Confirmed with Link: [TOR/FLA] TOR acquires G Michael Hutchinson for 2020 5th Round Pick

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
The leafs have 2 2020 7ths from the Fehr and Vesey trades.

Also have a probable top 100 pick from the Blues for soshnikov in the 4th round.

A 5th is a round too high for Hutchinson but it balances out.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Do not understand this move - why would you let your goalies leave and then waste a pick for another goalies - you guys can come up with your own arguments (but it's not very wise)

Because waivers... There's nothing we can do to avoid them.

Reactions: Menzinger

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
He has a GAA of 4.17 and a save percentage of .839% in 4 NHL games this season.

It's definitely to bolster the AHL depth. He might replace Kaskisuo as the backup next week if Andersen is still not 100%.

He will be relied upon heavily as the starter of the AHL.

He has 100+ games of nhl experience for which the marlies duo has zero.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Probably worth a 5th to save the Marlies from all the bad karma of their goaltending woes.

Definitely... if he goes to the AHL then this is an ok deal. Leafs farm team has to keep winning to keep developing a winning culture.

A 5th round pick, is worth it, if we get goaltending like Reimer, Scrivens & Sparks/Pickard.

Years ago Bibeau was way to inexperienced to be playing in the Playoffs, and he may have cost us a round or two. *may not have too of course.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He has 100+ games of nhl experience for which the marlies duo has zero.

Exactly. He's there to provide depth, something the Leafs likely wanted to add since they lost Pickard and McBackup. They probably waited a little longer to see if Kaskisuo could take over the #1 Marlies job... he didn't.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Oh the horror. A 5th round pick

From a housekeeping point of view, I would prefer the Leafs to be acquiring these kind of random picks. They've been hot housing the program, bringing in a ton of bodies to create competition, etc. and I would ideally like to see the surplus players like Ennis or Leivo moved on for mid round picks. A 5th is fine, but it is paying full retail for a goalie who doesn't even come close to being as good as McBackup, whom we lost for nothing. Just gotta keep that organizational depth up.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Do not understand this move - why would you let your goalies leave and then waste a pick for another goalies - you guys can come up with your own arguments (but it's not very wise)
You dont make sense here.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
From a housekeeping point of view, I would prefer the Leafs to be acquiring these kind of random picks. They've been hot housing the program, bringing in a ton of bodies to create competition, etc. and I would ideally like to see the surplus players like Ennis or Leivo moved on for mid round picks. A 5th is fine, but it is paying full retail for a goalie who doesn't even come close to being as good as McBackup, whom we lost for nothing. Just gotta keep that organizational depth up.

They've acquired late round picks for depth players in recent years. They added a 4th from the Soshnikov trade for this draft and a 6th or 7th round pick for Carrick. Also got a 7th round pick for Fehr next draft.

Sometimes you have to give to plug a depth hole and the Leafs have been able to acquire late round picks of their own.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

If we hadn't lost McBackup, we would have lost Sparks, which is the same problem. Sparks was even a greater-value asset than Mc.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Because the Leafs weren’t going to carry three goalies long term, no matter who they chose. Almost no team does:

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
We should've just kept 3 goalies if McBackup was so valuable (>5th)

Holl and Marincin are rotting on the bench anyways

Reactions: RoadWarrior

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
They've acquired late round picks for depth players in recent years. They added a 4th from the Soshnikov trade for this draft and a 6th or 7th round pick for Carrick. Also got a 7th round pick for Fehr next draft.

Sometimes you have to give to plug a depth hole and the Leafs have been able to acquire late round picks of their own.

Yeah I like those kinds of moves and hope we can continue to recycle unneeded assets even as we are in contention. Seems like an overlooked but useful habit to have to avoid or mitigate the Chicago Blackhawks downslide.

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
Smart move. Gives us a goalie to split with Sparks for the next week or so while Freddy recovers, once he's healthy, we can move Hutch down to the AHL, where Kaskisuo, McAdam, and Glass have really struggled. Adds some stability there and hopefully will help facilitate a Marlies turn around. Their big weakness has been in between the pipes this year, and Hutch posted a .935 in the AHL last season. Granted, he's struggled this year, but he's a vet playing with uncharacteristically low numbers that should come back up.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario

How did they 'let them leave'? They had 3 goalies they only had room for 1, all 3 needed waivers. I'm sure Dubas tried to see what he could get for any of them.

I do feel the 5th round is a bit of an over payment, a 7th would have been nicer, but let's be honest how many 5th rounders turn into anything major? There are likely some good examples but they are few and far between.

FlyingLeafus

But what about the playoffs?
Jan 4, 2009
Milton
I mean it makes sense for the Marlies, but I feel like they did not need to give up more than a prospect to get him.
How is a 5th round pick in 2020 more than a prospect?
This is what happens when you have 3 goalies who are waiver eligible and only one backup spot. Usually these sorts of players would make it through but both Philly and Carolina needed to shore up their depth going into the season

Reactions: Loosie and SAMCRO44

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Holy shit, came in to a bunch of posts asking how serious is Andy's injury? :confused: I legit thought he might be injured now which is news to me.

It's more so a move for the Marlies and you can never have enough goalie depth. Phew.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
You really don’t want to rush groom injuries and turn them into nagging problems.

Let Freddy take his time to heal, use it as an opportunity to evaluate Sparks in greater depth.

Lots of time to get back to full speed before playoffs.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Provides depth, and with a fair amount of NHL experience. I'll take it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad