Confirmed Trade: [TOR/COL] Tyson Barrie (@50%) , A. Kerfoot, '20 6th for Nazem Kadri, C. Rosen, '20 3rd - Pt.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Avs won’t be dishing out any offer sheets.

$27m in cap space

Rantanen - $10m
Zadorov/Burakovsky/Compher - $10m

Summer of 2020: Girard, Jost
Summer of 2021: Landeskog, Makar, Grubauer

We have more contracts coming off the books and won’t have any issue paying the players, but signing another high priced player right now is out of the question.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto

$27m in cap space

Rantanen - $10m

We have more contracts coming off the books and won’t have any issue paying the players, but signing another high priced player right now is out of the question.
Too bad.

I liked the threat.

Paul Marner would have liked the money.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Leafs' roster page on the official site already has him listed as #4. Also worn by former Av, and Leafs legend Jeff Finger.
Going back in time, quite a number of great dmen:

Cody Franson
Jeff Finger
Cory Cross
Kevin Dahl
D. J. Smith
Dave Ellett
Darryl Shannon
Rick Lanz
Brad Maxwell
Gary Leeman (as a dman)
Reid Bailey
Dave Shand
Bob McGill
Robert Picard
Greg Hotham
Trevor Johansen
Tracy Pratt
Kurt Walker
Dave Dunn
Mike Pelyk
Duane Rupp

And then we get to Red Kelly.

Good luck Mr. Barrie with that #4, if that's your number...

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I too think Barrie coming in was the death of Muzzin. Leafs have a guy like Dermott pushing for 2nd pairing minutes on the left side and no one pushing for a 2nd pairing RD slot yet.

Leafs are going to re sign Barrie let Muzzin walk unless Dermott shows he can play the right side. Then we may see another trade and both Barrie and Muzzin resigned. Top 4 would be pretty set at that point.
In a years time the Leafs will promote or hope to promote Sandin and Liljegren so someone will walk...Muzzin,Barrie,Reilly,Ceci can't all be signed.I expect two of four will walk! They are going to command 7 M plus! And with Seattle two years down the road teams won't want to be saddled with too many huge contacts!And Dermott will take a spot

Reactions: unitedstars87

unitedstars87

Jun 2, 2006
I'm thinking Kadri will leave mentally unstable up to Leafs fans now. What's up with all you guys acting like this is a Kawhi level trade? No wonder you guys can't win a Stanley Cup.
Right.. cause you were assisting on Joe Sakics Stanley cup goals and blocking pucks for Patrick Roy.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I agree, stylistically Muzzin is a better fit than Barrie. He is also older by like 3-4 years too which doesnt bode well for a physical player signed until their mid to late 30s.

If the leafs arent going to play Muzzin or Dermott on the right side they pretty much have to resign Barrie. Leafs would have 0 top 4 RD at the start of next summer if they let Barrie walk and 3 top 4 LD (possibly) if they kept Muzzin instead.
I know what you mean, and I'm not saying extend him the max term or anything but what's more of a need? I think you can make a case for either guy.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I'd take Barrie easily

He shoots right but I doubt Muzzin is going to age well, he's not a great skater now and he plays a style that doesn't tend to age well going into your mid 30's

Give me the skating puck mover that isn't overly physical any day of the week when your talking term deals for guys going into there 30's
Statistically, you're probably right in choosing the good skating dman over the older, slower, bruiser type. But it depends on how Muzzin looks next year, much less so than Barrie. Hypothetical here, obviously, but would you prefer Barrie at 7 years for 8 million or Muzzin at 5 years for $6.5 million?

Reactions: Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Statistically, you're probably right in choosing the good skating dman over the older, slower, bruiser type. But it depends on how Muzzin looks next year, much less so than Barrie. Hypothetical here, obviously, but would you prefer Barrie at 7 years for 8 million or Muzzin at 5 years for $6.5 million?

I think with the age difference both those contracts would end with the two guys at about the same age, somewhere in there mid to late 30's

I'd take Barrie all day every day in that situation, I just think he's going to age far better and we should still be competing for cups (hopefully) in the back half of those contracts so I think that really matters

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I know what you mean, and I'm not saying extend him the max term or anything but what's more of a need? I think you can make a case for either guy.
Ya I can see the other side of the argument I just feel like the leafs very deep left side and not so deep right side is reason enough to keep a guy like Barrie over Muzzin. Ideally if you have the space you keep both

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

$27m in cap space

Rantanen - $10m

Maybe you guys can go for a high priced rental this season if you're still in the playoff hunt?

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Ya I can see the other side of the argument I just feel like the leafs very deep left side and not so deep right side is reason enough to keep a guy like Barrie over Muzzin. Ideally if you have the space you keep both
Keeping both may be possible. I read somewhere on here that they'll have cap space next summer even after Marner signs. Haven't looked at the numbers myself though.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Keeping both may be possible. I read somewhere on here that they'll have cap space next summer even after Marner signs. Haven't looked at the numbers myself though.
Ya it all depends what they are expecting with Anderson and Rielly renewals as well as the expansion draft. I think the leafs likely dangle Kap at the expansion draft if they want to keep a few extra defenders. The reason I say that is I think Kap could price himself out at which point the leafs wont be able to keep him when his contract expires the following year (if I have the dates right).

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Ya it all depends what they are expecting with Anderson and Rielly renewals as well as the expansion draft. I think the leafs likely dangle Kap at the expansion draft if they want to keep a few extra defenders. The reason I say that is I think Kap could price himself out at which point the leafs wont be able to keep him when his contract expires the following year (if I have the dates right).
He signed for 3 years IIRC so he may not even be a factor. I dont know who you'd expose but I'd pay Seattle not to take him if that were the case and he were on the bubble.

OB34KNH

Apr 11, 2019

Cody Franson
Jeff Finger
Cory Cross
Kevin Dahl
D. J. Smith
Dave Ellett
Darryl Shannon
Rick Lanz
Brad Maxwell
Gary Leeman (as a dman)
Reid Bailey
Dave Shand
Bob McGill
Robert Picard
Greg Hotham
Trevor Johansen
Tracy Pratt
Kurt Walker
Dave Dunn
Mike Pelyk
Duane Rupp

Jeff Finger and Great D-Men do not belong in the same sentence. He was a 5/6D or 4 at best .... LOL

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Jeff Finger and Great D-Men do not belong in the same sentence. He was a 5/6D or 4 at best .... LOL
I still love how the Leafs called Fletcher while he was sleeping by his pool in Arizona, and somehow didnt realise that the guy was toast. Fletcher goes on to sign Finger, thinking it was a different player. That was the old Leafs in a nutshell.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I still love how the Leafs called Fletcher while he was sleeping by his pool in Arizona, and somehow didnt realise that the guy was toast. Fletcher goes on to sign Finger, thinking it was a different player. That was the old Leafs in a nutshell.
Those were the times. Finger was a great third pairing d in Colorado, though. All heart.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017

Cody Franson
Jeff Finger
Cory Cross
Kevin Dahl
D. J. Smith
Dave Ellett
Darryl Shannon
Rick Lanz
Brad Maxwell
Gary Leeman (as a dman)
Reid Bailey
Dave Shand
Bob McGill
Robert Picard
Greg Hotham
Trevor Johansen
Tracy Pratt
Kurt Walker
Dave Dunn
Mike Pelyk
Duane Rupp

Aki.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad