Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Joe Thornton signs with the Maple Leafs (1 year, $700K) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I think in the playoffs we will see Jumbo playing more important minutes, and seeing time with top wingers, like Marner.

That will be scary

Thornton cant get around the ice quick enough. Imagine him caught out against Tampa's forwards.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Dubas isn't going anywhere. Right or wrong its a fact... you honestly think if the leafs miss the playoffs this year ( which they won't) that they will fire the GM??? LOL.. the coach will first

I honestly think, if the Leafs miss the playoffs this year, that Dubas absolutely will be fired.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Normally I would agree, but if we have a messed up, irregular season due to Covid he might get run into 21-22.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Agree to disagree on Reilly.

He was awful last year.

Good pros can take a hit. That's kinda how hockey works.

Rielly was playing hurt for most of the season. You couldn’t have watched him and thought that was the true Rielly. When healthy he’s a solid 60 point defenseman who has never had a partner to make him better. It’s always been the other way around. I think Brodie will allow him to be a true top pairing guy going forward.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
And still no number 1

And still a soft as butter top 6 that is afraid of contact

Team is really no different

Thornton's beard will be fun to look at though

Sit down, son. There's something we need to talk about.

You see, Thornton's beard...it's...it's gone to a better place.

His beard lived a good, long life and was well oiled and cared for. But it got old and needed to be with its own kind. Joey Thornton took it out to a field and let it free with all the other beards. It's out there with Zetterberg's and Butch Goring's beard. It's happy now.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Rielly was playing hurt for most of the season. You couldn’t have watched him and thought that was the true Rielly. When healthy he’s a solid 60 point defenseman who has never had a partner to make him better. It’s always been the other way around. I think Brodie will allow him to be a true top pairing guy going forward.
A solid 60 point defenseman? He’s broken 60 points once in his career and that year looks like an outlier.

Sep 18, 2009
You guys are high as usual, Kyle is safe.

After 3 years of Lou making terrible decisions, Kyle had a f***ing hell of a mess to clean up. He's done a good job all around.

Dubas handcuffed the team with his terrible contracts but it's all good

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
While the guy has a (somewhat deserved) reputation of being a playoff choker, I love this signing, and see him bringing alot of positive leadership to a team that can really use it.

Dubas handcuffed the team with his terrible contracts but it's all good

I think alot of that has to do with his hands being tied by Babcock's crazy coaching tactics (Matthews and Marner obviously weren't fans).

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
They had 2 top 4 defenders last year. This year they have 3 top 4 defenders.
tenor.gif

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Sit down, son. There's something we need to talk about.

You see, Thornton's beard...it's...it's gone to a better place.

His beard lived a good, long life and was well oiled and cared for. But it got old and needed to be with its own kind. Joey Thornton took it out to a field and let it free with all the other beards. It's out there with Zetterberg's and Butch Goring's beard. It's happy now.

I enjoyed this post.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

moropanov

Mar 7, 2015
This is a good signing. The biggest flaw in Maple Leafs roster for the last several years has been that their #1 center is unable to make plays. Thornton could teach Matthews some of his playmaking skills and Matthews could take a leap from 3o assist, 80 point Peter Bondra type player to 50+50, prime Heatley level production.

Habaholic25

Oct 22, 2020
Condensed schedule... Hopefully Joe has gas left in the tank when the Leafs really need him! Playoffs!

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Rielly and Muzzin aren't/weren't top 4 guys? Brodie isn't? Which one of these 3 aren't legit top 4 dmen...

Obvious top 4 dmen: Rielly Muzzin Brodie

There are also a few on the brink of being top 4 d-men: Dermott and Holl

There is one that performed like a top 4 in the playoffs: Bogosian

There are also a few that have been touted as future top 4 dmen: Sandin Liljegren Lehtonen

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
Dubas had some bad moves, namely kadri and marleau trades. overpaid on matthews marner and nylander about a couple mil aav combined.

hes made some half decent deals to make up for it tho so far and is good at drafting.

would give the dubas reign a B- to B i think

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
I don’t want Jumbo Joe on this team personally, mainly because I just don’t see what he adds.

Take the name recognition away and put his skill set and age into some random person, and is there anyway the Leafs do this?

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009

Always an excuse.

Hainsey made people think Reilly was a Norris candidate. Then Haisney was shipped out and replaced by Barrie...

If Reilly is going up against the other team's best, I think you're in trouble. But let's see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad