Confirmed Trade: [TOR/COL] Tyson Barrie (@50%) , A. Kerfoot, '20 6th for Nazem Kadri, C. Rosen, '20 3rd - Pt.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
The Leafs have been looking for a functional RHD forever. They're going to try and re-sign Barrie.

I think Muzzin probably walks though. With him and Ceci off the books that will more than pay for Barrie's raise.
I too think Barrie coming in was the death of Muzzin. Leafs have a guy like Dermott pushing for 2nd pairing minutes on the left side and no one pushing for a 2nd pairing RD slot yet.

Leafs are going to re sign Barrie let Muzzin walk unless Dermott shows he can play the right side. Then we may see another trade and both Barrie and Muzzin resigned. Top 4 would be pretty set at that point.

Reactions: DirkStraun

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
For some reason people like to say and evidently believe that Nylander is a 27 point player so shouldnt make 7 million.

If he was a 27 point player they would obviously be right. There will be something new next year when Nylander puts up 70 points, that I am sure of.
I'd love to see those people put money on him putting up less than 60 points next year. We all know they wouldn't bet a dollar on it.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I'd love to see those people put money on him putting up less than 60 points next year. We all know they wouldn't bet a dollar on it.
It is often the same usual suspects so I try to just ignore them but it is annoying when it fills so much of the leaf threads on the main boards.

Reactions: TopCheese

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I too think Barrie coming in was the death of Muzzin. Leafs have a guy like Dermott pushing for 2nd pairing minutes on the left side and no one pushing for a 2nd pairing RD slot yet.

Leafs are going to re sign Barrie let Muzzin walk unless Dermott shows he can play the right side. Then we may see another trade and both Barrie and Muzzin resigned. Top 4 would be pretty set at that point.
If I had to choose between Barrie or Muzzin, I'd prefer Muzzin. They're completely different players and Muzzin is left handed, which we have plenty of, but this team also lacks that big top 4 who plays heavy. Rielly is a pretty tough player who will throw his weight but isnt intimidating or anything. Dermott is the same.

Reactions: TopCheese and BM14

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
If I had to choose between Barrie or Muzzin, I'd prefer Muzzin. They're completely different players and Muzzin is left handed, which we have plenty of, but this team also lacks that big top 4 who plays heavy. Rielly is a pretty tough player who will throw his weight but isnt intimidating or anything. Dermott is the same.
I agree, stylistically Muzzin is a better fit than Barrie. He is also older by like 3-4 years too which doesnt bode well for a physical player signed until their mid to late 30s.

If the leafs arent going to play Muzzin or Dermott on the right side they pretty much have to resign Barrie. Leafs would have 0 top 4 RD at the start of next summer if they let Barrie walk and 3 top 4 LD (possibly) if they kept Muzzin instead.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

I'd take Barrie easily

He shoots right but I doubt Muzzin is going to age well, he's not a great skater now and he plays a style that doesn't tend to age well going into your mid 30's

Give me the skating puck mover that isn't overly physical any day of the week when your talking term deals for guys going into there 30's

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Reactions: DirkStraun

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'm pretty jealous tbh. My Oilers just cannot find an OFD anywhere, ever since McDavid got here actually, and years before. I think every other team has traded for or signed several in that time.

yeaher

May 3, 2019
He's high-event because he takes risks, but he positively impacted the net-numbers of everyone he got put onto the ice with...stud or bum. Not saying he doesn't give up some goals that may not have been scored against a different blueliner, but he creates a lot more than he concedes from getting caught up ice.

He isn't remotely a bad player, he is going to get 8-9 million next year probably. He is great, and helps players like Mac and Matthews, I assume he will, but at that rate and the prospects Colorado have, it was best to let him go and get a reliable second line centre in return.

Reactions: avsfan09

yeaher

May 3, 2019
I'm pretty jealous tbh. My Oilers just cannot find an OFD anywhere, ever since McDavid got here actually, and years before. I think every other team has traded for or signed several in that time.

McDavid goes 200 feet himself though, you need defensive defense with a big shot, or no shot, and McDavid.

yeaher

May 3, 2019
Kadri is 28 and Nylander is 23

Nylandee had back to back 60 point seasons on his ELC prior to the gong show of last year.

Kadri is exiting his prime. Nylander is entering it.

Aggegrates don't matter player to player, I do like Nylander though, but I think calling a player 28 leaving their prime a tad hasty; I mean guy could play ten more years, and very easily hit career highs in points over the next few years with the Avs as 2C. As for Nylander, he sat out last year, and was absolutely awful for most of the season, if he'd have played like a $10 million player in the playoffs I think you probably would have beat Boston...

Placid Perspicuity

Apr 19, 2016
I really, truly, do not understand how people think he is.

I think part of the problem is that too many people on this site rely on the opinions of others to gauge a player's ability. Most people don't/can't regularly watch teams other than their own; it's no wonder that Leaf fans who watch Leaf games regularly have a better idea of their players' abilities than the guy who gets their information from other uninformed people with an agenda.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

I don't see why they can't split Ceci money give a raise of of 2.25 million to Barrie and a raise of 2.25 to Muzzin and keep both

That puts Barrie at 7.75 and Muzzin at about 6.25

That's doable

poolparty98

Aug 6, 2017
Great trade for Avs, get a proven 30 goal scorer on a great contract, while trading their highest paid yet worst defensive player. Sakic smart to strike while Dubas is desperate.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Aggegrates don't matter player to player, I do like Nylander though, but I think calling a player 28 leaving their prime a tad hasty; I mean guy could play ten more years, and very easily hit career highs in points over the next few years with the Avs as 2C. As for Nylander, he sat out last year, and was absolutely awful for most of the season, if he'd have played like a $10 million player in the playoffs I think you probably would have beat Boston...

If Kadri doesn't get suspendef they beat Boston too and the Barrie trade likely doesn't happen

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I don't see why they can't split Ceci money give a raise of of 2.25 million to Barrie and a raise of 2.25 to Muzzin and keep both

That puts Barrie at 7.75 and Muzzin at about 6.25

That's doable
Barrie is getting paid 2.75 right now though so that will only be 5 million for Barrie.

I think it could be doable but if Dermott cant play the right side (same for Muzzin or Rielly) then it just wouldnt make sense to resign Muzzin with a much cheaper and younger Dermott in the wings.

Ongo Gablogian

May 9, 2007
I think part of the problem is that too many people on this site rely on the opinions of others to gauge a player's ability. Most people don't/can't regularly watch teams other than their own; it's no wonder that Leaf fans who watch Leaf games regularly have a better idea of their players' abilities than the guy who gets their information from other uninformed people with an agenda.

The irony is too rich with this one.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Barrie is getting paid 2.75 right now though so that will only be 5 million for Barrie.

I think it could be doable but if Dermott cant play the right side (same for Muzzin or Rielly) then it just wouldnt make sense to resign Muzzin with a much cheaper and younger Dermott in the wings.

No Barrie is getting paid 5.5, the other 2.75 doesn't disappear into the abyss just because Colorado is retaining he still gets that money he just gets 2 checks

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
McDavid goes 200 feet himself though, you need defensive defense with a big shot, or no shot, and McDavid.
McDavid can do that but we have never ever given him any offensive support from the bluline. Last place in the league by far in this category

I'd say there is potential for McDavid to be even better if we could just get some passable GMing, or even just a marginal fail

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
No Barrie is getting paid 5.5, the other 2.75 doesn't disappear into the abyss just because Colorado is retaining he still gets that money he just gets 2 checks
Obviously, however the leafs are only hit with a 2.75 million dollar cap hit though. So a 2.5 million dollar raise (from Ceci) would count 5 million towards the leafs cap.

To pay him 8 million a season the leafs would need to find an additional 5.25 million in cap space to the 2.75 he is counting as now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA