Confirmed with Link: (TOR/COL) Leafs Acquire Colin Smith + 4th Round Pick in 2016 for Shawn Matthias

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
not really.

The leafs will make more cheapo FA pickups next year, but PAP won't be a cheapo anymore. he'll get a decent contract.

I could see him getting 2 years at around 2-2.5 per. Nothing crazy like Raymond got.

bluewhiteblue

Mar 11, 2012
Smith is a smaller centerman in the AHL.

Very good AHL top-6 center. Has the skill and tenacity to be an NHLer, but his size will always be an issue.
If given time, he could become an NHLer, but was never gonna become one with the Avs and how we want bigger guys at center.

Last edited:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
happy with the return, this should help both the Leafs and Av's going forward.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I was hoping for a lot more out of Matthias.

I thought that he would have had a better year with more responsibility.

Not too bad for the Leafs. Maybe they can parlay some mid round draft picks for higher draft picks.

Something like a 4th or 5th with Parenteau to ensure you get a 2nd round pick.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Surprised the other side doesn't ever leak anything

Maybe he pulls the deal if the media is leaked info

The Avs never leak anything. They've been more open since Roykic came aboard, but that just means they've gone from KGB level secrecy to FSB level secrecy.

Lou did well not to get pressured in taking Johnny Malkin back instead of Smith.

Malkin's actually progressed a lot. He's a good two way player and very good PKer now. Tack on his ability to produce some points while playing with 4th liners and he's a very useful bottom 6er for us. So if the Mitchell was in the deal it would be because the other team asked for him, in which case they'd have to add to someone like Matthias for us to move him.

Last edited:

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015
Wouldn't surprise me at all to see Lou try to get one of those 3rd rounders back (Detroit and Jersey). I know we have a few years to pay those off, but for eg. looks like Detroit has been wiggling just under the cap. Say they wanna do something at the deadline but don't have the space. Cap dump plus our 3rd back in exchange for a b-level prospect typa thing? Lou likely even has had similar discussions with jersey.... contract dump for that pick? makes sense to me, and we are clearing capspace.....

OvenMittz*

Nice goal, his turn of the head looking back had me fooled. But not the date of the game, that was last week last year.

If he watches the Marlies like he claims he does he'd know that. He watches the highlights and when certain prospects aren't in them he thinks of them as busts like he does with Loov.

Yet Loov is playing on the leafs a week after he calls him lucky to be playing in the AHL.

*sigh*

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
A 4th and a player who is under contract..
We took smith as a player who is under contract as part of each teams 50..will likely be not resigned but who knows...still a 4th for a player who under achieve here.

buttman*

not really.

The leafs will make more cheapo FA pickups next year, but PAP won't be a cheapo anymore. he'll get a decent contract.

The Leafs are going to need to play some kids. Some need waivers. Some are ready.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
That's 12 picks in this year's draft - isn't it?

Not a bad return for Matthias

PAP should be 3rd + or may be a 2nd round pick

More bullets for Hunter, we have a 12 pack.

My goal is 18, not sure if we can reach that by draft day. Maybe if we trade back some like we did with our 2nd first last year.

hockey dude

Aug 26, 2011
Why? Matthias is no worse, if not better than Grabner. He can also play centre.

I think people on here are going to be disapponted. The trade deadline is about adding 3rd and 4th line depth to a team that is looking to make a playoff run. So called first or second line type players are pretty much already in place and are the reason their teams are buyers at trade deadline. Guys like Matthias help solidify and have value. Guys like Parenteau and Grabner are not first or second line guys on good teams. Again gonna be real surprised if they bring near as much as some of you are expecting. If they are not first or second line guys then they have no business being on third or fourth line as they are light weights. Maybe Grabner has some small value on a PK and Parenteau on a PP but a higher pick than Matthias coming back I have trouble believing. We'll see though!

OvenMittz*

More bullets for Hunter, we have a 12 pack.

My goal is 18, not sure if we can reach that by draft day. Maybe if we trade back some like we did with our 2nd first last year.

I'm like 80% sure we will be trading up for specific players Hunter wants.

Lou even said 13 draft picks is a bit too much.. I know there can never be enough picks ve we also need to sign these players eventually and some may not have a decent shot at a good look because of how full we are.

So trading up for better quality and a higher floor type players is what I expect. Our pool is big enough.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Also wonder how much Matthias' goal last night meant to this trade to happen :naughty:

Had a few games of a goal & points before being injured, first game back, score. Probably sealed the deal. At low, low cash cost to Colorado doesn't hurt either.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
I think that come the draft, we should be making 11 picks on 11 guys Hunter really wants, therefore we are likely to move up a few times. No point in making 18 picks, although it gives you more chances to get a player, a team only gets 50 contracts and we could end up having to dump quality prospects for nothing and why help other teams. We don't want Hunter drafting for the whole league, just us.

Northern Dancer

The future ain't what it used to be.
Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC
I'm like 80% sure we will be trading up for specific players Hunter wants.

Lou even said 13 draft picks is a bit too much.. I know there can never be enough picks ve we also need to sign these players eventually and some may not have a decent shot at a good look because of how full we are.

So trading up for better quality and a higher floor type players is what I expect. Our pool is big enough.

He absolutely will be trading up. Leafs are going to be the chip leader which is always a good position to be in.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Surprised the other side doesn't ever leak anything

Maybe he pulls the deal if the media is leaked info

If another G.M. yells out they're about to make a trade with the Leafs and nobody is there to hear them, do they still make a noise?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad