Proposal: TOR-MON

Status
Not open for further replies.

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
After the kind of season Nylander had I wouldnt trade him for an older and inferior player who will probably ask for term and dollar as Willy. I'm open to move him to upgrade on defence though.
He's one year older lol. Domi being inferior is arguable. Who did you have in mind for this upgrade on D?

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Nylander is worth more then a smurf and a 3rd.

I am not sure why you are calling Domi a smurf... from a physicality perspective, he plays way above his weight class.

Domi has not been surrounded with the same talent as Nylander and has produced decent numbers. I would like to know what his salary expectations are though.

I would say Nylander is worth Domi + 2nd.... if Domi is reasonable in his salary demands.

Last edited:

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I'd probably say no. But it's not bad. I'd love Domi.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Not trading Domi to the Leafs. I doubt Bergevin would too.

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
Your proposals are bad and trying to chat about it isn't going to help.
First of all, I'm not a GM (obviously) and the trades I propose are just ideas. I don't claim to know the precise value of the pieces I put forward and my trades may reflect that. Second of all, I post here to open a discussion so I can gain some insight. I learn by reading the opinions of other hockey fans and chatting about it is exactly how it helps. What exactly is bad about this proposal? Enlighten me.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I am not sure why you are calling Domi a smurf... from a physicality perspective, he plays way above his weight class.

Domi has not been surrounded with the same talent as Nylander and has produced decent numbers. I would like to know what his salary expectations are though.

I would say Nylander is worth Domi + 2nd.... if Domi is reasonable in his slalry demands.

This.

Ultimately, if the Leafs are at all into the Alex Pietrangelo market, I think they have to be at least open to considering deals like this. Let's not forget, Domi did put up 28 goals and 72 points last year on a Montreal team where the next best guy put up 58. The potential is certainly there.

Nylander has 4 years left at $7m. Would Domi give you 4 years at $5m? Maybe $5.25? If so, I think it has to be a strong consideration. He'd be much more suited to playing a #3C role than Nylander would, and while ideally you view him as a winger in the top 6 and be a much more skilled version of Zach Hyman, it might give you the flexibility to move a guy like Kerfoot, throw Spezza in as a 3C more often, and Domi when you want to match up.

That being said, 4 years is kind of "no mans land", especially for a 25 year old player who's already gone through 1 bridge deal. He was probably looking to do a 6-7 year deal at $6-7m before COVID taking him to 32 years old. With COVID and the flat cap for the forseeable future, he may push for a 2-3 year deal so that he can have a better "kick at the can" in a cap-rising environment.

Last edited:

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif
I wonder who would be more physical in the playoffs . This chick or Nylander ?

Reactions: jfhabs

Jakomyte

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Nylander will only be traded for one of two reasons:

1. To acquire a top pair D
  2. To make cap space used to acquire a top pair D

Domi isn't a top pair D, and the salary difference between the two will not be sufficient enough to clear significant cap to sign a top pair D.

If Nylander were to be traded to Montreal (side note... he won't), it would be more for ELC players and/or futures.

Last edited:

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Nylander will be traded for one of two reasons:

1. To acquire a top pair D
  2. To make cap space used to acquire a top pair D

Domi isn't a top pair D, and the salary difference between the two will not be sufficient enough to clear significant cap to sign a top pair D.

If Nylander were to be traded to Montreal (side note... he won't), it would be more for ELC players and/or futures.

After trading Kapanen, the Leafs a) don't have the depth to, and b) don't really need to trade Nylander outright to bring in a top pair D (unless he if course the piece that acquires said defenceman). They need to find creative ways to get a little less top-heavy from a cap standpoint.

If Nylander to Domi allows you to save $2m directly, it might also facilitate a situation where Alex Kerfoot can go and Jason Spezza take his place as the 3rd line C, and some Denis Malgin equivalent replace him as a 4th line winger.

Don't get me wrong, in isolation, having Nylander/Kerfoot/Spezza is better than Domi/Spezza/Malgin... but there's likely a $4.5m cap hit difference between the two groupings plus whatever you get for Kerfoot.

Heck, maybe you can convince the Flames to do a 1-for-1 Kerfoot/Bennett swap; I think there's a lot to like with Sam Bennett & Jason Spezza as the #3 and #4Cs, and Domi who can jump over.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
No interest in Nylander. Way too soft and without Matthews feeding him I don’t see him productive in Montreal. He would be the newest entry to the overpaid club.

Reactions: Tanknation

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
I hope Toronto keeps Nylander . Marner and Spezza to . Get rid of Clifford . I hope they keep getting softer and softer .

Reactions: Morgs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad