Rumor: TOR has more “irons in the fire”

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Leafs signs CDH to a 3 year, 4million dollar "show me" contract.
Leafs trade Hainsey + Martin to the Panthers with a pick for Mark Pysyk,

Reilly - De Haan
Gardiner - Pysyk
Dermott - Zaitsev
The Panthers already have too many players and don't have that much internal cap space. Pysyk could be traded for picks though.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Gardiner is better than De Haan, so getting him and getting rid of Gardiner does not make us a better team. Makes us most likely significantly worse.

Also, I have no interest in Voynov. Not only because of the backlash Toronto would get for signing him, but also because he's not as good as people remember him being.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Adding De Haan would round out their defence nicely, assuming he could handle playing the right side with Rielly. Only concern is if his shoulder can hold up, which could have the Leafs cautious about giving him more than 3 or 4 years.

He doesn't play the right side.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Realistically, what do Leafs fans think Toronto would offer for Spurgeon? I think he would be a good fit and could be had for the right price, but I haven't seen anything that makes sense for both teams. These seem to be the most common, but none look likely to me:

Spurgeon for Nylander - Toronto says no.
Spurgeon for Gardiner - Minnesota says no. I like Gardiner but not more than I like Spurgeon, and Gardiner will likely cost more to extend. Plus we're chock full on the left side.
Spurgeon for futures - Minnesota says no.

Realistically Fenton would probably want an immediate or long-term upgrade on guys like Nino/Zucker for Spurgeon, because one of the LW's probably gets moved for a RD like Faulk if we trade Spurgeon.

Spurgeon is definitely a want for the Leafs. But as you said we don't exactly have a fit between the two teams.

The closest we can get is giving you young guys that *could* end up being very good players, but Minnesota should have no interest in Kapanens, Brown, Johnsson as the centerpiece.

MarkhamNHL

Sep 22, 2012
de Haan is a guy the Leafs should do a big deal for 1 yr and resign at cheaper multi year in january...

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
A couple of ideal players, both form a stylistic and compliment to existing players, to add to the Leafs, would be Josh Manson, and Brett Pesce. That isn't to suggest that either are available though.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Spurgeon is definitely a want for the Leafs. But as you said we don't exactly have a fit between the two teams.

The closest we can get is giving you young guys that *could* end up being very good players, but Minnesota should have no interest in Kapanens, Brown, Johnsson as the centerpiece.
Bummer, but understandable.

Reactions: Morgs

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Rielly will most likely move to the right where hes played a lot.

Yep, and he plays well on the right too. People suggesting Dermott will are forgetting he stated he’s not comfortable on the right.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Ha ha, I get long winded but like to be thorough. I guess I could of just said this.

Crosby > Tavares
Malkin > Mathews
Kessel > Marner

Pens 3 in top 10 scorers and Leafs and Tavares none in top 15.

Pens have better supporting cast also.

Is that better?!:laugh:

Crosby and Malkin sure, everything else you’ve posted in this thread has been wrong. The fact you’re trying to start a pissing match at all reeks of insecurity.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Ha ha, I get long winded but like to be thorough. I guess I could of just said this.

Crosby > Tavares
Malkin > Mathews
Kessel > Marner

Pens 3 in top 10 scorers and Leafs and Tavares none in top 15.

Pens have better supporting cast also.

Is that better?!:laugh:

You forgot to mention the ages of all the players. In a couple of years I don't think you'll be as smug.

LucicAndChong

formerly known as Big Sugar
Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
My idea for an ideal Leafs D is to pick up de Haan in FA. Then trade Gardiner, Bracco and a Conditional 4th that turns into a 3rd if Gardiner doesn’t re-sign for Jared Spurgeon. Then hopefully trade Zaitsev, 2020 1st, 2020 3rd and Calle Rosen for Justin Faulk (I could be way off on this value but I’m just guessing).

So Leafs lose:

Jake Gardiner
Nikita Zaitsev
Jeremy Bracco
Calle Rosen
2019 4th (3rd if Gardiner doesn’t re-sign)
2020 1st
2020 3rd

Leafs get:

Jared Spurgeon
Justin Faulk

So now the D looks like

Reilly - Spurgeon
de Haan - Faulk
Dermott - Hainsey
Carrick/Holl/Ozighanov

Looking for feedback because I’m not sure how off my values are

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
My idea for an ideal Leafs D is to pick up de Haan in FA. Then trade Gardiner, Bracco and a Conditional 4th that turns into a 3rd if Gardiner doesn’t re-sign for Jared Spurgeon. Then hopefully trade Zaitsev, 2020 1st, 2020 3rd and Calle Rosen for Justin Faulk (I could be way off on this value but I’m just guessing).

So Leafs lose:

Jake Gardiner
Nikita Zaitsev
Jeremy Bracco
Calle Rosen
2019 4th (3rd if Gardiner doesn’t re-sign)
2020 1st
2020 3rd

Leafs get:

Jared Spurgeon
Justin Faulk

So now the D looks like

Reilly - Spurgeon
de Haan - Faulk
Dermott - Hainsey
Carrick/Holl/Ozighanov

Looking for feedback because I’m not sure how off my values are
The Wild have nowhere for Gardiner to play and cannot afford to extend him. There is no way this will happen.

MarkhamNHL

Sep 22, 2012
So.........there's nothing in it for De Haan then? Just "deals galore" for the Leafs?

Alrighty.

not what I meant, overpay him this year and resign him for less for multi-year.. in the end the money equals out. it will be less of a cap hit for the future

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
not what I meant, overpay him this year and resign him for less for multi-year.. in the end the money equals out. it will be less of a cap hit for the future

Yeah, but then he needs to take ALL the risk. If he gets seriously hurt during that one year deal, he'll get nothing.

He wouldn't do that,

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Leaf fans, do you think Kadri is going to be alright with being a third line center? Or may they look to move him and upgrade elsewhere?

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I think trading away Matt Martin or Pickard is more likely for Toronto than signing De Haan, or any other UFA defenceman.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
The Jets have a glut of solid RD that would fit nicely on our team - they would make a great trading partner if there is someway Dubas could get something done with Chevy.

I know the price would be high, but what would Trouba or Myers cost, realistically?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad