Confirmed Trade: [TOR/COL] Tyson Barrie (@50%) , A. Kerfoot, and a 2020 6th for Nazem Kadri, C. Rosen, and a 2020 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
On its face, it doesn’t look like a great deal for the Avs.

But the Avs traded away one guy (Barrie) with an expiring contract who wants top UFA dollar ($8m+) for 6-7 years, with retention to up his value. They also got rid of a guy (Kerfoot) who’s capped out potential wise and had inflated numbers playing next to MacKinnon and also PP duties.

In return they got a solid 2c locked in at a team friendly deal for 3 years. Also got a decent prospect.
Kerfoot didn’t play with Mackinnon?

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
50% retention is good, but what do you think happens after this season ends?

Are we going to re-sign him for 7+mil? If not we lose him for nothing and all we get is a 1 year rental and kerfoot for kadri and his super good contract.

I dont think the leafs won this trade by as much as some people think.
yeah, but there is a pretty good chance he's re-signed. With Ceci off the books, they can afford to sign him in the $7M range next year.

PredsHead

Nov 14, 2018
Yes, he is. Might be better than Barrie defensively lol.

As a Preds fan who has watched Colorado quite a bit, I can assure you that:

A. Kerfoot is no defensive stud. He isn't terrible but between his size and a tendency to cherry pick a bit, he has some serious limitations.

B. Being better than Barrie defensively is a very low bar to set for anyone.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
If you really think Gardiner hasn't helped the Leafs win over his time with us, you're exactly proof of my point.
I’ve seen a guy who is a very good puck mover but unreliable in his own zone, who is also soft and buckles in high pressure situations. He has an asset that is useful but needs to be more insulated with other good defenders than most teams can cope with.

Last edited:
Reactions: DavePoulin4PM

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
sucks losing Kadri but Barrie is amazing get for the leafs, LOL @ Col fans before saying if Kadri gets traded it would be for Erik Jonhson , now way it would be for Barrie. And plus Kerfoot

It really does suck losing Kadri , good luck to Col & kadri

That was Leafs fans that said this. On the premise that their defensive needs were a shut down defensive d-man and Barrie didn't fill their defensive hole.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I actually disagree that Colorado was fleeced. I’d say Toronto “won”, but I like this for Colorado. I just think they should be getting better than a 3rd rounder as last piece since Kerfoot was included, and Toronto didn’t have a lot of leverage due to their cap space predicament.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I’d trust the opinion of people who watched him
play night in and night out is all. There was never any avs claiming his defensive prowess while he was their asset. Again, many times the numbers and graphs without the context of visuals can be misleading. This is the reason why definitive scouting decisions will always come down to a pair of human eyes sitting high in the corners of hockey arenas.
Coaches coach the team night in and night out and are a wrong all the time.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
My initial reactions are Leafs got smaller again. I have no problem with small players, as long as you have a diverse line up with size. You can't be icing 5'9 and 5'10 guys and expect to beat St Louis type teams in the playoffs. Seems to me that Dubas has not learned this. Kadri had to go. I think a fresh start will be good for him. Avs got him for 3 years at a Lou discount of 4.5. Leafs only got one year in Barrie. The Leafs are all in on one and done contract D men this year. Muzzin and Ceci. So I would have preferred more term and more size if I were a Leafs fan. Dubas getting adding small guys in trades and the draft has got to make you wonder if he even watched the playoffs this year? Kadri has his warts, but the Leafs lost their last grit guy, abeit a dumb player at times.
Have you ever said anything positive? You must be a horribly unhappy person in your life. You are always so negative about everything! It's actually incredibly sad.

Reactions: klmdg and dubey

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Kerfoot is David Desharnais 2.0 and Leaf fans think he will replace Kadri.
Kerfoot's dad is rich like trump. He ain't gon do kadri, Spezza is playing kadri's spot on the dirty third with kapanen etc suckas. Maybe even agostino, agostino might be in the 4th though. Hitting peeps and sucking that thang. Kerfoot is here to enjoy the dollar. He ain't even needin anymore, his dad super tight and rich skitch.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
not sure how I feel about this as I was a pretty big fan of Nasty Naz. Team is soft as butter now.

Not only did you guys lose Kadri’s grittiness, both Kerfoot and Barrie are smallish soft players (especially kerfoot).

Leafs are going to be a very fun and entertaining regular season team.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
There’s a strong contingent of Avs fans that would’ve much rather kept EJ over Barrie.

What you don’t realize, is that while Barrie can put up points, he’s an extreme defensive liability and virtually never has defensive zone starts by design. That’s not what Toronto needs. Sure, he’ll be a benefit to your team, but it’s marginally improving your offense and taking away from your already porous defense.

Also, Barrie had a career year, which he’s trying to parlay into something like an 8x8 deal. That’s gonna be an anchor for whoever signs him starting year 3.

career year, technically, but come on, 2 less points in 10 less games the year before. yeah, he's one dimensional, but he's pretty damn good at that dimension.

What's interesting is, the Avs don't really have any good puck moving dmen anymore.

Reactions: The Moops

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
1 year of Barrie at $2.75m
for
3 years of Kadri at $4.5m

+

Kerfoot (RFA, ~$3m)
for
2020 TOR 3rd + Rosen

——

Also, Kadri received his $2m signing bonus today and gets only $2.5m in actual money this season.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
He was on the first line with Mack for a little while and when the Avs needed points, Mack would also center the 3rd line with Kerfoot on the wing. Mack played A LOT last season.
Gotcha, I thought it was Landry-Mack- rant and then I thought Compher and Neto were the ones they tested with Mack-rant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad