Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Matthews extended (5 years, $11.63M AAV) part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
He's making sure that guys like Laine/Point/Aho/Mikko get the money they deserve.:thumbu:

You mean he's going to sign them too, lol. Because every other GM in the league is smart enough not to give out the stupid contracts Dubas has. Dubas' Nylander, Matthews and (future) Marner signings will look worse than Chia's McDavid/Drai/Lucic by a mile.

Reactions: libertarian

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Can't imagine the brass in Colorado is too happy with this.
They have tonnes of cap , and there's is a rw . They signed their franchise center when he was a 50 point player that was seemingly getting worst .

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
If this was me at the 4pm conference:

ME: Matty, you said you didn't want to sign the 8 year deal, because the money was too much?

AM: Yes, this is correct

ME: The reports are saying with inflation, and McDavids 12.5m contract, you would have been close to 14m on a 8 year?

AM: Yes, correct

ME: McDavid has won a hart, Lyndsey, and 2 art ross, how is this a comparable?

AM: .......... OK folks, that's enough questions.
haha nailed it .how in the hell do people keep pointing out % to cap. mcdavid is generational .wtf has Matthews done except get hurt? oh wait 4 goals in his debut!

Reactions: KCC and DanM

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
How badly do the Leafs get screwed up if there is a lockout? If Marner signs you figure it's going to have a similar bonus structure. 30+ million in bonuses during a lockout has to wreck an organization.

LOL it's the Leafs dude, we print money (bonuses are nothing for us)

Reactions: Julio Jones

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Its not exactly a discount but Ive said for a while that id be happy with matthews and marner for 22

Reactions: Devonator

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

ME: Matty, you said you didn't want to sign the 8 year deal, because the money was too much?

ME: The reports are saying with inflation, and McDavids 12.5m contract, you would have been close to 14m on a 8 year?

I'm not sure why you think that Matthews has to answer for the contract he signed. Anyone with a brain is going to try to get the most money they can.

If you want to have the media rag on Dubas, I get it. And they certainly will. Toronto media isn't exactly known for lobbing softballs.

As far as the deal, I think it's over by about 500k or so, or under by a year on the length. Not ideal, but certainly not back breaking. The Leafs still have enough wiggle room, even without decimating their depth, to keep the core together long term.

Reactions: DelusionalLeafsFan

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
they signed 12 year contracts lol, which is what you want for a player like that

and their shorter contract still made them RFA

this 5 year deal is just marginally better than a 4 year contract which will never happen unless Matthews is the GM
No they didn't you're looking at their ufa contracts.

I Hate Philadelphia

Aug 10, 2015
Orlando, Florida
Since everyone likes to complain and say Crosby took a discount here are the cap% for all the big name players 2nd(or 3rd in new CBA) contracts:

Crosby 17.3%
McDavid 16.67%
Malkin 15.34%
Eichel 13.33%
Matthews 14.63%
Stamkos 11.66%
Kucherov 11.95%
Kane 11.09%, 2nd 15.22% (New CBA)
Perry (3rd contract new CBA) 13.41%
Drai 11.33%
Tarasenko 10.27%
Kuznetsov 10.4%

Crosby first 2 seasons 222pts in 160 games / Matthews 132pts in 144 games. Matthews isn't even close to the same planet as Crosby in terms of skill/value so stop comparing them.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
You mean he's going to sign them too, lol. Because every other GM in the league is smart enough not to give out the stupid contracts Dubas has. Dubas' Nylander, Matthews and (future) Marner signings will look worse than Chia's McDavid/Drai/Lucic by a mile.

No they won't. You're ignoring the trends to take a shot at the Leafs.

Reactions: DelusionalLeafsFan

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
couldn't you get him for 6 years with the same $?

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
How badly do the Leafs get screwed up if there is a lockout? If Marner signs you figure it's going to have a similar bonus structure. 30+ million in bonuses during a lockout has to wreck an organization.

Maybe it would wreck Arizona, not the highest revenue generating team in the league.

member 157595

I kind of hope for a CBA lockout at this rate lol, or fixing things somehow. Finally getting a star player and then not being able to afford him without crippling a team is ridiculous.

Tampa seems to do OK. It's our GM that negotiates like a cheerleader.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Seems like this contract favors Matthews in every possible way.
Only 1 year of ufa given up. Ufa at an early age.
AAV seems like it would have been a slight overpay at 8 years. At 5 years? wow

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
God damn that's a lit of money for 5 years.

Makes McDavid look underpaid.

If someone offer sheets tkachuk I'm not sure Calgary should match it at these prices. Theres going to be some bargin contracts for none elite players if this is how top end contracts are going.

Teams like Vegas are going to do well imo.

Reactions: libertarian

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada

Again none of this is AM's fault.

Also I don't think you can just compare everyone to McDavid's contract, McDavid is currently paid less than he's worth to the team. He could easily be making 14 mil right now and it would be hard to argue that it would undeserved. If it worked like that nobody would have gone past Crosby's 8.7 or Ovechkin's 9.5 when those contracts were the benchmarks. Just not the way it works.

Reactions: DanM

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Trade Matthews, He clearly doesn't want to be a Leaf. 5 years at this aav screams he doesnt want to be here.
Fire Dubas before he gets a chance to sign Marner. prob should have kept Lou around a little longer.
I'm actually disgusted right now.
I might also be over reacting but what else are we to think. this is 100% NOT a team first type contract. very selfish signing. 5 years...... freaking joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad