Waived: [TOR] Maple Leafs waive C Jason Spezza and G Aaron Dell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
How is that "forcing" a player to retire? If a team claims him and he doesn't want to report, that's ALL on the player.

by holding him and suspending him until he reports? In the middle of a pandemic???? He wants to be In Toronto with his family. He has the opportunity to be. He said he isn’t going anywhere else and won’t play

veterans have earned respect. To blow your rep league wide is pretty silly for a 4th liner.

Players have memories.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I was thinking this as well. Sure, he loves playing for his childhood team, but man the chance of a cup has gotta play on his mind if it were to happen.

borders. Family. Pandemic.

he has made his position clear. Maybe in a different time? Sure. But the state of the world is a factor.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
by holding him and suspending him until he reports? In the middle of a pandemic???? He wants to be In Toronto with his family. He has the opportunity to be. He said he isn’t going anywhere else and won’t play

veterans have earned respect. To blow your rep league wide is pretty silly for a 4th liner.

Players have memories.

Where in my post did I say anything about holding him and suspending him? No Where, that's the answer. All I said was if someone claims Spezza and he doesn't want to report and retires instead, that's on him. No one is forcing him to retire if he wants to.

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
borders. Family. Pandemic. he has made his position clear. Maybe in a different time? Sure. But the state of the world is a factor.

No I get that, I don't think he'll be claimed, but I'm sure he sits down and thinks about it for a few minutes at least if it's a cup contending team like Tampa.

Last edited:

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Where in my post did I say anything about holding him and suspending him? No Where, that's the answer. All I said was if someone claims Spezza and he doesn't want to report and retires instead, that's on him. No one is forcing him to retire if he wants to.

no he can refuse to report and they would have to suspend him and hold him out of the entire season.

Or he could just get the contract terminated and sign with Toronto again

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
No one would waste a claim on Spezza. Claiming Spezza helps the Leafs IMO. They are better off with him off the roster and substituting someone who can actually skate. Spezza looked gassed in the warmup skate.

I guessed you missed him going 10 for 10 on face offs, winning a lot of PK draws.

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
How could they not?

Local kid that has shown flashes of high level play. Hell, even if Smith wasn't injured I'd probably go with Dell.
Granted, I don’t know how old you are, but the hockey tendency to call everyone a kid is so weird. He’s 31. And it almost exclusively follows up ‘local’.

Reactions: Ciao

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Granted, I don’t know how old you are, but the hockey tendency to call everyone a kid is so weird. He’s 31. And it almost exclusively follows up ‘local’.

32, I actually know guys that played with him when we were youngins.

Local kid just has a nice ring to it.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Sabres have some of worst goaltending in league and I don't think Dell could help them. He's even worse than Hutton.

Sabres need a starting goalie ( at least until hopefully Luukkonen is ready ). Oilers need someone to
who has shown himself to be at least sort of NHL caliber to back Koskinen up. Thats quite a bit of a difference. Dell isn't better than Hutton or Ulmark but clearly better than Grosenik and the not ready prospects the Oilers currently have behind Koskinen.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
You want a rule that a player can't threaten to retire?

Well seeing in it, he threatens he'll terminate his contract with the claiming team, then go and sign a new contract with the Leafs, I think there should be a rule about that.

I get that he wants to play for the Leafs, but that's just fishy.

Although I do think that the taxi squad should be treated as inactive roster players for this season and waivers should just be as normal.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

Players have memories.
yeh, hockey is a business and a competitive league.
A player can F off to ECHL if he wants to pick and choose what suits him best.

If there was a player available with skillset that your team could really use how would you feel if his agent comes out and threatens rest of GMs with player retiring if claimed.

League needs to take action against the agent and nip this issue in the bud.

What if Oilers waive Larsson to gain some cap and his agent tells other GMs do not dare claim him because he wont play on your team.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Im surprised at how many opposing fanbases want Jason Spezza lmao.
Would take him over Kerfoot, Thornton or Simmonds.
Size, right shot, great on the dot, still somewhat producing, veteran presence, dirt cheap.
Pretty good for #4C \ extra forward.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Aaron Dell, and Jason Spezza are at morning practice. Very unlikely either one got claimed. Good news for us leafs fans.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Well seeing in it, he threatens he'll terminate his contract with the claiming team, then go and sign a new contract with the Leafs, I think there should be a rule about that.

Although I do think that the taxi squad should be treated as inactive roster players for this season and waivers should just be as normal.

There kind of is. Spezza wouldn't be able to do that without the other team's cooperation.

Reactions: Ciao and uncleben

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

If there was a player available with skillset that your team could really use how would you feel if his agent comes out and threatens rest of GMs with player retiring if claimed.

What if Oilers waive Larsson to gain some cap and his agent tells other GMs do not dare claim him because he wont play on your team.

They're completely different scenario's. Why would Larsson even agree to that? Most players don't want to be waived at all, and will gladly take playing over not playing. Spezza's situation is very unique and unlikely to repeat itself.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014

There is a significant difference between a 37 YO league minimum player who has made $88 M in his career and is probably only playing now because the team is the Leafs and Larsson who is 28 and has made $22 M and is being paid $5.1 M this season.
One guy probably means it when he says if you claim me I will retire and its not Larsson.

Reactions: Ciao

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014

Was there a different threat. I thought he said he would retire if someone claimed him. Retiring is NOT the same as terminating a contract and I am not sure the team claiming Spezza in this case would help him and the Leafs out by agreeing to a contract termination since if he refuses to report they suspend him and then they don't have to pay him or have his $700K contract count against the cap

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
They're completely different scenario's. Why would Larsson even agree to that? Most players don't want to be waived at all, and will gladly take playing over not playing. Spezza's situation is very unique and unlikely to repeat itself.
A player can have attachment to a city for numerous reasons. Toronto is not the only place. Larsson was just an example. It could be Chara, Vatanen, Giordano, Greene or whoever else that wants to finish their career with a certain team. Team waiving a player to save cap knowing no one else will be allowed to take him = shady at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad