Waived: [TOR] Maple Leafs waive C Jason Spezza and G Aaron Dell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
Spezza is on his last legs as a 20+ year vet in this league. His retirement wouldn’t be some conspiracy, as he has legitimate reasons too. If he prefers to play in Toronto and Toronto only he has earned that right for sticking in the league as long as he has. No one can force him to play, he’s not contractually obligated nor does he need the peanuts owed to him.

It isn’t hurting the spirit of the process, since the situation itself is pretty unique.

None of that is the point and you know it. The point is the guy puts out a statement saying if you dare claim me I will retire so don’t bother. That is complete bullshit and should not be allowed what so ever. So nobody gets to claim this player on WAIVERS because he just won’t report? That is circumventing the waiver system.

OldTimeHockey

Oct 20, 2003
Visit site
None of that is the point and you know it. The point is the guy puts out a statement saying if you dare claim me I will retire so don’t bother. That is complete bullshit and should not be allowed what so ever. So nobody gets to claim this player on WAIVERS because he just won’t report? That is circumventing the waiver system.

Let's see if it becomes a habit for teams waiving players. If it does, I'm sure something will come up in regards to circumventing the waiver system.
In regards to waivers though:
Most players that get waived and get claimed look at it as a way out from a situation where I'm not good enough to play and another team is willing to put me on their NHL roster, so yes, if you don't want me, waive me.
Jason Spezza could care less. If he's not good enough to play on the Leafs, he doesn't want to play at all.

Reactions: Rob Brown

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018

All it would take is one GM to call the player's bluff. Is a player really going to retire solely because he threatened to? Doubtful.

CTZ181

Jan 18, 2021
Im surprised at how many opposing fanbases want Jason Spezza lmao.

Reason number one billion why HF posters aren't NHL GMs. :)

We all love Spezza but all good things come to an end. Enjoy retirement Spezz. Unreal player.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
Let's see if it becomes a habit for teams waiving players. If it does, I'm sure something will come up in regards to circumventing the waiver system.
In regards to waivers though:
Most players that get waived and get claimed look at it as a way out from a situation where I'm not good enough to play and another team is willing to put me on their NHL roster, so yes, if you don't want me, waive me.
Jason Spezza could care less. If he's not good enough to play on the Leafs, he doesn't want to play at all.

thats all well and good but if you can’t even be claimed then you shouldn’t be allowed to be on waivers. It’s just a way for them to move guys around with no chance of their guy being claimed because he refuses to report. That’s an issue

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
yeh, hockey is a business and a competitive league.
A player can F off to ECHL if he wants to pick and choose what suits him best.

If there was a player available with skillset that your team could really use how would you feel if his agent comes out and threatens rest of GMs with player retiring if claimed.

League needs to take action against the agent and nip this issue in the bud.

What if Oilers waive Larsson to gain some cap and his agent tells other GMs do not dare claim him because he wont play on your team.
I mean, just this week, Chicago tried assigning Seeler to the AHL and he said, 'no, I won't report', and so Chicago cut ties with him and terminated his contract.

Players absolutely have every right to refuse any labour or assignment, but then, naturally, there likely will be consequences.

A team can claim Spezza, and if he doesn't want to play for them, he either has to formally retire (and consequently can't sign another contract for 3 years without explicit exception) or request the team terminate his contract and allow him to seek employment elsewhere in the League. At the point, the team can agree to it or they can suspend him and toll his contract.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ciao

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
You would rather circumvent the retirement system?

Tell me -- how would you go about forcing players not to retire?

Reactions: The Podium

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
All it would take is one GM to call the player's bluff. Is a player really going to retire solely because he threatened to? Doubtful.
Most players wouldn't want to retire rather than change teams, but most players aren't 37 year-old fathers of four playing in their home town on a league-minimum contract with $88-milion in career earnings under their belt.

Most players don't last more than five seasons, and most players on waivers haven't earned much and are just anxious for their next career opportunity.

Jason Spezza doesn't fit the mold for most players, and this is unlikely to be a trend.

Jason Spezza also has every right to retire -- and to announce his intention to do so -- if that's what he wants to do. It's not that he's earned it: it's just that every player has that right.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
You would rather circumvent the retirement system?

Tell me -- how would you go about forcing players not to retire?

what does that even mean? So teams should be guilt tripped into not picking a guy up then? I would take Spezza, he’s better than what we’ve got going on and a 6th of the price.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Glad he didn't make it to the Oilers. Don't want to be helping within the division.

It was pretty much a given Dell would be claimed.

Reactions: Ciao

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
what does that even mean? So teams should be guilt tripped into not picking a guy up then? I would take Spezza, he’s better than what we’ve got going on and a 6th of the price.
It means you can't force players not to retire, and you can't prevent them from threatening to retire. Its their legal right, and it's not at all a circumvention of anything.

Jason Spezza is now a much more beloved member of the Leafs than ever before. For him, at this stage of his career, it's the Leafs or nothing.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
I would claim Spezza, he is welcome to retire.

What's the point of doing that beside sabotaging the end of career of a guy and try to hurt the Maple Leafs who can replace the guy easily
We're in a middle of a Pandemic where the NHL is trying to have a formula so they can play

Reactions: Carltons Cup

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
yeh, hockey is a business and a competitive league.
A player can F off to ECHL if he wants to pick and choose what suits him best.

If there was a player available with skillset that your team could really use how would you feel if his agent comes out and threatens rest of GMs with player retiring if claimed.

League needs to take action against the agent and nip this issue in the bud.

What if Oilers waive Larsson to gain some cap and his agent tells other GMs do not dare claim him because he wont play on your team.

And forgo 4 million? Sure he could do that?

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
What's the point of doing that beside sabotaging the end of career of a guy and try to hurt the Maple Leafs who can replace the guy easily
We're in a middle of a Pandemic where the NHL is trying to have a formula so they can play

The NHL is a business, if they think he could help, they would claim him. Obviously, they dont. It's nothing to do with sabotage or pandemic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad