Confirmed Trade: [TOR/COL] Tyson Barrie (@50%) , A. Kerfoot, and a 2020 6th for Nazem Kadri, C. Rosen, and a 2020 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitemwith4

Jul 1, 2019
sucks losing Kadri but Barrie is amazing get for the leafs, LOL @ Col fans before saying if Kadri gets traded it would be for Erik Jonhson , now way it would be for Barrie. And plus Kerfoot

It really does suck losing Kadri , good luck to Col & kadri

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
TSN already moving on, their headline referred to Kadri as an "agitator". :laugh:

Pretty sure TSN saw him as more than that, over the past decade. Funny how quickly things change, eh?
He is an agitator.
He’s a weasel.
Nothing to move on from.
It’s all he’s ever been.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
What didn't take long? You want to say anything I said was wrong or just assume I am saying because he is traded? I am a fan of Kadri as a player that doesn't make him perfect. God damn this place is insufferable. Grow up.
Yikes, guess I struck a cord.

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
Good deal for the leafs, but I'm not complaining as an Av's fan. Could have done a lot worse with only one year left on his deal. Fills a need for us.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
On its face, it doesn’t look like a great deal for the Avs.

But the Avs traded away one guy (Barrie) with an expiring contract who wants top UFA dollar ($8m+) for 6-7 years, with retention to up his value. They also got rid of a guy (Kerfoot) who’s capped out potential wise and had inflated numbers playing next to MacKinnon and also PP duties.

In return they got a solid 2c locked in at a team friendly deal for 3 years. Also got a decent prospect.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Kadri was our best expendable trade chip and considering Barrie has 1 year left before getting a huge contract, it's disappointing not getting a long term affordable option at RD.

Reactions: Feliix

CoachBadkitten

Matt Hunwick
Jul 25, 2012
Colorado
Kerfoot isn't quite as bad as we make him seem, but if you're looking to have some real fun take a shot every time he shoots a puck right into a goalies chest.

Reactions: Avaholic29

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
I’ll say I think this is a fair trade for both sides. However, anyone who is saying that losing Kerfoot is a big deal simply just didn’t watch him last year.

Soft on the puck, never shoots it, has a muffin for a shot in general, and a lot of his points came off random redirects / 2nd assists.

That being said, Barrie is an absolute weapon. Sure his defense isn’t perfect, but his upside offensively cannot he understated. I’ll miss having him on the Avs no doubt about it.

Solid trade, excited for Kadri.
Kerfoot is a fine player and most Leafs fans dont know much about him (understandably) outside of looking up his stats 30 seconds ago.

Very inconsistent player, both good and bad. Will go on a 10 game point streak followed by 10 without.
If you had a line of 5 Kerfoots, you would be outshot 40-0 every game. Dude only shoots if there is no other option.
Very intelligent (duh Harvard), which is good and bad. Can see plays coming that most players dont, but also overthinks the game too much (see passing^).
Benefited very much from the revolving door that is Bednars lines. Played a ton with Landy, Rantanen, and even Duchen in 18-19 then Mac in 19-20 and even some PP1 time.

Are the Leafs willing to surround him with their superstars? If not, prepare for a down year points wide, but I would pencil him in for 15-20 guaranteed, more if you give him JT or AM.

Reactions: Veritas0Aequitas

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
LOL. You're completely ignoring the fact that Kadri was traded for BARRIE. That's where the value in this trade is......not with "Centre Depth".

We can still trot out Tavares, Matthews, Spezza and either Kerfoot/Gauthier. We have tons of QUALITY Centre depth.

And now we have much better balance.

Mad, Bro?

:)

Not mad at all.You claimed that the Leafs improved their center depth when they didn't.That's all.

I think the trade itself is pretty balanced,both teams address a weakness and traded quality assets to do so.Leafs take a hit in center depth to upgrade their D this year while the Av's trade a soon to be UFA (who they likely won't want to pay the asking price on) to upgrade their Centers for the next 3 years.
The Leafs probably benefit more next season but the Av's likely win long term which suits both teams timelines.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The trade
My initial reactions are Leafs got smaller again. I have no problem with small players, as long as you have a diverse line up with size. You can't be icing 5'9 and 5'10 guys and expect to beat St Louis type teams in the playoffs. Seems to me that Dubas has not learned this. Kadri had to go. I think a fresh start will be good for him. Avs got him for 3 years at a Lou discount of 4.5. Leafs only got one year in Barrie. The Leafs are all in on one and done contract D men this year. Muzzin and Ceci. So I would have preferred more term and more size if I were a Leafs fan. Dubas getting adding small guys in trades and the draft has got to make you wonder if he even watched the playoffs this year? Kadri has his warts, but the Leafs lost their last grit guy, abeit a dumb player at times.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
The structure of this deal makes me think Carolina had something similar with Faulk as the centerpiece...

Feel the 50% and Kerfoot swayed towards Colorado.
And id hold Barrie to a higher regard.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I sort of wonder if Barrie will be able to handle his lows. For as much as people get on Gardiner it isn't easy to have a big hockey market like Toronto turn on you like they did on him. They are similar offensive players to me with similar problems. I will be curious to see how he holds up or if his streak gets longer in terms of being in the dumps when the entire market freaks out and targets him. We don't really know going into it, but I was always impressed Gardiner could play his way back out of a slump with everyone after him. These guys are human and Barrie to me is one of those that can drive your fan-base a little nuts in my opinion.

Barrie was about as consistent as they get, there was zero concern about his mental game throughout his years with Colorado. You're severely underrating Barrie, he's improved his defense each year and he's significantly better than Gardiner at every facet of the game. Toronto looks really, really strong on paper this year, I have no issue calling that a top 10 defense in the league for the upcoming year.

Rielly - Barrie
Muzzin - Dermott
Marincin - Ceci

Reactions: Eye Test

LastOne2100

Jan 2, 2017
I’d trust the opinion of people who watched him play night in and night out is all.

If you did that, Jake Gardiner would be considered one of the worst defensemen in the NHL the way the Leafs fan base speaks of him.

Some players don't pass the eye test because they do some things very visible that aren't good, but no one really watches all of the smaller things they do right.

This is typically why analytics is more valuable than just a simple eye test.

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
Good move for both teams. Kadri and Barrie were both luxuries that the other team needed. Kerfoot replaces Kadri on the roster and Rosen would’ve had the edge in the 2 open spots for the Leafs D before this trade, in my opinion.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I’ll say I think this is a fair trade for both sides. However, anyone who is saying that losing Kerfoot is a big deal simply just didn’t watch him last year.

Soft on the puck, never shoots it, has a muffin for a shot in general, and a lot of his points came off random redirects / 2nd assists.

That being said, Barrie is an absolute weapon. Sure his defense isn’t perfect, but his upside offensively cannot he understated. I’ll miss having him on the Avs no doubt about it.

Solid trade, excited for Kadri.

Kerfoot can make himself a nice career if he decides what type of player he wants to be and commits himself to it. Once he decides he has the tools to be a very productive 3C, he’ll be just fine. We’ll know pretty quick with Babcock. Either he does or he’s traded for Glendening

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
They don’t need grit. They were grittier than the Bruins and still lost in 7.

What they need is skill and someone who can skate the puck out instead of panicking every time and icing it like Zaitsev and Hainsey. We got that in Barrie.

The quicker we can get the puck to those forwards the better our offense and defense will be.
They weren’t grittier than the Bruins. The fact that they outhit the Bruins illustrates how the Bruins hsd more players willing to take hits to make plays. Some of the only leafs willing to make that sort of sacrifice and commitment to winning have been moved out. With the leafs speed, they should’ve won many more loose pucks and pucks sent in deep behind the Bruins defense, but they didn’t because they lack the sort of player willing to take hits to make plays. Guys like Spezza, Barrie and Kerfoot in and guys like Kadri, Brown, Hainsey and Zaitsev out only increases that.

The cap management has been brilliant though.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Barrie has another offensive season like he did last year and he will probably be asking for $8 million a year on his next deal.

I thought he loved the west coast also? I guess Toronto has a full year now to woo him.
Leafs aren't gonna be able to afford resigning him after he racks up points feeding Marner/Tavarez/Matthews for a year

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
The unfortunate thing for Barrie is that he will get crapped on alot by fans and media in TO. He flew under the radar in Colorado for his defensive play so i will be curious how he handles the spotlight when he has his defensive blunders in games and media is all over him.

This is a whole new ball game for him!

And now Naz can relax a little in Colorado now

KDOTO

Feb 17, 2018
TDOTO
Barrie has another offensive season like he did last year and he will probably be asking for $8 million a year on his next deal.

I thought he loved the west coast also? I guess Toronto has a full year now to woo him.
Hmm I think you may be thinking of kawhi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad