Confirmed with Link: [TOR/COL] Ryan O'Byrne for 2014 4th Round Pick

Darylman

Aug 1, 2009
If you think the new system of Carlyle has little or nothing to do with our improved defense play, including the goalies, I would honestly advise you to step away from the statistics and possibly never watch hockey again.

The change in shot quality from last year to this year is absolutely unreal.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Why do you say so?

If true, we should have been all over that.

True.

EJ costs you Gardiner+ because he's more experienced..

I'm not sure I do that because tough love has worked with Kadri, and it sure as hell will work with Gardiner too.

If you think the new system of Carlyle has little or nothing to do with our improved defense play, including the goalies, I would honestly advise you to step away from the statistics and possibly never watch hockey again.

Our goalies are better than last year but the Leafs are doing a good job of blocking shots, clearing rebounds and making sure there are no second and third chances for teams to whack the rebound home.

We're not giving up many quality chances....if we were giving up the same chances as we were for the most part of last year, we would be in the hunt for Seth Jones.

I don't care if we get outshot because we usually win when we do get outshot.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Absolutely 100% correct.

MiniMoose

Apr 12, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Why do you say so?

If true, we should have been all over that.

If the rumours are true, we could've gotten Luongo for Scrivens and a second. Luongo is a much bigger name than Johnson even if his contract is poop. So I think Scrivens and a good defenseman (prospect) and a second could have maybe gotten Johnson. Johnson hasn't really lived up to the hype so his trade value is down. The only reason it is a bit more than it should be is because he was taken first overall.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
True.

EJ costs you Gardiner+ because he's more experienced..

I'm not sure I do that because tough love has worked with Kadri, and it sure as hell will work with Gardiner too.

Weird thing is, I thought Gardiner played phenomenal in his own end for a rookie last year.

I think he is focusing too much on offense, he just needs to simplify his game a little and work in his own zone.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Weird thing is, I thought Gardiner played phenomenal in his own end for a rookie last year.

I think he is focusing too much on offense, he just needs to simplify his game a little and work in his own zone.

I for one hope Gardiner doesn't simplify his play. He's at his best when he's playing like a 4th forward. He just needs a rock solid defensive partner to cover up for him when he's rushing the puck and taking offensive chances.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
i normally tend to agree with you, but here im on the fence at best. our goaltenders BOTH have been good at making saves and this has helped us a fair bit this year. im not a huge fan of our shot differential either and I think come playoff time, corsi will catch up to this team. but having watched just about every leafs game last and this year id have to say theres a big difference in odd man rushes. calling it "shot quality" isnt doing it justice. the leafs were giving up 3/4 breakaways a game, and i cant even guess at TRUE odd man rushes. id estimate (guess) > 10. now those numbers are hardly facts but even if im off a bit one way or the other id wager that a reduction in this type of quality chance would result in a greater winning %.

what your article describes is "picking two teams at random" and taking the average. but thats not what we're doing here. we're looking at two specific teams. and this years team has REDUCED odd man rushes, thus allowing our goaltenders a chance to improve save %.

That's certainly legitimate, and a fair point. I'm still not sure if I buy that shot quality has as much of an effect on SV% as is often claimed, and that his system is looking pretty because of just generally improved goaltending -- it's likely some combination, as the first article I linked suggested.

I haven't noticed a huge difference in the number of odd-man rushes, but obviously you're the second person to to corroborate that, so I'll concede it. If we really are defending off the rush better, excellent, that was a huge weak point for us last year.

Our PK now no longer "fronts" shots (standing in front of the shooter and leaving the guys in front of the net alone in an attempt to block as many shots as possible, read: a terrible idea), and instead runs a basic collapse. Obviously that's been great, and a big reason why we're in a playoff spot. Props to Carlyle for figuring out what Wilson never could.

I also wonder how much of our success this year can be pinned on a healthy Reimer. Before his concussion, he had an even strength SV% of .934, which is fantastic. Last year after he returned from his concussion (prematurely, if you ask me), he put up a pedestrian .913. This year, healthy again, he's posted a .926. Those are excellent numbers; with a #1 goalie, maybe we can finally make some noise :)

SpeakerForTheDead

Aug 2, 2005
Brampton/Chicago
If the rumours are true, we could've gotten Luongo for Scrivens and a second. Luongo is a much bigger name than Johnson even if his contract is poop. So I think Scrivens and a good defenseman (prospect) and a second could have maybe gotten Johnson. Johnson hasn't really lived up to the hype so his trade value is down. The only reason it is a bit more than it should be is because he was taken first overall.
The contract is "poop" part is precisely why Scrivens plus some picks would have gotten Luongo. In a salary cap world, bad contracts are value-killers, regardless of how good the player is. Erik Johnson would cost more than Bouwmeester and he went for a 1st plus 2 prospects.

SpeakerForTheDead

Aug 2, 2005
Brampton/Chicago
Well considering he has been a minus all his career (I know ******** stat but still) all but one year and he hasn't really lived up to the hype, to ME his trade value doesn't seem too high but obviously the Avs are high on him
He is a minus cause of being on some really bad teams with bad defensive systems. He might not be worth the #1 overall selection but he is still a very good defenseman.

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
Don't really know how everyone is writing off O'byrne already..

But I guess people don't learn with history.

Everyone said the same when we traded for Fraser at the TD. "ahl scrub, can't even play on the devils, terrible defensively."

Some players just click in a new system. I for one, believe he will with the way Carlyle's system has been going.

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto

he's comparable to Kadri

he makes plays, tries things

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
I think even the people who likrd beauch were exvited by the return in the trade, even if they didn't want to lose him.

the people who thought beauch sucked were obviously shocked by the quality if the return.

Funny. I recall it completely differently. 2/3 fans actually did not like Lupul and Gardiner. Lupul was viewed as damaged goods and Gardiner as bust who was surpassed on Ducks depth chart by 3 other prospects.

I remember how I tried to argue that in Lupul we got copy of Kulemin that fans prayed to create that year (you know that another 30-goals version of Kulemin... :sarcasm:)

People forget so fast.... :laugh:

Badger Mayhew*

we have some tough games coming up. we need atleast 6 wins to get us in.
they could be the hardest wins to get all year.

Uh...no. We don't. We need 3-5.

Last edited by a moderator:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

not really.

our 5 on 5 defensiive play is still as much a concern as it was last year. our goalies have been far, far better this year than they were last year, though. very few softies, and regular great saves.

granted, we've been MUCH better defensively on the PENALTY KILL, so that's been a huge help too. No doubt that our PK has taken a giant leap forward this year, regardless of the improved goaltending.

bobg1

Sep 21, 2006
bc
Stay at home defenseman, big body but not agressive at all. Can be solid defensively but will make some costly mistakes.

For a 4th, it's not bad. He can be a solid third pairing guy.

I've actually seen this guy play and he's a Chara-type. Big body,long reach.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Funny. I recall it completely differently. 2/3 fans actually did not like Lupul and Gardiner. Lupul was viewed as damaged goods and Gardiner as bust who was surpassed on Ducks depth chart by 3 other prospects.

I remember how I tried to argue that in Lupul we got copy of Kulemin that fans prayed to create that year (you know that another 30-goals version of Kulemin... :sarcasm:)

People forget so fast.... :laugh:

yeah, maybe I'm just remembering me. I loved Beauch when we had him, but I also loved getting Gards back in the deal, and liked Lupul well enough too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad