Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Joe Thornton signs with the Maple Leafs (1 year, $700K) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Dubas trying to correct mistakes he made in the past thinking you don't need good pros to help a young core. This is a guy who picked AJ and Kapanen over Marleau and a 1st round pick. Only to then trade those same guys the next offseason. That mistake cost the Leafs a 1st ++.

Should have listened to Babcock about needing good pros on the team. Instead Dubas filled the team with water bugs who are afraid of physical contact.

While I like the logic behind some of these moves, ultimately I don't think they will help. It's tough for 4th line guys to come in and take over a room.
The core of this team plays a gutless style that can't be successful in the playoffs. Having Thornton play 8 minutes a night isn't going to help them play a playoff style that will get them out of the 1st round. And it's entirely possible this is a lottery team anyway.

Dubas should have been more bold with the changes instead of only adding around the fringes. Shows he thinks the core of the team is fine, which is where he will fail and ultimately lose his job after this season.

Your first clue would be it cost a first to get rid of one whereas the other brought back a first and a prospect.....

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Leafs known for being a speedy team now more like the turtle team...

Out Kapanen, Johnsson & Barrie

In Turtle Spezza, Jumbo slow, Hasbeen Simmonds

Yikers this from a team that spent last 5 years bragging about being the youngest team....
Robertson lehtonen, and Brodie are in now too sister. Unfortunately, That doesn’t fit What you’re selling does it?

imagine:
A. Not knowing everyone the leafs brought in but pretending you do and mocking their lowest risk acquisitions
B. Having to omit their 3 best skating pick ups to justify an uneducated narrative. That’s a tough look. Some serious mental gymnastics there.

oh, and johnsson was injured for much of last year, as was mikheyev who is now healthy. Slower? Maybe, but not by much. Nice try though

Reactions: nofehr

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Why Toronto though? I thought he wanted to win a cup before retiring.

only team that wanted him despite what he said in his interview. 700 000k isn’t much cap room to be honest, future hall of gamer me why not.

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
I could be wrong here but aside from leadership Thornton could help a teams power play and not much else’s at this point in his career. The leafs already had a lights out power play so I fail to see how his role will improve their power play. The fit to me doesn’t make sense beyond the leadership role but we will see. I can’t hope for nothing but then best for big joe so I hope he proves me wrong.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
is he really going to say no teams were interested? like cmon.

I would say that at $700k and only one year, virtually no teams were truly interested. Unfortunate.

This seems odd signing to me because it appears that teams have been shifting away from big guys on the 3rd and 4th lines to guys with speed. Not flat out speed, but guys that can keep their legs moving and speed up for all periods. Jumbo cannot do this now. He's slow, and gets very tired out there.

His leadership off the ice appears to still be top notch though. Body-wise and puck control, he gets knocked off the puck much so compared to his prime when it was rare. He's susceptible in the PP due to this, when years past he was darn near invincible.

If Jumbo cannot cut it, TOR will find a way to negate his cap hit as they always seem to do, then move back to SJ on a retirement contract. I would not be surprised if TOR waives him during the season and he comes back in teal.

His last jersey will be teal.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Lol give me what you smoking.

Shanahan and Dubas have put us in the best situation that we have been in like 50 years.

We've never had a good young skilled team like this on the brink of being a contender.

How many more kicks at the can are you going to give them?

Honest question.

This team hasn't won a single playoff round since 2004.

Also, how is the 2020-2021 roster Dubas assembled (with guidance from Shanny I'm sure), "the best situation that we have been in like 50 years"? What specifically sets this roster apart from the one that didn't even make the playoffs last season?

Reactions: Lt Dan

MLSE

Jan 30, 2004
Windsor, Ontario
Lol give me what you smoking.

Shanahan and Dubas have put us in the best situation that we have been in like 50 years.

We've never had a good young skilled team like this on the brink of being a contender.

GettyImages-87987066-1024x668.jpg

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Honest question.

Also, how is the 2020-2021 roster Dubas assembled (with guidance from Shanny I'm sure), "the best situation that we have been in like 50 years"? What specifically sets this roster apart from the one that didn't even make the playoffs last season?

Well let's see let's start with the significantly deeper and better defense, last year Marincin was the #7 D and it ended up costing them a series because he is NOT NHL caliber, now he is #10 at best because now the Leafs have at least 8, probably 9 NHL caliber D.

Then we get to the fact that they won't have Michael Hutchinson pissing away points most of the year, Jack Campbell can actually play and behind him is Aaron Dell so Toronto is set in net.

They lost nothing from their top 6.

The bottom 6 did take hit in terms of speed but the ALL skill plan didn't work, they needed grit and toughness and now they have added that and are a more balanced lineup.

Overall they are a better team.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010

Honest question.

Dubas should be re-evaluated at his 5 years as GM mark.

How's the drafting, how's the development, how's the roster compared to the rest of the league, how's the team unity, how are the results.

Has he learned from his mistakes?

I don't think his results are spectacular right now, but I think they will get better, so let's review at the 5 year mark.

Even JFJ was GM from 2003-2008.

Reactions: Ulysses31

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I would say that at $700k and only one year, virtually no teams were truly interested. Unfortunate.

This seems odd signing to me because it appears that teams have been shifting away from big guys on the 3rd and 4th lines to guys with speed. Not flat out speed, but guys that can keep their legs moving and speed up for all periods. Jumbo cannot do this now. He's slow, and gets very tired out there.

His leadership off the ice appears to still be top notch though. Body-wise and puck control, he gets knocked off the puck much so compared to his prime when it was rare. He's susceptible in the PP due to this, when years past he was darn near invincible.

If Jumbo cannot cut it, TOR will find a way to negate his cap hit as they always seem to do, then move back to SJ on a retirement contract. I would not be surprised if TOR waives him during the season and he comes back in teal.

His last jersey will be teal.

Joe Thornton is not being waived.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Dubas should be re-evaluated at his 5 years as GM mark.

How's the drafting, how's the development, how's the roster compared to the rest of the league, how's the team unity, how are the results.

Has he learned from his mistakes?

I don't think his results are spectacular right now, but I think they will get better, so let's review at the 5 year mark.

Even JFJ was GM from 2003-2008.

Dubas does not have, nor deserve 3 more years he HAS to make REAL progress this year if not then you have to consider firing him.

On paper this is the best team the Leafs have had since March 2004 when they gor Leetch.

This is the best team they have started a season with since 1999.

There are no more excuses it's time for results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad