Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] John Tavares signs with the Leafs (7 years, $11M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I can't wait until I get Tavares in the 8th round in my fantasy draft in September. Nobody else is going to touch him while he's still making his decision on where he is signing

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
doubt it.
1) Toronto doesn't want to give up assets when they can sign him for free soon
2) Tavares doesn't want his new team to give up assets
3) Lou said he won't do a sign and trade

1.) Tavares might really want that 8th year, and some team saying, "We'll get that for you," could have been the tipping point.
2.) Maybe not, but he likely wants the money an 8th year would add.
3.) Which I think could be the hold up.

I'm not saying this is all true. Just saying I think the hold up might be more than the decision being tough. There could be things going on behind the scenes.

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
FYI for people wondering how Tavares would handle playing for the leafs. Tavares doesn’t feel pressure and nothing fazes him. The Toronto media won’t bother him one bit. He’s a damn robot.

If he can handle all of the pressure from the monster thread, he can handle anything!

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
FYI for people wondering how Tavares would handle playing for the leafs. Tavares doesn’t feel pressure and nothing fazes him. The Toronto media won’t bother him one bit. He’s a damn robot.
The players a lot more insulated in Toronto these days then they were in the past as well.

poolparty98

Aug 6, 2017
You're wrong but more than that Tavares grew up here he knows what to expect already.

True enough, but what if he gets off to slow start, puts up 20 pts before Christmas or so team is around 500. He will be ripped by fans on the call in show for being an overpaid bum so fast, he may be okay with that, sometimes family may not like all the negivity that goes along with the contract and expectations. Especially in a market like Toronto..

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I wouldn't even want that 8th year. I would feel a lot better about having enough in the tank to get another decent contract at 36 instead of 37.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Got give him credit if he chooses Leafs. He immediately becomes the number one target for any failures this team has. Especially if contact is a big one as expected. If they win, he will be a hero. if they don’t win in next couple of years or even if he gets off to slow start, the media and fans will rip him to shreds in that market. Something he has not seen before, it will be interesting if he subjects his family to that scrutiny.

Babcock will be the first target.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
They're alive, but they've moved to Florida.

Good.

When does their Twitter account go live so they can live tweet the horrible neglect they suffered from me because of one Mr. John Tavares and his inability to choose a destination.

Who cares if this is your (Tavares) biggest decision ever. Appease the fans, damn it.

The sooner he signs/agrees the sooner we can see teams over pay for the other FAs.

Well... We're waiting...

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I wouldn't even want that 8th year. I would feel a lot better about having enough in the tank to get another decent contract at 36 instead of 37.

Yeah, but it's still probably not gonna make up the 11-13m you lose by not taking the 8th year.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I honestly feel bad for Islanders fans

Why? They aren’t out of it yet. Feel bad if it’s past 12. That means he’s definitely gone because only an idiot would take too long to decide and then sign a 7 year deal instead of getting an 8 year deal.

Sep 18, 2009
Leaf fans reaction if we get Tavares
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad