Proposal: Tor-Col and Tor-Car

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Actually it'd be the Avs coughing up the 1st.

Personally if COL has to eat the whole Nylander contract then no way do they add a 1st. If T.O. wants the 1st too then they have to eat some salary.

I kind of agree... though I also think maybe just sending back some salary could work instead(And give Toronto some sort of Nylander replacement in the Top 9)

Like...

Nylander + Tor 2nd

For

Newhook + Compher + 24

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I kind of agree... though I also think maybe just sending back some salary could work instead(And give Toronto some sort of Nylander replacement in the Top 9)

Like...

Nylander + Tor 2nd

For

Newhook + Compher + 24

If the premise behind Toronto moving Nylander is to clear space for Pietrangelo, I think sending cap back makes it a bad trade for the Leafs. Compher's $3.5m cap hit means they are moving Nylander to only save about $3.462m, just barely more than they'd get by moving Johnsson for futures.

I also still don't see the reason the Avs are trying to acquire another top 6 winger, when we just averaged 4 goals per game over 15 playoff games (and scored 29 in 7 games against Dallas). More offense isn't going to prevent the injuries, nor would it likely have stopped Dallas from scoring 5 goals in the 4 games we lost.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
If the premise behind Toronto moving Nylander is to clear space for Pietrangelo, I think sending cap back makes it a bad trade for the Leafs. Compher's $3.5m cap hit means they are moving Nylander to only save about $3.462m, just barely more than they'd get by moving Johnsson for futures.

I also still don't see the reason the Avs are trying to acquire another top 6 winger, when we just averaged 4 goals per game over 15 playoff games (and scored 29 in 7 games against Dallas). More offense isn't going to prevent the injuries, nor would it likely have stopped Dallas from scoring 5 goals in the 4 games we lost.

That's probably true.

But, without sending salary back I think the 24 + Newhook is far too much of a price to pay from an Avs POV. Nylander is good, and I would certainly be interested in adding him assuming the Avs miss on Hall and Pietrangelo, but the value of Newhook on his ELC for us is far too high to be moving out here in this sort of deal as is.

Reactions: Richard88

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
That's probably true.

But, without sending salary back I think the 24 + Newhook is far too much of a price to pay from an Avs POV. Nylander is good, and I would certainly be interested in adding him assuming the Avs miss on Hall and Pietrangelo, but the value of Newhook on his ELC for us is far too high to be moving out here in this sort of deal as is.

I agree with all of your points, I just don't see a way to fix it to work for both teams. Either the Avs are giving up too much and/or taking back more cap hit than I'm comfortable with, given the big contracts we have coming up, or we're sending back a cap hit that makes the deal not make sense for the Leafs.

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
I’m not sure. I don’t rank the prospects league wide. But based on his season at BC, Avs fans can at least feel a little better about how he plays against better competition. That was one of the concerns before he was drafted.
Then why did you "lol" my post?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I agree with all of your points, I just don't see a way to fix it to work for both teams. Either the Avs are giving up too much and/or taking back more cap hit than I'm comfortable with, given the big contracts we have coming up, or we're sending back a cap hit that makes the deal not make sense for the Leafs.

Ya... I think if the Avs are taking on Nylanders full cap hit, without sending any cap relief back to Toronto, I think Newhook wouldn't be involved for me.

Nylander's contract isn't really that bad, but in such a climate as the current cap situation, taking on a 7M deal all at once, while also losing your best ELC forward prospect(Who stands a decent chance to be as good as Nylander himself in 2-3 years), on top of a 1st round pick is just too much. I'd much rather sign Hall or Pietrangelo and hang on to Newhook and that pick. If we miss out on Hall then circle back on Nylander(Assuming AP signs with Toronto of course) and see about a deal but Newhook would probably be off limits right now.

Reactions: Richard88

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Ya... I think if the Avs are taking on Nylanders full cap hit, without sending any cap relief back to Toronto, I think Newhook wouldn't be involved for me.

Nylander's contract isn't really that bad, but in such a climate as the current cap situation, taking on a 7M deal all at once, while also losing your best ELC forward prospect(Who stands a decent chance to be as good as Nylander himself in 2-3 years), on top of a 1st round pick is just too much. I'd much rather sign Hall or Pietrangelo and hang on to Newhook and that pick. If we miss out on Hall then circle back on Nylander(Assuming AP signs with Toronto of course) and see about a deal but Newhook would probably be off limits right now.

Again, I agree with you. The only thing I'd really add is that adding a long term, bigger money cap hit to the Avs, whether it's Nylander, Hall, Pietrangelo, or whoever, comes with a risk of cap issues that really concerns me. I'd rather be able to afford to keep our high potential prospects than put ourselves in the position where we're forced to make cap space when the next round of high potential kids are ready for their 2nd contracts. Nylander is managable, since he'll only have 1 year left when Mack's next deal starts, and it's unlikely that Byram/Timmins/Newhook will have earned big 2nd contracts by then, but Hall/Pietrangelo both scare me on 7 year deals.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Again, I agree with you. The only thing I'd really add is that adding a long term, bigger money cap hit to the Avs, whether it's Nylander, Hall, Pietrangelo, or whoever, comes with a risk of cap issues that really concerns me. I'd rather be able to afford to keep our high potential prospects than put ourselves in the position where we're forced to make cap space when the next round of high potential kids are ready for their 2nd contracts. Nylander is managable, since he'll only have 1 year left when Mack's next deal starts, and it's unlikely that Byram/Timmins/Newhook will have earned big 2nd contracts by then, but Hall/Pietrangelo both scare me on 7 year deals.

Do you think Nylander can be a 2C down the road?

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

I don't know if he can make the move to 2C. And because of that, I really don't like the idea of giving up Newhook to get him. I also don't think the Avs necessarily need more offense, so spending high potential assets for more scoring seems like a bad idea.

But, with all of that said, I think he'd be a nice upgrade over Donskoi at 2RW, and it's only 4 years left, so we can make it work. If we could get him without including Newhook or Byram, I'm not sure if I'd do it, but I'd definitely think about it for a while. $7m is a lot of cap space, but we have the space. Only real chance of issues would be Byram making the NHL next season and getting a big second contract, but I'll gladly take that problem.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Personally I think he could very productively as long as the 3rd and 4th line are geared for shut down hockey. He isn’t a great defensive player but he’s very skilled and has the iq. Centre is his natural position.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Please for the love of god. No more Toronto - Carolina trade proposals. They’re all so bad. Just trying to jam Andersen down our throats and take a prime player or asset in exchange. Please stop. Dear lord. No more. End it please.
This time last yr Anderson was considered a top 5 goalie in the NHL, he is still a good goalie and Leaf fans rightfully so should ask for a decent asset, A mid 1st or 2nd+solid prospect or a top prospect seems reasonable.
But hey on HF Nylander is almost a cap dump and Anderson isn't worth a decent asset.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
How many “Andersen to Carolina via Highway Robbery” do we have to go through?

To Toronto fans: We are not giving you #13 or Pesce for Andersen. He’s not playing any better than our two journeymen, cost more cap, only has one year left, and jilted is already.

LOL

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
This time last yr Anderson was considered a top 5 goalie in the NHL, he is still a good goalie and Leaf fans rightfully so should ask for a decent asset, A mid 1st or 2nd+solid prospect or a top prospect seems reasonable.
But hey on HF Nylander is almost a cap dump and Anderson isn't worth a decent asset.

He has one year left before UFA at a time when there are tons of goalie options available. How do you think he’s worth a mid first?

And if he’s so great still why is he constantly being offered in trade proposals? The leafs are often referred to as contenders on this forum and they have no other good option for a starting goalie so why would he be available?

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Why not just sign Hall for 2 or 3 years and hang on to Newhook and the pick?

I think Nylander is a talented player but I also feel like it rules out Hall. I feel like we’d need a left wing who has more of a two way game if we had Nylander at RW.

I feel like Toronto would have to take Cole back. I also feel like Newhook and the 1st is too much.

Maybe Kaut, the 1st, and Cole?
I’d piss my pants happy if Toronto took that deal. But they won’t. Cole is a negative value contract. He was so awful in the bubble.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I’d piss my pants happy if Toronto took that deal. But they won’t. Cole is a negative value contract. He was so awful in the bubble.

My main point is that I don’t think Col does the deal in the OP without sending an undesired salary back. It could be someone else but I don’t think Col takes on 100% of the salary.

Reactions: McJedi

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
My main point is that I don’t think Col does the deal in the OP without sending an undesired salary back. It could be someone else but I don’t think Col takes on 100% of the salary.
If we did a deal like Cole (no retention) and Newhook for Nylander, now I’m more interested. Frees up $4.25mm to get a major upgrade over the lousy Ian Cole.

Reactions: Gabe MacAntanen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad