Confirmed Trade: [TOR/COL] Tyson Barrie (@50%) , A. Kerfoot, and a 2020 6th for Nazem Kadri, C. Rosen, and a 2020 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
sucks losing Kadri but Barrie is amazing get for the leafs, LOL @ Col fans before saying if Kadri gets traded it would be for Erik Jonhson , now way it would be for Barrie. And plus Kerfoot

It really does suck losing Kadri , good luck to Col & kadri
EJ probably has more value considering Barrie is basically a 1 year rental.

MapyPopa

Jul 1, 2019
My initial reactions are Leafs got smaller again. I have no problem with small players, as long as you have a diverse line up with size. You can't be icing 5'9 and 5'10 guys and expect to beat St Louis type teams in the playoffs. Seems to me that Dubas has not learned this. Kadri had to go. I think a fresh start will be good for him. Avs got him for 3 years at a Lou discount of 4.5. Leafs only got one year in Barrie. The Leafs are all in on one and done contract D men this year. Muzzin and Ceci. So I would have preferred more term and more size if I were a Leafs fan. Dubas getting adding small guys in trades and the draft has got to make you wonder if he even watched the playoffs this year? Kadri has his warts, but the Leafs lost their last grit guy, abeit a dumb player at times.
And here we go. Always negative with the leafs. They can never do right with you

LastOne2100

Jan 2, 2017
Kerfoot isn't quite as bad as we make him seem, but if you're looking to have some real fun take a shot every time he shoots a puck right into a goalies chest.

Yeah and I think that's fine. From what I've read he seems to pass first, shoot as last resort. He'll pair well with Kapanen and / or Johnsson who like to shoot.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
I seem to be in the minority but I really like this for Colorado. Having their 1 and 2 centers locked up for 10.8 million combined is a steal, especially considering Mackinnon and Kadri is a great 1/2 punch.

As an Avs fan to me both Barrie and Kerfoot are the kinds of players you want to stay away from when resigning guys. Both put up good numbers that make them seem a lot better than the eye test would have you believe. To me signing them to their next contracts is like signing a UFA Shattenkirk + Parenteau. IMO they aren’t the guys you win cups with.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
If you did that, Jake Gardiner would be considered one of the worst defensemen in the NHL the way the Leafs fan base speaks of him.

Some players don't pass the eye test because they do some things very visible that aren't good, but no one really watches all of the smaller things they do right.

This is typically why analytics is more valuable than just a simple eye test.
Well when it comes to the leafs, I don’t need others opinions because I live in Toronto and watch just about every game they play. I was only hoping and praying all day that my team wouldn’t sign Gardiner, at any price and term really because I’ve concluded that he doesn’t help NHL teams win.

KDOTO

Feb 17, 2018
TDOTO
They don’t need grit. They were grittier than the Bruins and still lost in 7.

What they need is skill and someone who can skate the puck out instead of panicking every time and icing it like Zaitsev and Hainsey. We got that in Barrie.

The quicker we can get the puck to those forwards the better our offense and defense will be.
Gonna have to disagree cuz I would love a Josh Anderson on the leafs. Fav non leaf player. He would be perfect with auston

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Barrie was about as consistent as they get, there was zero concern about his mental game throughout his years with Colorado. You're severely underrating Barrie, he's improved his defense each year and he's significantly better than Gardiner at every facet of the game. Toronto looks really, really strong on paper this year, I have no issue calling that a top 10 defense in the league for the upcoming year.

Rielly - Barrie
Muzzin - Dermott
Marincin - Ceci

Looks like a D-core where only one guy is not mediocre to bad defensively. I find Rielly mediocre in this regard and Barrie below average. They miss simple reads and get caught gambling for offense a lot.

You can see that as severely underrating but given who they are chasing in division their crazy aversion to getting guys that understand defensive spacing and can be relied upon to check elite talent consistently is going to keep them in 1st round bounce territory in my opinion. To each their own. My guess is the guys in Tampa and Boston aren't wondering or worried about facing that d-core for 7 straight games. Heck Florida can even hope that they have the better stand on their head goalie with little defensive support team. That is a bottom 10 unit in their own end and the good teams make you play there eventually. I would go with it should be top 5 offensively, but there is more to hockey to me than that, especially come winning time when the game changes a little in the post-season.

sessiroth

Jan 21, 2010
Toronto Ont.
Can’t keep giving legit assets away though. They just gave up assets for Muzzin, Ceci and a first for cap space. They let them walk, they’re in big trouble. Now, while I don’t think Ceci is much of anything, some team will still think they can fix him and give something in return if it gets to that. Muzzin though?? They can’t afford to not resign him. It’d be roller hockey out there.

As good as we think Sandin might be, he’s still unproven and we can’t just put him and TL out there and hope for the best. If they haven’t evolved more by the end of next year, then what??

They’ve got to move Nylander at some point here. Half the cap on 4 forwards forces you to be creative but if he keeps giving assets away, we’ll be right back to the Sundin days.
Not a chance they feel the need to move Nylander. Dermott is a player on the back end as well. Leafs will be fine. Muzzin will be 31 looking for a 5 year deal. Dermott can take his place. You can then resign one of Berrie or Ceci or potentially both. And you have the young guys like I mentioned liljegren, Sandin who can make the team as well.

Like you said we don't need to keep waisting assests on the Blueline. Leafs should be fine

Reactions: Marner to Matthews

LastOne2100

Jan 2, 2017
Well when it comes to the leafs, I don’t need others opinions because I live in Toronto and watch just about every game they play. I was only hoping and praying all day that my team wouldn’t sign Gardiner, at any price and term really because I’ve concluded that he doesn’t help NHL teams win.

If you really think Gardiner hasn't helped the Leafs win over his time with us, you're exactly proof of my point.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
And here we go. Always negative with the leafs. They can never do right with you
You don't have to read my replies if you want homer analysis, But Someone asked for my opinion, and I gave it. Leafs gave up their grittiest player on the team and got back a pair of 5'9 and 5'10 guys to add to an already soft line up. It pays to notice how teams win the Cup. Washington and St Louis. Big, heavy teams that wear down teams. Leafs got smaller today.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
TSN already moving on, their headline referred to Kadri as an "agitator". :laugh:

Pretty sure TSN saw him as more than that, over the past decade. Funny how quickly things change, eh?

This is what grasping for straws looks like. Most Leaf fans will tell you Kadri will be dearly missed, myself included, the ones who disagree started disliking Kadri a while ago.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
He'll probably get a bit more than Gardiner but I think youd be hard pressed to find a contract comparison that suggests hes getting 8
Colorado didn't really have anyone else to play the prime offensive opportunities, so he got them all. He's not really going to get that in Toronto though, so don't be totally surprised if his production takes a bit of a hit.

It'll be interesting to see how the ice time gets handled between these guys.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I'm hoping this works out for both teams and we meet in the finals.

Dubas may want to get Barrie extended soon. His point totals will likely climb playing with that forward group and I'm sure Benning is already planning his pitch to Barrie next off season.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
sucks losing Kadri but Barrie is amazing get for the leafs, LOL @ Col fans before saying if Kadri gets traded it would be for Erik Jonhson , now way it would be for Barrie. And plus Kerfoot

It really does suck losing Kadri , good luck to Col & kadri

There’s a strong contingent of Avs fans that would’ve much rather kept EJ over Barrie.

What you don’t realize, is that while Barrie can put up points, he’s an extreme defensive liability and virtually never has defensive zone starts by design. That’s not what Toronto needs. Sure, he’ll be a benefit to your team, but it’s marginally improving your offense and taking away from your already porous defense.

Also, Barrie had a career year, which he’s trying to parlay into something like an 8x8 deal. That’s gonna be an anchor for whoever signs him starting year 3.

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
I've seen some Avs fan complaining about the value but what needs to be kept in mind is that Barrie is going to be asking for minimum $8M next year while Kadri is on a steal at $4.5M for the next 3. That's significant.

Avs fan here. I love it so much. We're paying just over $10M a season for MacKinnon and Kadri. While other teams are paying $10M+ for one player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA