Confirmed with Link: (TOR/COL) Leafs Acquire Colin Smith + 4th Round Pick in 2016 for Shawn Matthias

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
If there was no 50 contract limit, I'd agree with a lot of what you said, but since there is, I don't.

The Leafs can only stockpile picks for so long before it becomes a problem. At some point you have to consolidate, whether it's sending a bunch of guys off like we did in the Phaneuf Trade or the Grabner trade or we start consolidating picks for higher talent players.

The mindset of more is better is not always correct. There are only so many youngsters that an organization can bear before you start letting them go. I'd rather they draft smarter rather than just draft quantity and hope the odds get better. That works fine for a team needing prospects, the Leafs are no longer that team. Case in point - The Marlies.

So clearly you don't understand that drafting and signing prospects are 2 different things. You have 2 years to sign them, if they aren't worth keeping after that time, then you dont sign them. To say that you don't draft a lot because of that is a joke.

So your whole premise just explodes. By the time they get to 19/20 you have a better idea of what they are/can do. Its not a problem.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
people who suggest that we are going to bundle picks to move up are so out of touch with reality. Smart teams don't trade up. Hunter knows this, shanny knows this, lou knows this. If the pick is positioned near the end of a skill cluster, you pick there. If there are lots of players in that cluster you like, you trade back. "Our pool is full enough" is a joke of a comment. We still need top d prospects, top goalie prospects, a top 2 C prospect, among other things. We need everything people, we arent in a position to start getting picky and burning picks to move up. More picks = more chances to address some of these needs. It's been proven time and time again that you get more value with more picks than you do with trading up at the cost of picks.

Also I don't understand how some of you still fail to comprehend the kessel trade. We still own their 2016 2nd rounder people, if they make the playoffs they get the 2016 2nd and we get their 2016 first. No playoffs = we keep the 2nd and the 1st defers with the other conditions to next year.

That's a really poor understanding of how the draft works. Trading up and down are both valid strategies to use. Once upon a time the San Jose Sharks traded down from 2nd to 6th because they thought they could draft their franchise player at that pick, and also obtain an extra 2nd and 3rd. They got their man in Viktor Kozlov at 6, but the team that traded up ended up with Chris Pronger.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
That's a really poor understanding of how the draft works. Trading up and down are both valid strategies to use. Once upon a time the San Jose Sharks traded down from 2nd to 6th because they thought they could draft their franchise player at that pick, and also obtain an extra 2nd and 3rd. They got their man in Viktor Kozlov at 6, but the team that traded up ended up with Chris Pronger.

Who cares what other people do? dubas and hunter have publicly said that we arent in a position to trade up. Therefore logic would dictate that they are going to remain consistent and draft as many highly skilled prospects as possible.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Who cares what other people do? dubas and hunter have publicly said that we arent in a position to trade up. Therefore logic would dictate that they are going to remain consistent and draft as many highly skilled prospects as possible.

Who cares what Dubas and Hunter have said in the past? Managing a draft is about reacting to real time situations, so if they see the next Bobby Orr sitting there in the undrafted in the fifth round and they're ten picks away, they'll probably do something about it. I'm sure those men are smart enough to make good decisions either way than to be dogmatic slaves to sound bites they may have made in the past.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix

The way I look at it, if you really like a player, then you go ahead and trade up. St. Louis did that with Tarasenko, Ottawa with Karlsson. However if the skill level is similar, I would much rather have more "kicks at the can". I fully believe Hunter will be able to find us atleast 1 gem in the later rounds, and if giving him more picks allows him a greater chance at drafting a Gaudreau, Parayko, Vatenen, then so be it.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
That many picks becomes a problem if it pushes us over the Reserve List max player threshold.

We can have 80 players on the reserve list defined as:

Reserve Lists
The list of players "belonging" to an NHL team is comprised of the following, the total of which may not exceed 80:
Pro players (maximum of 50)
Signed junior players (who have played less than 11 professional games)
Unsigned draft choices
Defected players (unsigned draft choices who are playing in Europe)

I can't find how many players we have under the reserve lists, anyone have a link?

I don't know if there's a site which lists them all, but I do know how to count ;)

Outside of the 50 man NHL contract limit we have:

Signed junior players: 5?
Marner, Dermott, Nielsen, Timashov, Andreas Johnson maybe (not too sure what other category he would fall in)

Unsigned draft choices: 9
Bracco, Dzierkals, Desrocher, Korostelev, Piccinich, Joshua, Vesey, Toninato, Cameranesi

Unsigned Europeans: 3
Lindgren, Engvall, Herzog

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Who cares what Dubas and Hunter have said in the past? Managing a draft is about reacting to real time situations, so if they see the next Bobby Orr sitting there in the undrafted in the fifth round and they're ten picks away, they'll probably do something about it. I'm sure those men are smart enough to make good decisions either way than to be dogmatic slaves to sound bites they may have made in the past.

So rather than admitting that its more likely that their draft philosophy is the same, you maintain that that it would radically change. Seems like a reach bud.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I don't know if there's a site which lists them all, but I do know how to count ;)

Marner, Dermott, Nielsen, Timashov, Andreas Johnson maybe (not too sure what other category he would fall in)

Bracco, Dzierkals, Desrocher, Korostelev, Piccinich, Joshua, Vesey, Toninato, Cameranesi

LOL, fair enough, so between The Leafs, Marlies and Solar Bears we have 50 ? then 17 more for a total of 67 on the reserve list?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
So rather than admitting that its more likely that their draft philosophy is the same, you maintain that that it would radically change. Seems like a reach bud.

Dubas and Hunter have managed one NHL draft ever, so you probably haven't seen everything they're going to do in future drafts.

Lou Lamoriello once traded his 22nd overall and 2nd round pickin the 2003 draft to move up to 17th to drafted Zach Parise.

Try paying more attention, bud.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Dubas and Hunter have managed one NHL draft ever, so you probably haven't seen everything they're going to do in future drafts.

Lou Lamoriello once traded his 22nd overall and 2nd round pickin the 2003 draft to move up to 17th to drafted Zach Parise.

Thats fine, but its much more likely to be consistent than radically different. I don't think Lou is running the drafting here, but that hasn't been confirmed or anything. I would think that hunter/dubas are going to continue to do it.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Some of you are trying to find problems where there isn't any to be honest. I doubt the reserve limits anything we do at any point.

The contract limit is rarely ever an issue. I don't think there's ever been a signing or trade limited by the contract limit.

Really, I have no idea why you guys focus so much on those kind of things.

Last edited:

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
If there was no 50 contract limit, I'd agree with a lot of what you said, but since there is, I don't.

The Leafs can only stockpile picks for so long before it becomes a problem. At some point you have to consolidate, whether it's sending a bunch of guys off like we did in the Phaneuf Trade or the Grabner trade or we start consolidating picks for higher talent players.

The mindset of more is better is not always correct. There are only so many youngsters that an organization can bear before you start letting them go. I'd rather they draft smarter rather than just draft quantity and hope the odds get better. That works fine for a team needing prospects, the Leafs are no longer that team. Case in point - The Marlies.

1. If Leafs stockpile of picks is a problem, that's a good problem.

2. I'd rather they draft smart with quantity.

3. 100% disagree, Leafs are still that team, they need more prospects. Case in point, the Marlies are an AHL team.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Some of you are trying to find problems where there isn't any to be honest. I doubt the reserve limits anything we do at any point.

The contract limit is rarely ever an issue. I don't think there's ever been a signing or trade limit by the contract limit.

Really, I have no idea why you guys focus so much on those kind of things.

Exactly, we traded 5 nothing contracts for Grabner earlier this season.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

The mindset of more is better is not always correct. There are only so many youngsters that an organization can bear before you start letting them go. I'd rather they draft smarter rather than just draft quantity and hope the odds get better. That works fine for a team needing prospects, the Leafs are no longer that team. Casey in point - The Marlies.

Most draft picks bust - so you're better off having as many as possible.

If you need to free up contract spots the Leafs can just do a similar trade to he Grabber deal. Dump a bunch of questionable prospects for a UFA.

Dubas has also talked about turning the Solar Bears into a legit prospect developmental program meaning there are now a lot more potential spots for older prospers to go.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Most draft picks bust - so you're better off having as many as possible.

If you need to free up contract spots the Leafs can just do a similar trade to he Grabber deal. Dump a bunch of questionable prospects for a UFA.

Dubas has also talked about turning the Solar a ears into a legit prospect developmental program meaning there are now a lot more potential spots for older prospers to go.

How many players can you put in the ECHL at once?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
6 of 12 picks this year should be on goalies LOL.

AMEN!!!!

1) Mikhail Berdin
2) Evan Fitzpatrick
3) Filip Gustavsson
4) Carter Hart
5) Zach Sawchenko
6) Vladislav Sukhachyov
7) Dylan Wells

Admittedly I know nothing about this years top prospects,any keepers in that list?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
How many players can you put in the ECHL at once?

I don't think there is a limit

I didn't find the answer to your question but there is a limit on vets you can dress

How many veteran players are allowed in the ECHL?

Each ECHL team shall be limited to four veteran players (excluding goaltenders) on its Active Roster and Reserve during the Season (Regular Season and Playoffs).

http://www.echl.com/faq-s-s12377

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

Andreas Johnson is a pro player, he counts against to 50 limit.

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
Why did Colorado even bother trading for a Shawn Matthias rental?

He's a 4th liner. He can chip in a bit on special teams. He hasn't exactly been exceptional in the role he's played either.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
Why did Colorado even bother trading for a Shawn Matthias rental?

He's a 4th liner. He can chip in a bit on special teams. He hasn't exactly been exceptional in the role he's played either.

They are trying to make the playoffs. They need a bottom 6 winger and he is an upgrade to what they currently have. This is what I gather from Avs fans perspective.

buttman*

The Calgary Flames traded their first round selection in 1990 (20th overall), Detroit's second round selection in 1990 (previously acquired), and Minnesota's second round selection in 1990 (previously acquired) to the New Jersey Devils for the Devils' first (11th overall) and second round selections in 1990.

So Calgary snapped up their man at 11th overall, the first goalie taken that year, leaving all other teams to draft from the goalie scrap pile. That’s right, they chose the consensus top ranked junior goalie available in the draft: Trevor Kidd. Devils snapped up at pick 20 (Calgary's original first round draft position) Martin Brodeur.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
The Calgary Flames traded their first round selection in 1990 (20th overall), Detroit's second round selection in 1990 (previously acquired), and Minnesota's second round selection in 1990 (previously acquired) to the New Jersey Devils for the Devils' first (11th overall) and second round selections in 1990.

So Calgary snapped up their man at 11th overall, the first goalie taken that year, leaving all other teams to draft from the goalie scrap pile. That’s right, they chose the consensus top ranked junior goalie available in the draft: Trevor Kidd. Devils snapped up at pick 20 (Calgary's original first round draft position) Martin Brodeur.

So then Lou has shown that he will trade up if he really likes a prospect, or will trade down if he's not gung ho on a prospect at a particular spot.

Which makes sense, because a set policy of not trading up or trading down at the draft would be absolutely idiotic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad