Rumor: TOR has more “irons in the fire”

Status
Not open for further replies.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Leaf fans, do you think Kadri is going to be alright with being a third line center? Or may they look to move him and upgrade elsewhere?
His contract is one of the best values out there. Leafs will roll JT,Matthews and kadri eating up most the ice time at center. Every game the leafs play the opposition will only get about 7 minutes against a center who isn't a 30 goal scorer. Kadri is going anywhere....

LucicAndChong

formerly known as Big Sugar
Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
The Wild have nowhere for Gardiner to play and cannot afford to extend him. There is no way this will happen.

Not trying to be ignorant but is Gardiner not better than at least their 3rd pairing LHD? I assume he would be as good if not better than their 2nd pairing LHD, allowing them to trade whoever was in that space for Picks/More Cap Room/RHD, and also wouldn’t they be able to re-sign him if they no longer have Spurgeon Contract on the books?

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Ha ha, I get long winded but like to be thorough. I guess I could of just said this.

Crosby > Tavares
Malkin > Mathews
Kessel > Marner

Pens 3 in top 10 scorers and Leafs and Tavares none in top 15.

Pens have better supporting cast also.

Is that better?!:laugh:
Pens do not have a better supporting cast, like really not even close.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Not trying to be ignorant but is Gardiner not better than at least their 3rd pairing LHD? I assume he would be as good if not better than their 2nd pairing LHD, allowing them to trade whoever was in that space for Picks/More Cap Room/RHD, and also wouldn’t they be able to re-sign him if they no longer have Spurgeon Contract on the books?
He's a better player than Seeler, but Seeler at $725k as the bottom-pairing LD makes a whole lot more sense than Gardiner at $4m (and likely much more than that on an extension).

If we ignore the fall-out, going from Brodin to Gardiner on the 2nd pairing seems like an upgrade. But it falls apart when you consider the bigger picture:

- This still leaves us with a big question mark on the right side
- We're going to be paying a ****ton of money for Suter ($7.5m), Dumba ($6.5m?) and Gardiner ($6.Xm?), which makes filling that RD hole even harder
- Unless the return for Brodin is incredibly good, all we've done is stuck a top-4 that was already great in the blender and made it more expensive. And it's entirely likely that we've made it worse.

The Wild's defense looks very good right now. I think with Dumba's development over the last 3 years we can afford to move Spurgeon and trade a forward for a cheaper, younger middle-pairing RD, but Spurgeon for Gardiner makes very little sense for us.

Reactions: MasonL2862

LucicAndChong

Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
He's a better player than Seeler, but Seeler at $725k as the bottom-pairing LD makes a whole lot more sense than Gardiner at $4m (and likely much more than that on an extension).

If we ignore the fall-out, going from Brodin to Gardiner on the 2nd pairing seems like an upgrade. But it falls apart when you consider the bigger picture:

- This still leaves us with a big question mark on the right side
- We're going to be paying a ****ton of money for Suter ($7.5m), Dumba ($6.5m?) and Gardiner ($6.Xm?), which makes filling that RD hole even harder
- Unless the return for Brodin is incredibly good, all we've done is stuck a top-4 that was already great in the blender and made it more expensive. And it's entirely likely that we've made it worse.

The Wild's defense looks very good right now. I think with Dumba's development over the last 3 years we can afford to move Spurgeon and trade a forward for a cheaper, younger middle-pairing RD, but Spurgeon for Gardiner makes very little sense for us.
Thanks for your thorough response, If I’m honest I don’t know much about the Wilds D, is your current 3rd pairing RHD good enough to play 2nd pairing? If so the Leafs could add in or replace a piece to add someone like Connor Carrick, a good 3rd Pairing RHD who just needs more opportunities to play. Also, if you need a cheap RHD, could you use Brodin + whatever pick we send over for better trade value?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Thanks for your thorough response, If I’m honest I don’t know much about the Wilds D, is your current 3rd pairing RHD good enough to play 2nd pairing? If so the Leafs could add in or replace a piece to add someone like Connor Carrick, a good 3rd Pairing RHD who just needs more opportunities to play. Also, if you need a cheap RHD, could you use Brodin + whatever pick we send over for better trade value?
Pateryn played on the 2nd pairing with Hamuis in Dallas, so in a pinch he can maybe do it with Brodin. I would not want any part of a Gardiner-Pateryn second pairing.

Trading LHD for RHD is difficult and, again, we're just dancing around trying to fix a Wild defense that was never broken to facilitate a trade that doesn't help us.

LucicAndChong

Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Pateryn played on the 2nd pairing with Hamuis in Dallas, so in a pinch he can maybe do it with Brodin. I would not want any part of a Gardiner-Pateryn second pairing.

Trading LHD for RHD is difficult and, again, we're just dancing around trying to fix a Wild defense that was never broken to facilitate a trade that doesn't help us.
That’s fair enough, thanks for your response

LucicAndChong

Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada

How would you feel about trading Zaitsev (RHD) + the conditional 4th from the last post for Spurgeon?

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
His contract is one of the best values out there. Leafs will roll JT,Matthews and kadri eating up most the ice time at center. Every game the leafs play the opposition will only get about 7 minutes against a center who isn't a 30 goal scorer. Kadri is going anywhere....

Great post. We are NOT trading Kadri, Nylander, Marner, etc.

Reactions: 93gilmour93

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
What would we have to add to Zaitsev for Spurgeon?
There is no deal to be made around Zaitsev for Spurgeon. I mean Toronto can add Nylander or something, but they're not going to do that and, even if they did, it just sticks Minnesota with a big contract for a player they don't need.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
CDH is an LD, and we’ve already got too many (Rielly, Gards, Dermott and Borgman). If we do sign him, trades are coming.

Personally, if we’re making changes to our D, I’d rather trade Gards+ for a good RD, and just roll with Rielly/Dermott/Borgman on the left side.

Cotton

May 13, 2013

Travis Dermott, imo no. Offensively yes.

LucicAndChong

Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
There is no deal to be made around Zaitsev for Spurgeon. I mean Toronto can add Nylander or something, but they're not going to do that and, even if they did, it just sticks Minnesota with a big contract for a player they don't need.
Lol there is no way Zaitsev + Nylander is anywhere close to Spurgeon. Nylander for Spurgeon straight up isn’t even close to fair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad