Confirmed with Link: [TOR/FLA] TOR acquires G Michael Hutchinson for 2020 5th Round Pick

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
We were just talking about acquiring a better 3rd stringer. Perfect timing.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Alright now I'm scared. Is something wrong with Freddy

They simply needed a better 3rd stringer and a more consistent AHL starting goaltender this season. Kaskisuo has been struggling badly and McAdam hasn't been able to take over the crease either.

This doesn't mean there's any long-term injury to Andersen. It's just insurance.

Reactions: mcleex

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
So who will be backing up Sparks?

Kaskisuo will likely back up tonight. The Leafs don't play until next Thursday so they will see how Andersen is and likely bring up Hutch if Andersen is still injured by then.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Surprised none of the stat dorks have said "a 5th round pick?!!? DUBAS YOU IDIOT. We could've drafted Benn!".

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Surprised none of the stat dorks have said "a 5th round pick?!!? DUBAS YOU IDIOT. We could've drafted Benn!".

I'll be honest. A 5th round pick is a little high for a 3rd stringer acquisition but Hutchinson brings in experience and he's been a damn good AHL goaltender for awhile.

It's really not a big deal at all but it wasn't a steal that's for sure.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
i'm surprised people think this means there's a serious problem with Andersen. if there was, Dubas would have probably made a move for a starter rather than made a move to shore up our AHL goaltending

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
I'll be honest. A 5th round pick is a little high for a 3rd stringer acquisition but Hutchinson brings in experience and he's been a damn good AHL goaltender for awhile.

It also wasn't an overpayment or even underpayment.

It's a fair deal for an AHL goalie who can support Sparkles in a pinch in the big show for a few games.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Yeah, I would agree with that. A 5th round pick when he could have been acquired off waivers.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
i'm surprised people think this means there's a serious problem with Andersen. if there was, Dubas would have probably made a move for a starter rather than made a move to shore up our AHL goaltending
Andersen is listed as “day to day” with a groin injury.

If there’s a chance it’s even 4 or 5 games, the leafs still had to make some sort of move. Hutchinson is a good enough backup stop gap while Andersen is out.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

This would be more in line with a "good ol' boy" opinion. The stats guys would rightly point out that the stats say a 5th round pick likely amounts to nothing at the NHL level

Reactions: cookie

Mckay

I find your lack of gravy disturbing.
Mar 5, 2014
Canada
Yeah, I would agree with that. A 5th round pick when he could have been acquired off waivers.

If Leafs claimed him off waivers he would have had to stay on NHL roster. This way he can play for Marlies and IF freddy is out long term and/or sparks also gets injured then you have someone with experience you can bring up.

Reactions: Mork and BM14

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

It likely means they want to give Sparks a real test at the NHL level. So either Hutch is his backup or Kaskisuo is and the Marlies need a replacement.

If Freddy is out short term it still helps the Marlies

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
This would be more in line with a "good ol' boy" opinion. The stats guys would rightly point out that the stats say a 5th round pick likely amounts to nothing at the NHL level
Not really. "good ol' boy" is more in line with the "draft, shmaft" mentality, no? About the tangible present and not the what-if-one-in-a-million late round pick lottery.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Andersen is listed as “day to day” with a groin injury.

If there’s a chance it’s even 4 or 5 games, the leafs still had to make some sort of move. Hutchinson is a good enough backup stop gap while Andersen is out.
Leafs have a few days off between games for the next 2+ weeks. I believe its only 5 games...let him sit and get to 100%. Smart move, although unsure what other options were available to be had.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Not a bad price for depth. We have 3 7th round picks next year anyways, just let Thommie Bergman go to work and it'll more than make up for giving up the 5th.

Hutch has been one of the better AHL goalies in recent years, should stabilize the Marlies net. Leafs don't play another back to back until mid January so just let Sparks hold down the fort if he stays healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad