Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] John Tavares signs with the Leafs (7 years, $11M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
The Lightning were the only team to take the Caps to seven games this year and the only team to take the Pens to seven games two years ago. So if anything two out of the last three years the “the real stanley Cup Final” was the Lightning against whoever their ECF opponent was (and unfortunately they lost both of them.)

Tavares would be nuts not to go to Tampa. It’s his best shot to win. That said if I was him I would probably tell Yzerman the only way I’m signing is if Johnson and Kucherov are the guys who get moved. If you move McDonagh or any of the dmen to open cap space I’m not signing

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
That's laughable on it face. Toronto's goaltending and defense are horrible, what's more is you just lost JVR and bozak who is com g to fill there shoes or production ?

Chicago has a lot going in there youth and by next year you will see a huge change in there defense plus there young forwards.

Who on the leafs,, team can compare to Chicago's top players in return of experience , proven history when it's counts to rise to the occasion and produce?

I'll take a healthy Corey Crawford over any goaltender in the league he has only gotten better and proved he can be the better goalie in playoff games with 2 rings and 3 conference finals.

Like I said Toronto fans have some pipe dreams and clearly the team is not ready to be considered a strong contender.

The conference you play in is really weak not to mention you have to be more than a 1st round exit for anyone to consider them a threat. Lol
lol andersen finished in the top 5 for the vezina..but random dude on the internet says hes "horrible" so im conflicted.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
The Lightning were the only team to take the Caps to seven games this year and the only team to take the Pens to seven games two years ago. So if anything two out of the last three years “the real Stanley Cup Final” was the Lightning against whoever their ECF opponent was (and unfortunately they lost both of them.)
That's nice. Try watching the games next time.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Im assuming he is torn between San Jose and Toronto then for non hockey reasons. If it was about money he would of re upped in New York with that eighth year.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Tavares would be nuts not to go to Tampa. It’s his best shot to win. That said if I was him I would probably tell Yzerman the only way I’m signing is if Johnson and Kucherov are the guys who get moved. If you move McDonagh or any of the dmen to open cap space I’m not signing

And Yzerman would kindly tell him to go f*** himself. We’d move Johnson to get Tavares (longterm implications with cap and depth aside) but there’s not a chance in hell we’d trade Kucherov for him.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
He signed all those contracts nobody else forced him.

He is at the age in his career that he knows no matter what he does , he will be paid. Most players start to slow down in there late 20's . He could get his payday and become M.I.A that happens a lot with players they get there payday and there play drops off.

Did you just start watching hockey like 2 days ago?

The odds of a elite talent dropping off the production cliff at his age is about slim and close to none.

Keep telling yourself all you need to to absorb the salt. I honestly was hoping to see JT go elsewhere just to see the salt from #PotatoNation but now... I want to see the salt that comes from him signing in TO and at a below market value rate to boot!

beer123

Nov 15, 2009
Because you clearly know that both Tavares and Matthews are franchise C's right? Nobody would debate that.

Read what he was replying to. The original post indicated there were already two number one centres and Leafs will get a third one. The third being Tavares. Who is the 2nd number one center with Matthews as the other? Reading comprehension...

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Nobody would debate either that the duo would still be miles behind the geriatric duo of actual franchise C in Pittsburgh.

I'm not saying they're ahead of Crosby/Malkin. Those are two all time greats. Going forward though, the obvious choice would be the much younger pair. Let me get this straight though, by using the phrase "actual franchise C", I take it you don't think Matthews and Tavares are franchise C's?

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
I mean, all you kind of have to do is look at some of the stats for Toronto goaltending. there is also the AHL dominating (and championship winning) tandem of Sparks and Pickard waiting in the wings should one of those two guys really go down. Toronto is actually pretty stacked in net.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Well your post stated two franchise centers plus a 3rd 1C. Kind of confusing, didn't know the leafs had so many elite 1C's.

It wasn't my post. I didn't state they have 3 #1C's. But you did insinuate that you don't think Matthews and Tavares are both franchise C's which is borderline nuts.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
That's nice. Try watching the games next time.

I did. The Caps sucked in 2016 and the Pens sucked this year. But thanks for the childish snide comment - it really shows the depth of your maturity and your ability to put forth an intelligent argument.:thumbu:

Feb 24, 2017
I'm not saying they're ahead of Crosby/Malkin. Those are two all time greats. Going forward though, the obvious choice would be the much younger pair. Let me get this straight though, by using the phrase "actual franchise C", I take it you don't think Matthews and Tavares are franchise C's?
They’re each a tier above. Phrase it how you wish. I was sloppy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad