Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Matthews extended (5 years, $11.63M AAV) part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
6 years 12m? not too impressed with this move by Dubas

and I didn't even hate on the Nylander deal

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
over 30 million shelled out and no revenue is going to hurt no matter the organization.

Again, the Leafs still prob make more money with zero games lol

We have so much profit it's absurd lol

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I still can't get over that term.

No reason for Matthews to get more than McDavid and Dubas gives up this early& easily into this kind of contract.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Damn, would've liked to see Matthews make more than McDavid, so us Leafs fans could have the bragging rights around here...

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I guess Dubas got scared of offer sheets, lol.

No doubt that was a teachable moment for Dubas, where he overcompensated to give in to a 5 year RFA, not even UFA deal for 11.63M per. Based on every comparable we have, he got worked. It's disappointing for the other teams that have RFA's coming up. Now agents can cite this deal. The most recent 5 year RFA deal is Larkin at 6.1. And anyone who watches these 2 play head to head this season will know, there is no way Matthews is 5.5M better than Larkin is on the ice or in the stats.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I kind of hope for a CBA lockout at this rate lol, or fixing things somehow. Finally getting a star player and then not being able to afford him without crippling a team is ridiculous.
They're in this spot because they added an $11m UFA in Tavares in the offseason. If they were just happy with one elite player, this isn't crippling, but having 2, well, yeah, that kinda forces tough decisions to be made everywhere else on the roster.

NK94

Feb 5, 2019
haha nailed it .how in the hell do people keep pointing out % to cap. mcdavid is generational .wtf has Matthews done except get hurt? oh wait 4 goals in his debut!
Aside from the Calder trophy and scoring 40 in his rookie season...

Last 2yrs:

ES p/60

1.McDavid (22): 3.15 (6.22pp)
2.Matthews (21): 3.14 (6.72pp)
3.Kucherov (25): 3.13 (8.58pp)
4.Gaudreau (25): 2.83 (5.71pp)
5.MacKinnon (23): 2.77 (7.59pp)

ES p1/60

1.Matthews (21): 2.67 (5.38pp)
2.McDavid (22): 2.37 (4.67pp)
3.Kucherov (25): 2.37 (5.98pp)
4.Gaudreau (25): 2.31 (3.50pp)
5.MacKinnon (23): 2.25 (5.53pp)

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Without Marner, Leafs are one of the deepest teams on RW...just saying.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
It's steep. And the fact that he sets himself up to be a 26 year old UFA is magnificent work by his camp.

But if the Leafs continue trending up the next few years, they wont care much about having saved some pennies on this contract. They will still keep Marner, and with Matthews, Nylander, Marner and Reilly locked up for some time, they will be a team to contend with no matter what. Even if the depth/veteran support has to be gutted, they will still contend.

He is a 70 point winger feeding off McDavid. He is a 55 point centre playing without McDavid. Is this really hard to comprehend???

Yeah, it is a little. An asinine statement like statement like 'this 55 point player' about a player that has hit (and will hit) 70 for three years running is hard to comprehend. I would understand it if he hit 55 one season when McDavid was on the shelf, but you've seemingly just pulled this number from....nothing. Out of thin air.

Even if, in a vacuum, you judge him to automatically be lesser player, he's going to be playing with McDavid until 2025 (unless they get another awful GM). So he is, in practice and by the numbers, a much better player than you claim.

But hey, if you have some secret arbitrary handicapping scale for players you dont like, that's great. I'm not emotionally invested in your rivalry. And its way off topic for this thread anyway.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Trade Matthews, He clearly doesn't want to be a Leaf. 5 years at this aav screams he doesnt want to be here.
Fire Dubas before he gets a chance to sign Marner. prob should have kept Lou around a little longer.
I'm actually disgusted right now.
I might also be over reacting but what else are we to think. this is 100% NOT a team first type contract. very selfish signing. 5 years...... freaking joke.

Might be overreacting? This term gives enough flexibility to keep the core together until we shed Marleau's contract ideally. I'd like a lower caphit but it's not the end of the world. It's just not a discount.

member 157595

I still can't get over that term.

Neither can we. It's an unacceptable contract and I'm praying that the media rips Dubas horribly, repeatedly and endlessly for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad