by the trade deadline.

This entire ordeal was like passing a kidney stone, I'm just glad it's over with.

You're hating on a player because his agent is doing his job?

MLG Ghost

Feb 3, 2004
yup, you are correct. he got beat by nyqvist but anderson bailed him out. thought that was a goal, but i guess not. but phaneuf was still awful.

Dion was put in a no win situation with us; he was asked to do too much, take too much responsibility and play too many minutes for us. His main problem, as I see it, is that he wanted to do all of that; he just couldn't, because he wasn't capable. He was paid like he was capable of being a top defenseman and a Captain; he just wasn't. Is that is fault; who wouldn't take the money?

I don't blame Dion for how things went for him with us; that's all on Brian Burke and his management/coaching staff that misjudged what Dion was and what he could be for us.

I actually think we would be best served just wishing Dion well and moving on; I don't take any pleasure in seeing guys skate around him to score goals.

That said, I think that this has potential to turn in to just an awful trade for Ottawa. I expect that within twelve months they will be having some serious buyers remorse.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
My comment was never addressed so going to report hoping for an answer.

I believe we are currently at 48 contracts/50.

Correct me if I'm wrong but before the deal, we were at 49/50.

Cap space, contract spot gained from Phaneuf deal. Along with player personnel and pick.

New Leaf

Oct 16, 2008
My guess is James Van Reimsdyk. If Reilly was ready for a leadership role, he would have been given the "A" instead of Polak.

I'm almost certain JVR won't get it. If they don't get a captain in free agency (cough), it will probably be in limbo next year too.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Is it over rated or over paid?

None of us ever thought he was a saviour but at $5.5M I think fans would have been more accepting of his play. He was just never worth what he got here. When was the last time this guy was an all star? My guess is as an UFA he would get $6M from someone like NYR/Philly.

Hanta Yo

Bag it up
Jan 28, 2009
Toronto
I'm just happy new management is slowly but surely erasing the mistakes made by the previous management. Glad Phaneuf is gone, he wasn't a number 1 dman, but Burke and Co. decided to treat him like one. Next to the trade itself, I'm most (pleasantly) surprised at the fact that there was no salary retention at all.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
you can loan a player to whatever team you want to, you usually loan them to your affiliate because you have more control of them, but if Frattin is just a contract to Ottawa and not actual depth, they don't care where he is.

It's basically a, we don't have any plans for Frattin, so we'll let him stay with the Marlies, does Frattin a favour, his life doesn't change until the offseason when he's UFA

Don't tell me Ottawa senators team is humane and have considerations for players feelings. That cannot be true.:laugh:

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
I think really the only thing that scares me about playing the sens now, is dion might open ice one of our young guns next year. but who knows maybe he'll do to one of there stars like he did with jvr here. go to lower the boom miss and smack his own teammate

I wish him nothing but good fortune however, just a thought

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Frattin loan and AHL loans

Don't tell me Ottawa senators team is humane and have considerations for players feelings. That cannot be true.:laugh:

I'm sure it was Frattin's contract that kept him playing as a Marlie. But the loaning of players in the AHL is not unusual, though not common.
Goalies are lent to one team to another because of injuries. Most NHL teams have 5 pro contract goalies and if 2 are hurt, either it's a PTO signing or a "loan" is done.

Same with defence, with injuries and call ups there may be loans, usually the 7th or 8th AHL depth guy is loaned short term.

Does Ottawa have humane feelings? Don't think so, but don't think Bryan Murray and if there were any other Ottawa execs were thinking clearly. Maybe they don't have cable TV in Ottawa. Just can't imagine them thinking Dion can help them. Good luck to Dion and the Senators though. For Dion's sake I hope he isn't wearing the rest of his contract like an anchor.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
Hunter seems to be drafting towards where the game will be played in the future. Which is smart, as we won't be competitive for a while.

Its going to be really tough getting the NHLP to go along with it, but I think the NHL is going to go to four on four as soon as they can get the NHLPA to realize its for the best.

It will chop a lot of jobs though, NHLPA is going to dig in their heels to stop it. Big winners of course would be the game and the fans.

It will eliminate the overcrowded effect on the ice. A lot.

Soccer would do well to do the same. Players are too fit and fast now, defences are too good.

That is straight up nonsense.

There's more goals scored now than before in top leagues. I don't pay a great deal of attention to the MLS, but when I have watched, the issue is in a lack of technical quality more than great defence. Although I think they're beginning to address that.

RiellyGood

Oct 21, 2002
Visit site
I'm sure it was Frattin's contract that kept him playing as a Marlie. But the loaning of players in the AHL is not unusual, though not common.
Goalies are lent to one team to another because of injuries. Most NHL teams have 5 pro contract goalies and if 2 are hurt, either it's a PTO signing or a "loan" is done.

Same with defence, with injuries and call ups there may be loans, usually the 7th or 8th AHL depth guy is loaned short term.

Does Ottawa have humane feelings? Don't think so, but don't think Bryan Murray and if there were any other Ottawa execs were thinking clearly. Maybe they don't have cable TV in Ottawa. Just can't imagine them thinking Dion can help them. Good luck to Dion and the Senators though. For Dion's sake I hope he isn't wearing the rest of his contract like an anchor.

1st time Ottawa's ridiculous blackout of leafs games in the area has ever paid dividends :popcorn:

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Anyone listen to the biggs and barr show? They spent yesterday morning randomly calling people in Ottawa and apologizing for the trade, basically telling them the game against Detroit is basically what you could expect from Dion and that they were sorry for it :laugh:

Funny stuff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad