Confirmed with Link: (TOR/COL) Leafs Acquire Colin Smith + 4th Round Pick in 2016 for Shawn Matthias

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Well the intention all along was to capitalize on trading the signings for draft picks. The cost for a 4th and 7th (smith) was $1,807,317 not counting smiths remainder on his $700,000 including bonuses. Only $70 ahl salary though. So nothing.

Its alot of money for a 4th and 7th though.

Should take into account that we likely would have been paying someone to play regardless if they got moved or not.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Good trade.

Matthias cost is nothing but money to sign. He filled a uniform for the better part of the year. He will be a UFA on July 1.

Turning him into a fourth-round pick and anything is a bonus. Especially the fourth-round pick.

Who knows if the Leafs will even re-sign Colin Smith, who is an RFA at the end of this year? At worst, he was the necessary contract take-back to allow the deal to go through, and he might fill a need for the Marlies this season. At best, if the Leafs re-sign him for next year, that indicates they see some kind of potential for something at the pro level. I am highly doubtful that he ever makes the NHL, but he still might have some use to the Leafs in the grand scheme of things. Otherwise, he will walk too at the end of the season.

All around, it was very encouraging and a very good day.

Now let's see if Lou can do anything with the other UFA's.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Good trade.

Matthias cost is nothing but money to sign. He filled a uniform for the better part of the year. He will be a UFA on July 1.

Turning him into a fourth-round pick and anything is a bonus. Especially the fourth-round pick.

Who knows if the Leafs will even re-sign Colin Smith, who is an RFA at the end of this year? At worst, he was the necessary contract to take back to allow the deal to go through and might fill a need for the Marlies this season. At best, if the Leafs re-sign him for next year, that indicates the see some kind of potential for something at the pro level. I am highly doubtful that he ever makes the NHL, but he still might have some use to the Leafs in the grand scheme of things. Otherwise, he will walk you too at the end of the season.

All around, it was very encouraging and a very good day.

Now let's see if Lou can do anything with the other UFA's.

With Nylander on the big club, and Arcabello possibly not around, there'll be holes to fill down the middle for the Marlies next year for sure.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
But I'm real old, so you better be real old too. I grew up playing darts, could hit the 60 & bulls eye 9 out of 10 times from the reg distance, from 2 feet, I would be brutal.

90% triple 20's you say lol, shows you wouldnt know a dart board from a Ouija board. The ouija board says: bull sh !t haha.

Last edited:

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
sigh

please google the trade details

If Pittsburgh makes the playoffs this year we have their 2016 1st

if they miss scenarios move to next year but we would keep their 2016 2nd from the Winnik trade

No matter what happens we either have the Pens 1st or 2nd this year, exactly 1 pick. Therefore you can add it to the total. We don't know which pitck it will be yet but there will be a pick. This year.

Isn't then the best case scenario actually for the Pens to miss this year, and make the playoffs next year? Or am I missing something?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Isn't then the best case scenario actually for the Pens to miss this year, and make the playoffs next year? Or am I missing something?

no that's probably the worst case scenario. The only difference is this year we give them their 2nd back(which would be at best 45th), if they miss this year and make next year we have to give them our 2nd which is probably in the 31-35 range.

I think I'd prefer them missing both years to that, we'd keep their 2016 2nd(31-44), and get their 2nd next year(31-44), and keep our 2nd next year(probably 31-35), the question becomes does those 3 picks better than their 2016 2nd(31-44), and their 2017 1st(15-30)

Basically it comes down to whether you think a pick 15-30 > a pick 31-44, and a pick 31-35.

it depends on exactly where the picks end up for for an example I'd take the 33rd and 42nd picks before I'd take say the 27th pick

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
90% triple 20's you say lol, shows you wouldnt know a dart board from a Ouija board. The ouija board says: bull sh !t haha.

Triple 20's is my easiest shot. Triple 9's, forget it, as well as most doubles, except double 20, that's easy too. Anyone that played darts regularly would probably say the same about the triple 20's, it's your bread and butter.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
Lamoriello is a genius. How he got a draft pick is beyond me let alone was able to get a team to bite lol. The next 8 days will the most exciting time since the 2013 playoffs

ktf

May 5, 2006
Victoria, B.C.
I love trades like this. There is no way to consider it a loss. If we traded him for a conditional 7th round pick, it would be better then the nothing we had before we signed him. Furthermore, he is clearly the player he is by now and not at all critical to the future.
It is not as if Colorado automatically "loses" either if Mathias is good for them then we both win.

Mr Shanahan

Jul 11, 2007
Toronto
TOR 1
PIT 1/2 - Kessel/Winnik
TOR 2
TOR 3
PIT 3 - Kessel
TOR 4
COL 4 - Matthias
TOR 5
ANA 5 - Holzer
TOR 6
STL 6 - Jokinen
TOR 7

12 in 7 rounds

Keep them coming!

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
TOR 1
PIT 1/2 - Kessel/Winnik
TOR 2
TOR 3
PIT 3 - Kessel
TOR 4
COL 4 - Matthias
TOR 5
ANA 5 - Holzer
TOR 6
STL 6 - Jokinen
TOR 7

12 in 7 rounds

Keep them coming!

That PIT 3 is actually NJ 3, via Pittsburgh. But it's NJ's pick originally.

Reddaye

Nov 1, 2011
New Brunswick
Perfect asset management. Sign a guy for money, and trade him for some usable assets. Smith is nothing to rave about, but he's a young body who will compete and create competition. The pick is another bullet for Hunter to take a shot with, and build on our already impressive cache of picks this draft. Getting this for Matthias, who has been far from amazing so far this year is a good sign for us moving forward to trade deadline.

So far so good. :nod:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The amount of draft picks we have could start up a new team on its own lol

That's the plan essentially.. Leafs want to basically draft their next team for the most part.

Lou is taking this gone to ground zero, and then beginning again through drafting and developing the future.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Meh trade for me. I don't expect anyone involved in this trade will ever amount to anything NHL wise. :shakehead

Having said this, I'm hopeful that Hunter and Dubas will prove me wrong on the draft floor. :amazed:

Colin Smith, I'm calling you out too. Show me you can amount to something in the NHL. :popcorn:

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
That's the plan essentially.. Leafs want to basically draft their next team for the most part.

Lou is taking this gone to ground zero, and then beginning again through drafting and developing the future.

That makes sense. It's just that they can start a new team with Nylander, Marner, Brown, Timashov, Soshnikov, Kapanen, Bracco, Zaitsev, JVR, Reilly next season and on top of that they have a whopping 17 draft picks to keep this well oiled(not an Oilers reference) machine running

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad