Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] John Tavares signs with the Leafs (7 years, $11M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Leaf fans reaction if we get Tavares

AiSzbaj.gif

giphy.gif

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
If he doesn't sign tonight it could just mean that he hasn't decided yet. He could still get the full 8 years if he waited past July 1st.

Case in point: what if the Isles make significant upgrades? They are reportedly looking for a goalie, and could get a key free agent or two. In theory the main reason JT is considering leaving Brooklyn is because the team is good, but with Lu in charge and good moves already happening it's a whole new ball game.
No the 8th year is absolutely off the table the second it crosses to July 1.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I feel bad for Islanders fans. This **** sucks.

If I'm an Isles fan, I lost all hope sometime this afternoon. If he were working on a deal with the Isles, he would have informed other teams.

Matt24

Apr 8, 2013
Tavares and/or the Isles owe it to their fans to make an announcement before Midnight if he ain’t coming back.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Okay we’ll hes at LEAST not a random troll in a basement like a lot of these hacks are. So there’s that.
He actually has contacts within Toronto sports. Even when he was morning show host for the Edge, he was always talking to Leafs/Jays.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
NYI can sign him for 8 years until 12pm ET?

No. Tavares is officially a free agent starting midnight ET. In about 3 hours.

I believe that Tavares can sign anything after midnight with any team but it cannot be made official till Noon ET. I don’t think we are hearing anything till maybe tomorrow afternoon if Tavares does not sign within 3 hours and change.

That’s all the time that the Islanders have to sign him for 8 years. After that, they just become one of the teams looking to get him with no advantage of an additional year to offer.

Reactions: oobga

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Trying to spin a positive for Islanders fans: maybe the Islanders knew weeks ago Tavares was out and that spurned the firing of Snow and Weight.

Sign Tavares but stuck with Snow and Weight <<<<<< Lose Tavares but Lou and Trotz replace the goon squad.

If Snow couldn't build a contender around Tavares on the biggest bargain contract in the league, what was going to happen with his contract doubled? More than doubled?

Reactions: MattBarzal

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I wouldn't even want that 8th year. I would feel a lot better about having enough in the tank to get another decent contract at 36 instead of 37.

If money is the important factor there is also the taxes to consider. In some cities he can make more take home pay with a 7 year deal with same AAV as an Islander 8 year deal.

I imagine chance to win a cup and comfort will be importance factors above the total gross or net salaries.

Reactions: JT Kreider
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad