Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Matthews extended (5 years, $11.63M AAV) part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
No doubt that was a teachable moment for Dubas, where he overcompensated to give in to a 5 year RFA, not even UFA deal for 11.63M per. Based on every comparable we have, he got worked. It's disappointing for the other teams that have RFA's coming up. Now agents can cite this deal. The most recent 5 year RFA deal is Larkin at 6.1. And anyone who watches these 2 play head to head this season will know, there is no way Matthews is 5.5M better than Larkin is on the ice or in the stats.

NHLPA President after seeing this deal.

giphy.gif

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
over 30 million shelled out and no revenue is going to hurt no matter the organization.
What would ever make you think no revenue? I’m not sure you’re aware of the brand that is the Toronto Maple Leafs.

I was definitely hopeful they’d go 8 years, but they were stuck with all this Yonge talent needing renewals within 2 offseasons. They had to sacrifice somewhere, and this was it.

Reactions: DelusionalLeafsFan

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Aside from the Calder trophy and scoring 40 in his rookie season...

Last 2yrs:

ES p/60

1.McDavid (22): 3.15 (6.22pp)
2.Matthews (21): 3.14 (6.72pp)
3.Kucherov (25): 3.13 (8.58pp)
4.Gaudreau (25): 2.83 (5.71pp)
5.MacKinnon (23): 2.77 (7.59pp)

ES p1/60

1.Matthews (21): 2.67 (5.38pp)
2.McDavid (22): 2.37 (4.67pp)
3.Kucherov (25): 2.37 (5.98pp)
4.Gaudreau (25): 2.31 (3.50pp)
5.MacKinnon (23): 2.25 (5.53pp)
And yet...hasn't put over 70 points. Pace is one thing but if the player doesn't stay healthy a whole season, the pace doesn't really matter in the end.

MightySelanne8

Mar 10, 2014
Helsinki
Isnt this contract horrible for the Leafs? Short term, huge $. I expected 10M, 10,5 tops for him. Well, will be interesting when he possibly hits UFA.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Again none of this is AM's fault.

Also I don't think you can just compare everyone to McDavid's contract, McDavid is currently paid less than he's worth to the team. He could easily be making 14 mil right now and it would be hard to argue that it would undeserved. If it worked like that nobody would have gone past Crosby's 8.7 or Ovechkin's 9.5 when those contracts were the benchmarks. Just not the way it works.

That's fair

But my point is he is not in the same pay structure as McDavid.

Now if he can stay healthy, because before the injuries these past two years, he was one dominant MOFO, he could be the 2nd best talent wise.

But he has not proved it yet.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Neither can we. It's an unacceptable contract and I'm praying that the media rips Dubas horribly, repeatedly and endlessly for it.

To me 11Mx8 good job, 11.5Mx8 okay that's alright, but even more with 5 years is a really tough one.

There was no discount while taking less years.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Next up Marner to screw the Leafs, Dubas looking bad so far, throwing away money

varano

Jun 27, 2013
How badly do the Leafs get screwed up if there is a lockout? If Marner signs you figure it's going to have a similar bonus structure. 30+ million in bonuses during a lockout has to wreck an organization.
Zero. We traded for a guy that can't even walk and agreed to pay him 26 million to sit at home. We sent players making 5 million dollars away to robidass island....You think this matters?

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
No doubt that was a teachable moment for Dubas, where he overcompensated to give in to a 5 year RFA, not even UFA deal for 11.63M per. Based on every comparable we have, he got worked. It's disappointing for the other teams that have RFA's coming up. Now agents can cite this deal. The most recent 5 year RFA deal is Larkin at 6.1. And anyone who watches these 2 play head to head this season will know, there is no way Matthews is 5.5M better than Larkin is on the ice or in the stats.

I think the Leafs care more about cap hit than UFA years. You got Matthews making less than McDavid.

In 5 years if Matthews walks, it was a mistake. If he signs for a reasonable number, then it was a good deal. Either way, his next contract comes before (presumably precedent setting) McDavid, and 8 years then takes him to 34 and not 37.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Tampa seems to do OK. It's our GM that negotiates like a cheerleader.
But the Tampa tactics come at a cost. Lots of NMCs and NTCs. Does good keeping the money down but makes it very tough to maneuver if needed.

I think this is a bad deal for Toronto, but Tampa definitely sacrifices one flexibility (movement options) for another (lower cap hits)

Reactions: LordZapp

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
If this was me at the 4pm conference:

ME: Matty, you said you didn't want to sign the 8 year deal, because the money was too much?

AM: Yes, this is correct

ME: The reports are saying with inflation, and McDavids 12.5m contract, you would have been close to 14m on a 8 year?

AM: Yes, correct

ME: McDavid has won a hart, Lyndsey, and 2 art ross, how is this a comparable?

AM: .......... OK folks, that's enough questions.

Even the biggest fans of Matthews can’t defend this because it’s true. Lol

Reactions: dukeofjive and DanM

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
After the 20/21 season the nhl will be getting a new TV deal in USA... with the way sports is getting money... expect the next USA deal to massively push the cap up

We could also be heading for a crippling recession that could cause a reduction in the cap dramatically. If you want to discuss hypotheticals it can always go the other way. All in all good for Leafs short term. Matthews did them a favor (likely this was him wanting the flexibility of a 5 yr) but they will likely lose him or have to pay through the nose in 5 seasons. Leaf fans enjoy the sprint to the cup.... your in a position to make a run for the next 5 seasons (this season likely being your best opportunity because of the cap flexibility but you never know)

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
That's fair

But my point is he is not in the same pay structure as McDavid.

Now if he can stay healthy, because before the injuries these past two years, he was one dominant MOFO, he could be the 2nd best talent wise.

But he has not proved it yet.
Mcdavids contract negotiations started with chia offering 13 aav and mcdavid saying nah 12. If mcdavid wanted more he would have gotten it .

jboknows

Feb 9, 2010
Things are different now. He'll sign this contract now, then sign long term to finish the end of his career like tavares.

Ya, perhaps I'm just a dinosaur with this, but I really have an issue with RFA's getting this much. I am not a fan of this contract right now, but inevitably after seeing what the others sign for (Laine, Rantannen, Aho) I'm going to think "well, I guess this is just how absurd RFA contracts are now". RFA contracts and signing bonuses will cause the next lockout.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
I'm not sure why you think that Matthews has to answer for the contract he signed. Anyone with a brain is going to try to get the most money they can.

If you want to have the media rag on Dubas, I get it. And they certainly will. Toronto media isn't exactly known for lobbing softballs.

As far as the deal, I think it's over by about 500k or so, or under by a year on the length. Not ideal, but certainly not back breaking. The Leafs still have enough wiggle room, even without decimating their depth, to keep the core together long term.

That's fair, just replace AM with Dubas. The point remains, somebody needs to answer tough questions here.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I think the AM contract sucks because of the term. It just puts in perspective he didnt take a discount

Yeah, the Leafs paid sticker price and only got 1 UFA year out of it. Definitely not disappointed as a Sabres fan. I'm sure Toronto will be able to put a few good runs together with their current core, but they haven't got a huge window to work with.

Reactions: MattMartin

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I've been saying for months players are going to be driving up salaries going into the cba negotiations. Marners deal will be be around the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad