Confirmed with Link: (TOR/COL) Leafs Acquire Colin Smith + 4th Round Pick in 2016 for Shawn Matthias

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
So then Lou has shown that he will trade up if he really likes a prospect, or will trade down if he's not gung ho on a prospect at a particular spot.

Which makes sense, because a set policy of not trading up or trading down at the draft would be absolutely idiotic.

He traded a 1st rounder for Schneider.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Because we were stupid?

cheap depth for the playoffs. Maybe a minor upgrade now. Not sure what the Avs roster is like.

Pretty much every team heading for the playoffs has a move like this. Late round pick for a meh NHL player.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Thats fine, but its much more likely to be consistent than radically different. I don't think Lou is running the drafting here, but that hasn't been confirmed or anything. I would think that hunter/dubas are going to continue to do it.

I'm in your corner here Mikeyg. In fact Shanahan (after signing Lamoriello) had said that Hunter would still be in charge of the draft. Whether that's written in stone or not, I don't know.

Not to say the Leafs wouldn't try to move up if a specific guy they wanted was there, but I think their philosophy is, more picks, as was their 2nd 1st last year & the cluster mentality.

Examples of moving up can be shown to be smart, as examples can be shown to be stupid, but over the years of watching the draft, I'm not really a fan of losing a pick to move up. The draft is kind of like skilled luck. If you want me to hit more bulls eyes, give me more darts.

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
Easier to hit a bulls eye from 2 feet away rather than from 5 feet away.

Easier to blow a massive hole through the dart board with a shotgun.

Aka, the shotgun approach. Spray and pray baby....spray and pray.....

Last edited:

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
Easier to hit a bulls eye from 2 feet away rather than from 5 feet away.

Baaazzzzzing!!

But in all seriousness, this is bang on. Although hunter is a ninja in the late rounds, he doesn't appear shy on relinquishing a pick or two for the right prize (at the top of the draft).

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
Baaazzzzzing!!

But in all seriousness, this is bang on. Although hunter is a ninja in the late rounds, he doesn't appear shy on relinquishing a pick or two for the right prize (at the top of the draft).

I'm not concerned either way. Hunter will maximize value regardless. 100% faith in him.

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
I'm not concerned either way. Hunter will maximize value regardless. 100% faith in him.

Hunter's approach to drafting, skill and IQ above all is a refreshing departure from the recent past.
The draft is actually fun to watch again. No doubt the prospect pool will be bolstered this summer.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The Calgary Flames traded their first round selection in 1990 (20th overall), Detroit's second round selection in 1990 (previously acquired), and Minnesota's second round selection in 1990 (previously acquired) to the New Jersey Devils for the Devils' first (11th overall) and second round selections in 1990.

So Calgary snapped up their man at 11th overall, the first goalie taken that year, leaving all other teams to draft from the goalie scrap pile. That’s right, they chose the consensus top ranked junior goalie available in the draft: Trevor Kidd. Devils snapped up at pick 20 (Calgary's original first round draft position) Martin Brodeur.

Right, so Lou will trade up or down based on circumstances so he can walk away with a Martin Brodeur or Zach Parise. Proves my point.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
We have a Pittsburgh pick either way.
They make the playoffs we get their 1st and give back the 2nd.
They miss, we keep the 2nd.
Total = 12

The chance to get a first also slides to the 2017 draft if we don't get this years first. Its a complicated deal following all the picks and slides.:shakehead

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Not for me & you can have only 1 dart. I'll use my multiple darts from 5 feet away.

Son, I've been darting while you were still suckling on your mother's teet. I'll WILL dart you under the table. That is unless some jerk had already ruined the perfectly good board by taking a shotgun to it.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Well the intention all along was to capitalize on trading the signings for draft picks. The cost for a 4th and 7th (smith) was $1,807,317 not counting smiths remainder on his $700,000 including bonuses. Only $70 ahl salary though. So nothing.

Its alot of money for a 4th and 7th though.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Well the intention all along was to capitalize on trading the signings for draft picks. The cost for a 4th and 7th (smith) was $1,807,317 not counting smiths remainder on his $700,000 including bonuses. Only $70 ahl salary though. So nothing.

Its alot of money for a 4th and 7th though.

It also kept our prospects in the AHL. That's the important part.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Son, I've been darting while you were still suckling on your mother's teet. I'll WILL dart you under the table. That is unless some jerk had already ruined the perfectly good board by taking a shotgun to it.

But I'm real old, so you better be real old too. I grew up playing darts, could hit the 60 & bulls eye 9 out of 10 times from the reg distance, from 2 feet, I would be brutal.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Making a lot of draft picks in the 2016 draft is hardly a problem. You pick a bunch of 18 year olds who either play a few seasons in the CHL, Europe or the NCAA. You cull the picks in a couple of years signing only the best post draft performers to ELCs instead of the usual pressure to sign most of the players you pick just to have some prospects.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
it's not guaranteed to be a 2016 pick so you can't say its going to be a pick.

sigh

please google the trade details

If Pittsburgh makes the playoffs this year we have their 2016 1st

if they miss scenarios move to next year but we would keep their 2016 2nd from the Winnik trade

No matter what happens we either have the Pens 1st or 2nd this year, exactly 1 pick. Therefore you can add it to the total. We don't know which pitck it will be yet but there will be a pick. This year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad