Confirmed Trade: [TOR/COL] Tyson Barrie (@50%) , A. Kerfoot, and a 2020 6th for Nazem Kadri, C. Rosen, and a 2020 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
What i've learned from this thread is that non-Leaf fans have an outdated opinion of Kadri.

Points-wise, I think he'll absolutely rebound with Colorado with increased usage. Babs didn't trust him shorthanded, so his overall TOI declined even more than expected after signing Tavares. He was also pretty unlucky with his chances and hit the post more last season than any Leaf i've seen for stretches.

The most frustrating thing about Kadri's game, for me, is that the physical "pest" element of his game disappeared entirely this season (aside from the Boston series or isolated moments). Initially, Leaf fans attributed it to him being recently married and potentially maturing, but he wasn't even physical in any facet of the game for the entirety of the season. Insanely frustrating because that was supposed to be his role in the 3C slot, but he never found that intensity.

I posted this around Christmas:

This is the worst stretch of games i've seen Kadri play in as long as I can remember. It's not even his production, he is single handedly killing his line with giveaways and slow reads.

Even if he snaps out of this cold spell, its hard to look past it. 20 games of completely disinterested, non-physical, invisible play. If you do not play a fast offensive player beside him (Marner, Kapanen), he is a non-factor.
Post-Game Talk: - Leafs lose 4-2

2019 Kadri is not the same player as 2016-2017 Kadri. He's a high profile offender and when he sees red, its usually a dirty hit and front-page news, but those instances are far and few between these days. One of my favourite modern Leafs, but they won't be missing his physical game as much as some are claiming, because its been disappearing for over a year now anyways.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
On Barrie you're getting one of the streakiest players in the NHL. His highs are breath taking and his lows are agonizing dread. He'll put up a ton of points and has a hell of a shot. He can QB a PP pretty damn good, but can miss the east one timer set ups more than you'd like. He's small and can be pushed around. When he's calm he can get the puck out of the zone, but that's not always the case with him and will try and fail to bring it out himself. He's a liability in OT and was benched for a few OTs with the Avs because of his play. He will often forget to tie up players sticks. His speed is good and can carry it in the offensive zone with ease. He will struggle through the middle and for some odd reason can't make a decent drop pass. The Avs were forced to also shelter him from defensive zone starts. I know I sound like I'm bashing him a bunch, but trust me, even with his short comings he's someone that will help your team.

I sort of wonder if Barrie will be able to handle his lows. For as much as people get on Gardiner it isn't easy to have a big hockey market like Toronto turn on you like they did on him. They are similar offensive players to me with similar problems. I will be curious to see how he holds up or if his streak gets longer in terms of being in the dumps when the entire market freaks out and targets him. We don't really know going into it, but I was always impressed Gardiner could play his way back out of a slump with everyone after him. These guys are human and Barrie to me is one of those that can drive your fan-base a little nuts in my opinion.

They have to pay Rielly eventually, I don't really see how they fit him and Barrie long-term. I don't think Barrie is going to be cheap at all.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Hate to see Kadri go since he plays a style of game we sorely lack, but from a value perspective we’re clearly coming out on top of this one while also filling our biggest team need in the process so there’s nothing to complain about if you’re a Leafs fan. Now we just gotta extend Barrie.

Over the Pants Landy

Feb 19, 2013
CT
I’ll say I think this is a fair trade for both sides. However, anyone who is saying that losing Kerfoot is a big deal simply just didn’t watch him last year.

Soft on the puck, never shoots it, has a muffin for a shot in general, and a lot of his points came off random redirects / 2nd assists.

That being said, Barrie is an absolute weapon. Sure his defense isn’t perfect, but his upside offensively cannot he understated. I’ll miss having him on the Avs no doubt about it.

Solid trade, excited for Kadri.

Reactions: Veritas0Aequitas

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This doesn't prove Kerfoot is a good defensive player. It proves why advanced stats are ****.
This is only another great example of how stats and graphics a without the context of visuals are often misleading and even possibly useless on their own.
Or maybe he's a little better than you think he is. Just tossing out possibilities.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I wonder if Colorado takes a run at Gardiner now. Losing Barrie leaves a pretty sizable hole so you figure they have something cooking.
Where is this sizeable hole exactly? They still have a top 4 of Makar, Girard, Zadorov and Johnson as a stop gap until one of their good D prospects is ready. Ian cole on the bottom pair who can spot duty on the 2nd pair. They're more than fine because Makar will replace Barrie's scoring and he's an absolute stud.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I'm not so sure about that as Kadri is an excellent player for his cap hit and under contract for 2 more years than Barrie is.

Rosen might be the wild card here.

I can't see Rosen being a "wild card". I can't see him ever being more than a 3rd pairing dman. He's not a major piece in any trade, he's a toss-in. I'm a little surprised the Leafs traded him though. I figured he'd be decent as a depth dman for the Leafs at league min (which they needed until they made all these moves).

Reactions: Ryan Michaels

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
50% retention is good, but what do you think happens after this season ends?

Are we going to re-sign him for 7+mil? If not we lose him for nothing and all we get is a 1 year rental and kerfoot for kadri and his super good contract.

I dont think the leafs won this trade by as much as some people think.
I'm happy about it because we gain a good Dman at the expense of a bottom9 C (he wasn't moving up on this roster and looked worse in that role) all while saving cap space.

Sometimes you have to go for it and stop worrying about the season after next. Was 1 year of Kawhi Leonard worth it... if he walks? Totally different guys, but same mentality.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
This is an absolute masterpiece by dubas. :clap: He clapped back real hard on here mayne. I mean 50% of barrie's paycheck stays avs... woah. And they got rid of kadri, gittin kerfoot on that thang also. Spezza, Shore and Kerfoot is gon be aaaaight and tight on the dirty third and 4th line. :clap: He did that. Yeah mayne, he did that.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
TSN already moving on, their headline referred to Kadri as an "agitator". :laugh:

Pretty sure TSN saw him as more than that, over the past decade. Funny how quickly things change, eh?

LastOne2100

Jan 2, 2017
It made sense for TOR to move Kadri to upgrade the D, but I figured it wouldve been more of a defensive dman.

The Leafs gave up on defense a few years ago.

Now we just try and put the puck into our opponent's net a ton of times and have Andersen stand on his head lol.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Leafs fans is gon be so stoked bout that barrie thang there. He gon brings that funniness there and still scoring what 60 points. (his offensive numbers always go up. Last season 59. This tyme with the tavvy and matthjews he gon bank that thang on 60+. :clap: We clapped back treal hard here mayne.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Maybe we should wait until he actually asks for that number lol?

Hell probably get close fo what Gardiner gets this free agency. And in doubt that's 8 mil

He’ll get much more. Or else the leafs would have just resigned Gardiner.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Could see Nylander traded for a grittier player. Leafs have absolutely no bite on their roster. I could see it being a move Leafs fans don’t love but something out of necessity to balance out their roster.

They don’t need grit. They were grittier than the Bruins and still lost in 7.

What they need is skill and someone who can skate the puck out instead of panicking every time and icing it like Zaitsev and Hainsey. We got that in Barrie.

The quicker we can get the puck to those forwards the better our offense and defense will be.

HC7

May 2, 2018
I would be extremely disappointed as an Avs fan. As a Leaf fan I'm ecstatic to see Kadri go before teams figured out what he actually is...

Kadri is called a 30 goal scorer. Kadri has scored 30 goals twice in his career. Both of those seasons he had significant time with... Mitch Marner. When Kadri has played a season without Marner on his wing, he has never scored more than 50 points. Kadri was unable to establish chemistry with Lupul, Kessel, JVR, Nylander, Kapanen etc. He's a C that kills the cycle by taking stupid shots that kill momentum when his team is in the offensive zone.

Kadri was put in a position to succeed. He had over 50% offensive zone starts. Played weak competition, and had either Kap or Willy on his wing for over 95% of the season. The Leafs 3rd line was supposed to feast on other 3rd lines. Kadri couldn't do that, and Leafs just made out like bandits.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Or maybe he's a little better than you think he is. Just tossing out possibilities.
I’d trust the opinion of people who watched him
play night in and night out is all. There was never any avs claiming his defensive prowess while he was their asset. Again, many times the numbers and graphs without the context of visuals can be misleading. This is the reason why definitive scouting decisions will always come down to a pair of human eyes sitting high in the corners of hockey arenas.

Reactions: Veritas0Aequitas
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad