Waived: [TOR] Maple Leafs waive C Jason Spezza and G Aaron Dell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I really don't see how you can infer that from what he wrote.

It's not that difficult to be clear and precise if you put just a teeny-weeny bit of effort into it.
Well, I infered that because this is a hockey site, the poster is a member, it is on a board that is not team specific, and threads about the Leafs are generally larger in the amount of pages and in diversity of opinion.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
I’ll take your word over the agents I guess?

I'm just saying that Agents are not always saying the truth, sometimes they say what they think it is best for their client..... Case and point, Pulju will never play for the Oilers, his agent said so....

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Out of respect no one will take Spezza

How else will you remember to hear his laugh meme? Which we all know, will make you (as in everyone including myself) feel really happy for a couple of seconds?

edit: now I will actually read some of this thread and I know I will get to hear Spezza laugh before page 2 so thanks guys. Don't need to read 12 pages of BS when I can just watch the games and not worry about what crap is being spewed on an internet forum. Did you guys know that Liverpool and Man U ended up in a tie? Biggest game ever in my circle, and not a single person scored any sort of point.

We're lucky to be hockey fans is what I'm saying.

Last edited:

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I'm just saying that Agents are not always saying the truth, sometimes they say what they think it is best for their client..... Case and point, Pulju will never play for the Oilers, his agent said so....

It’s true, he could change his mind...but there’s a big difference in situations there. Puljus agent had all kinds of justification for going back on what he said. I don’t see it with Spezza. I don’t see him getting excited about moving his family out west for a year, for example.

I guess we will see.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
What Sports outlet do you write for? Let me guess? HFboards:laugh:

And what has this to do with anything? The point I am trying to make is that no everything which is said in the press is true, and agents will often say what they think it is best for their clients.

To me, this article looks like a PR move. It was written in case Spezza is not claimed, to help with his ego: he was not claimed not because his play declined, but because he threatened to retire.

But at the end of the day, it is up to you to believe or not what you read. Just do not try to convince me that, simply because his agent said something, that will definitely happen. It could, but I also think there is a chance it may not, and you cannot convince me otherwise.

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
I don't think any team would pickup Spezza :dunno:, but I do have a problem with a player crying and saying he will retire if another team picks him up. I think the league should give the player/agent a fine and tell them to shut up.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
And what has this to do with anything? The point I am trying to make is that no everything which is said in the press is true, and agents will often say what they think it is best for their clients.

To me, this article looks like a PR move. It was written in case Spezza is not claimed, to help with his ego: he was not claimed not because his play declined, but because he threatened to retire.

But at the end of the day, it is up to you to believe or not what you read. Just do not try to convince me that, simply because his agent said something, that will definitely happen. It could, but I also think there is a chance it may not, and you cannot convince me otherwise.

Obviously it is a PR move, in hopes of influencing teams to not claim him. Your response seems to doubt it was even true. I don't think a GM is basing it off of the TML news, they will talk to the agent and see if the player is interested in playing for their team. They can confirm if he will indeed retire if X team claims him. Obviously no one knows what will happen, but with Covid, he may not want to go over the border and quarantine for 2 weeks and move his family, he's too old for that.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Obviously it is a PR move, in hopes of influencing teams to not claim him. Your response seems to doubt it was even true. I don't a GM is basing it off of the news, they will talk to the agent and see if the player is interested in playing for their team. They can confirm if he will indeed retire if X team claims him. Obviously no one knows what will happen, but with Covid, he may not want to go over the border and quarantine for 2 weeks and move his family, he's too old for that.

I am not saying that his agent didn't say it, I am just saying that his agent saying this publically is NOT the same thing as Spezza being decided to retire no matter who claims him.

I am sure that there are few teams for which, he may prefer to retire than go through the hassle of going through a move during the pandemic. On another hand, going over the border and quarantine means that he gets paid not to play for the next 14 days, doesn't it? (anyhow this is irrelevant).

But do you really think it would be a huge hassle for him to move for example to Ottawa? And do you really see him say no to Tampa, and a real chance at the cup, for example? Not that Tampa will claim him/

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Didn't the Toronto media freak out when Spezza got scratched last year? Or was that just because they hated Babcock.

OK:

Do some research before you post.

Jason Spezza is a Toronto born player. He is most known for playing for the Ottawa Senators for nearly his entire career.

Jason Spezza somehow ends up on the Toronto Maple Leafs at the end of his career because it suits him and his family (and maybe was always a dream for him too, maybe he's got pajamas, who knows)

Jason Spezza is SCRATCHED for the season opener on his DEBUT with the Maple Leafs, who are playing the OTTAWA SENATORS, the team that he represented his whole career.

It's so disrespectful, I'm only now realizing how f***ing shitty that was.

'It's a joke': Reaction to Mike Babcock scratching Jason Spezza for Toronto Maple Leafs opener - TSN.ca

Wow. (and i already knew this I just didn't really let it click like it is now)

So if that was Babcock. Just wow. But maybe it went higher than that, I don't and cannot know. But I can only assume it was a Babcock power struggle with someone else, and that's sad.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
except professional hockey management is not spiteful and petty like 99% of the man-children on this board. it's been publicly declared they will get absolutely nothing if they claim Spezza. so no, they won't do it purely to spite the Leafs and insult the wishes of a veteran like Spezza.

so yes, the Leafs were successful in strong arming other teams in this case. it's crafty, but i don't think it could be pulled off often by most teams/players

lol “insult the wishes” give me a break. If a team decides it improves the roster they should claim him.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I don't think any team would pickup Spezza :dunno:, but I do have a problem with a player crying and saying he will retire if another team picks him up. I think the league should give the player/agent a fine and tell them to shut up.

Same for any player that asks for a trade? What about players that speak to teams before they are traded to them to negotiate a contract? Players can't voice that they are only willing to play for one team or will retire? Insane stance. This isn't a 25 year old who is throwing away the rest of his career, it is a player on the way out that is only sticking around to play for one team, if that falls through, it is in his right to retire and he is letting other teams know.

Subbanned

Nov 4, 2011
lol “insult the wishes” give me a break. If a team decides it improves the roster they should claim him.

yes a team will really decide it improves their roster to claim a player that has publically stated he would rather retire than report anywhere else. herp derp

Reactions: banks and Ciao

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Fine for what lol? This was already known when he signed and then resigned in Toronto, only wants to play here, makes even more sense with a family during a pandemic. I guess every player that says they want to be traded should be fined too. Let's throw in Ayers that block trades because they don't want to ay for a team too.

Reactions: banks

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
yes a team will really decide it improves their roster to claim a player that has publically stated he would rather retire than report anywhere else. herp derp

Hmmm. Good point there. Maybe with everything going on, there are guys that will retire through waivers somehow because it benefits both the team and player.

Do we think Spezza getting waived is him retiring while financially gaining benefit for everyone involved?

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
I don't think any GM would claim Spezza even without the threat of retiring, but out of respect.

It's likely his last year, he'd have to move his family (or go without them) during a pandemic and if it's an American team he (and his family, if they joined him) would probably have to quarantine upon arrival in his new city. And judging how badly Covid is spreading in the States, exposing he and his family to an increased risk.

All that for a guy who won't see anything but 4th line minutes? That would be a pretty s* thing to do.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

That was s one possibility out of many. You are right in saying that the media is not always honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad