Confirmed Trade: [TOR/COL] Tyson Barrie (@50%) , A. Kerfoot, '20 6th for Nazem Kadri, C. Rosen, '20 3rd - Pt.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I think it's a good deal for both sides.

I just don't get the logic behind trading your cost-controlled quality player over your overpaid underperformer when in a cap crunch. Unless the offers just weren't there?
We traded all 3 of them.

yeaher

May 3, 2019
That's an easy choice. Barrie even it takes 9M, though I still think he'll come in under 8.5per. But for that to be the choice, Joe would need to be willing to move EJ for a more sensibly priced #3 RB...which I suspect he is not.

EJ filled the same role that Cole did for us last season; he didn't play 25 minutes a night while making each & every player he stepped onto the ice with demonstrably more effective. That's what Tyson did for us down the stretch & into the playoffs, even with Makar there already eating up over 17 minutes a night.

And it isn't Tyson vs Makar, it's Tyson + Makar vs just Makar. Our blueline became an advantage once we could replace one with the other for over 42 minutes a night; not letting up the transitional onslaught until EJ's pairing came out to get pinned in their own zone.

So Cale can't just replace Barrie and make everything better; we'd also need someone to replace what we got out of Cale...and that shouldn't be EJ anymore unless we want the next 4 years of salary owed to that Kondor to turn into an Albatross right-f***ing-quick.

The problem with Barrie is that every player is demonstrably more effective offensively against the Avs when he is on the ice. I love him, but we weren't going to keep him, and getting Kadri helps us out. In the long run if BB pans out I expect him to be a better player in 3 years than Barrie could ever be.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
The problem with Barrie is that every player is demonstrably more effective offensively against the Avs when he is on the ice. I love him, but we weren't going to keep him, and getting Kadri helps us out. In the long run if BB pans out I expect him to be a better player in 3 years than Barrie could ever be.

That's not true.

Barrie scored at a higher rate than Sam Girard.

The advanced metrics all show that Barrie had more goals and assists than any Aves defender.

maxim84

Oct 19, 2013
Zagreb
From the start, this trade already has over 2000 posts... any chance someone mentions Calle Rosen in part 3?
Like...please... :pullhair:

Weiss1604

Mar 27, 2017
Wales
Feel bad for Kerfoot. He got ridiculed badly in a quiet football city in Denver. Now he’s going to the center of the hockey universe and before he even played a game fans are talking about him being a good defensive centre?

Fans need to stop with this or at least watch a few games to temper expectations. He’s piss poor defensively. You need to set your expectations on him being a great skater who passes the puck well and scores a lot of goals in front of the net. He’ll be a solid, quiet contributor to your team. Stop hitting him with expectations that aren’t even remotely related to the type of game he plays.
This is such a good post & great advice . I wonder if it's heeded though ?

Reactions: New Scotland

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

He's high-event because he takes risks, but he positively impacted the net-numbers of everyone he got put onto the ice with...stud or bum. Not saying he doesn't give up some goals that may not have been scored against a different blueliner, but he creates a lot more than he concedes from getting caught up ice.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Gotta think Barrie...even Muzzin and Ceci are just here one season. They are needed this year, but the Leafs some Marlies who should be NHL ready and with those departing UFAs, cap to get the players who you really want.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
Gotta think Barrie...even Muzzin and Ceci are just here one season. They are needed this year, but the Leafs some Marlies who should be NHL ready and with those departing UFAs, cap to get the players who you really want.

I think Dubas will find a way to re-sign one of T-Boobs and Muzzin. Don't know which it will be, but expect Muzzin to come in 1,5-2 mill cheaper per.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I could see Toronto trading Nylander next summer if it means that they can keep Barrie.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

The Leafs have been looking for a functional RHD forever. They're going to try and re-sign Barrie.

I think Muzzin probably walks though. With him and Ceci off the books that will more than pay for Barrie's raise.

Last edited:

FelixPotvin29

Oct 21, 2012
Very good response to my critiscim, I can see how Barrie would help balance out the top 4.

Gardiner was also injured before we acquired Muzzin so the Leafs never had all those guys firing on all cylinders... even when Jake returned in the playoffs.

Just to add to the other guys points

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I really, truly, do not understand how people think he is.
For some reason people like to say and evidently believe that Nylander is a 27 point player so shouldnt make 7 million.

If he was a 27 point player they would obviously be right. There will be something new next year when Nylander puts up 70 points, that I am sure of.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I think it's a good deal for both sides.

I just don't get the logic behind trading your cost-controlled quality player over your overpaid underperformer when in a cap crunch. Unless the offers just weren't there?

Kadri is 28 and Nylander is 23

Nylandee had back to back 60 point seasons on his ELC prior to the gong show of last year.

Kadri is exiting his prime. Nylander is entering it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad