Confirmed with Link: [TOR/FLA] TOR acquires G Michael Hutchinson for 2020 5th Round Pick

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The Leafs have only played 6 games since Hutchinson was acquired.

edit: Time with Florida counts, I guess. My assumption (false apparently) has always been that emergency recall games (and time) don't count for waivers exemption loss.

The HNIC panel during the 2nd period Sat confirmed this Hutchenson status saying if Hutch dresses tonight Leafs will have a backup goalie decision on their hands because of waivers.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
He goes down today. Hutch performed admirably during this stretch, we now have options and some depth.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He goes down today. Hutch performed admirably during this stretch, we now have options and some depth.

At least Andersen won't have much of a rest problem. He's had over 3 weeks of rest. We also have 3 back to backs in the next month, so he'll get a few more games off there as well.

It was good test Sparks and Hutchinson. I don't think Hutchinson did enough to steal Sparks' spot but he did well. Could be an option for next season if he wants a league minimum deal.

Reactions: DarkKnight

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
At least Andersen won't have much of a rest problem. He's had over 3 weeks of rest. We also have 3 back to backs in the next month, so he'll get a few more games off there as well.

It was good test Sparks and Hutchinson. I don't think Hutchinson did enough to steal Sparks' spot but he did well.
And we still have our buy week.

Reactions: SprDaVE

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Hutch is an AHL level goalie at best. He has had his shots with Jets and Panthers. With Sparky it is still unknown whether he can be an NHL level backup but we will find out this year. I saw Freddy on Saturday night at Scotia. He looked good. I did not even think he had the flu. But it is hard to tell with a passby. I would have thought he would have been home in bed with flu. If it was then it was a very mild flu. So my guess he should play tonight cause he practiced yesterday.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Hutch is an AHL level goalie at best. He has had his shots with Jets and Panthers. With Sparky it is still unknown whether he can be an NHL level backup but we will find out this year. I saw Freddy on Saturday night at Scotia. He looked good. I did not even think he had the flu. But it is hard to tell with a passby. I would have thought he would have been home in bed with flu. If it was then it was a very mild flu. So my guess he should play tonight cause he practiced yesterday.

Sparks has not changed his playing style from his first game with the Leafs 3 years ago, he continues to play a style very similar to CHL goalies, makes himself very small. very hectic, not controlled. Not saying he can't change to a style that is more conducive to the NHL but the guy is 25 years old and has not played a CHL game in 7 years, 7 years is a long time to develop his style to less CHL and more NHL.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Sparks has not changed his playing style from his first game with the Leafs 3 years ago, he continues to play a style very similar to CHL goalies, makes himself very small. very hectic, not controlled. Not saying he can't change to a style that is more conducive to the NHL but the guy is 25 years old and has not played a CHL game in 7 years, 7 years is a long time to develop his style to less CHL and more NHL.
I don't care how goalies do it. I am of school of stop the f*ckin puck and win. I loved Hasek when everyone was saying he had a completely unsustainable and totally athletic style. Fuhr I was told sucked as a goalie too again totally athletic game but somehow he managed to win games and make saves when they really mattered. Over history of hockey we are in this small window of time past 5-10 years where these damn goalie coaches and technique based approaches seem to make people think they are the cats meow. I for one think it is full of sh*t. Either perform on ice and win or get the f*ck out of town and hurry before the door hits you in the *ss.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
and in case you didn't know when i played goalies were freakin head cases who were puking their guts out before games. and us guys in room would say ok he is ready to play lights out now. no one said a freakin word to the goalies. and everyone knew when you had a guy who could make the big save you did whatever to protect him. and if someone messed with your guy even giving him a snow shower we would wreck the guy and wreck him bad.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I don't care how goalies do it. I am of school of stop the f*ckin puck and win. I loved Hasek when everyone was saying he had a completely unsustainable and totally athletic style. Fuhr I was told sucked as a goalie too again totally athletic game but somehow he managed to win games and make saves when they really mattered. Over history of hockey we are in this small window of time past 5-10 years where these damn goalie coaches and technique based approaches seem to make people think they are the cats meow. I for one think it is full of sh*t. Either perform on ice and win or get the f*ck out of town and hurry before the door hits you in the *ss.

So how many goalies have had Hasek's style in the history of the NHL? How many goalies have had both Fuhr's style and athletic ability? There is a reason they are HOFers (one of's) and virtually everyone else is taught how to play the position a certain style.

Sparks has neither the athletic ability of Fuhr or the controlled chaos of Hasek.

Sparks has the mindset and skill level of a CHL goalie.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
So how many goalies have had Hasek's style in the history of the NHL? How many goalies have had both Fuhr's style and athletic ability? There is a reason they are HOFers (one of's) and virtually everyone else is taught how to play the position a certain style.

Sparks has neither the athletic ability of Fuhr or the controlled chaos of Hasek.

Sparks has the mindset and skill level of a CHL goalie.
Again I could not give a sh*t about anyone's opinion. Opinions are like noses everyone has one. To me for a goalie it is get in the net and win and you get another shot. Lose and f*ck off. I don't care how they did it. Bower was a sprawler too so what. He won and he earned the net. This over analyzation of goalies is ridiculous. It is just like Jets said when they unloaded Hutch we liked his style and approach but he just could not stop enough pucks and win for us.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think Hutchinson showed enough in his limited time for most to agree he's far better than Sparks.
The job is still Sparks, lets see how he deals with the added pressure of a better goalie in place to take his spot.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I think Hutchinson showed enough in his limited time for most to agree he's far better than Sparks.
The job is still Sparks, lets see how he deals with the added pressure of a better goalie in place to take his spot.
Again these are all opinions. Win loss records are what counts. The better goalie is the goalie with the better record.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Again these are all opinions. Win loss records are what counts. The better goalie is the goalie with the better record.

ummm, No .... People on this board years ago used to say, Jake Gardiner, was one of the top 10 best d'men in the league because of his corsi. You have fallen into the same trap and say hi to Zeke while your there ;)

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

No. Win/Loss is a indication of the team as a whole and the opponents that team has faced, not the goalie. It's like saying Ozighanov is a better defender than Doughty because Ozi has more wins than Doughty.

So much goes into a win you can't say just one guy is responsible for the W/L, like +/-, W/L is a meaning less stat when assigned to one player.

Melo Meds

Jul 30, 2018
I don't buy the whole win/lose record means your a better goalie. The quality of the team you face and also if your offense decides to show up in those game is out of a goalies hands. The best they can do is keep a game close or tied.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Again I could not give a sh*t about anyone's opinion. Opinions are like noses everyone has one. To me for a goalie it is get in the net and win and you get another shot. Lose and f*ck off. I don't care how they did it. Bower was a sprawler too so what. He won and he earned the net. This over analyzation of goalies is ridiculous. It is just like Jets said when they unloaded Hutch we liked his style and approach but he just could not stop enough pucks and win for us.
Did you watch his game? His rebound control really taxed all other players' strength. Having say that, don't mind keeping him, may be one day god will turn him into our tim thomas or Fleury:popcorn:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->