Confirmed with Link: [TOR/CBJ/SJS] TOR acquire Nick Foligno [75% Retained] & Stefan Noesen for 2021 1st, 2021 & 2022 4ths

Status
Not open for further replies.

BackPassChampions

Jun 26, 2015
People are still complaining about a first???

Why is it so hard to understand that the deal was not just a first for Foligno. It was a first for Foligno AND 50% retention.

That first overall pick won’t see the NHL in YEARS from now. We’re in win now mode.

We have enough prospects and plenty more to come.

Damned if we make a move and damned if we don’t.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Foligno is coming to play with a better team. I fully expect his offense to move up. That defensively aware player already makes us better but he in probability will score more now to. Columbus was not good at generating offense and injuries to good players hampered their offense. Fully expect a better all around Foligno with Leafs

Cynical

Aug 23, 2014
They gave up a lot to get him, but this team is rounding up nicely with a combination of skill, grit and defensive players. They also have one of the hottest goalies in the league right now if not the best.

If you want the Leafs to be all in, this is it. If you don't - well, nothing will please you. You can look at someone like Josh Anderson and hope that Foligno also produces better offensively after moving away from CBJ.

The only thing I question is how many of the Leafs players are legit finishers on offense. Matthews carries this team in scoring right now, so he has to stay healthy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Auston Escobar

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

Why is it so hard to understand that the deal was not just a first for Foligno. It was a first for Foligno AND 50% retention.

That first overall pick won’t see the NHL in YEARS from now. We’re in win now mode.

It’s a second round pick really.we can win the presidents trophy this year. Getting better by the trade too. Out 1st round picks are seconds. Ignore the complaints i do :)

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Or Dubas simply misread the market and undervalued what a 1st-2nd could get you.
Look at comparable to Foligno in recent years and see it's well in line with other similar player's returns. Barclay Goodrow is probably the best comparable to Foligno and he also returned a 1st.. did Tampa misread the market too?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

I wish people would stop saying this. We should be in win now mode for the next decade and a pick today that might not help us until YEARS from now is still valuable since we should be in win now mode YEARS from now.

Not saying this was a bad trade, but let's stop saying that assets that won't help us for a few years have little value to us.

Remember when we decided not trade JVR, Bozak and Komarov and keep them as "own rentals" because we were in win now mode and people were saying that it made complete sense, you don't send your team the wrong message by trading guys when you "have a shot"? Wouldn't it be nice to have the bounty those guys would have returned today (even though it's YEARS later), not to mention the picks we traded away instead for short term help?

Reactions: Marmoset

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
its funny that the only team getting heat for not trading a 2nd for Hall is the toronto maple leafs, when if he's the player people say, then every playoffs team could have both used him and beat that offer.

anyways, there's a reason why Boston needed to get him - not sure people realize how dire things are offensively in Boston this year - they are 27th in 5v5 gf/60, and 29th in 5v5 xgf/60. They are desperate for offense, and the only team that was willing to even give up a 2nd rounder for him.

I doubt any of those folk have even watched Hall this year. He's been utterly brutal.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I literally posted a Foligno + Nash deal here weeks ago. Players that have been the defensive leaders in elite defensive usage for some of the better defensive teams in the league.

My angle has always been thus.

But yes you are right - Palmieri is clearly the better PP player. and has been moderately more productive at even strength (1.64p60 vs 1.42 at EV last 3yrs) in dramatically more offensive usage.
Oddly enough, we could probably use a PP ace right now, but I doubt he'd get the time he needs to thrive there

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Did anyone in the thread already said “overpayment”? Because I for one think that 1st is too much. Like the player and all, but he is not worth it imho.

It will take at least 4 years for a late first round pick to be an impact player. In 2025 are you going to be saying dam I wish we didn't trade that 2021 first round pick. This isn't 2014-2016.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Look at comparable to Foligno in recent years and see it's well in line with other similar player's returns. Barclay Goodrow is probably the best comparable to Foligno and he also returned a 1st.. did Tampa misread the market too?
On a "typical" year, a rental of someone like Hall (50% retained) would get more than a 2nd. Regardless of him having a bad year so far and having a nmc. I mean come on...

I'm not losing sleep over it though. While it's true Dubas paid more for a bottom 6 player than the market dictated, picks this year will be a complete and total crapshoot. I kind of understand the tactic of "Picks are far more useless this year than usual, so lets just use them to get the players we want and who gives a crap about 'market value' of them".

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
It will take at least 4 years for a late first round pick to be an impact player. In 2025 are you going to be saying dam I wish we didn't trade that 2021 first round pick. This isn't 2014-2016.

you guys dont understand asset management .
the point is not throwing away picks or using them , the point is if you get foligno without using your first then you can use your first to get another impact player. we wasted all our picks on this one bullet and he isnt even an impact player that deserves a first.

no one is saying the pickup isnt good ... sure foligno will help by moving players down the lineup .......... but you have to weigh in the cost and asset management side of things.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I'm not losing sleep over it though. While it's true Dubas paid more for a bottom 6 player than the market dictated, picks this year will be a complete and total crapshoot. I kind of understand the tactic of "Picks are far more useless this year than usual, so lets just use them to get the players we want and who gives a crap about 'market value' of them".

a bottom 6 player that leads his team in ice time every year and every playoffs.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
no one is saying the pickup isnt good ... sure foligno will help by moving players down the lineup .......... but you have to weigh in the cost and asset management side of things.

And when you consider that it's essentially quibbling over a pick who would likely be our 6th best prospect vs. a pick who would likely slot in the 8-11 range... it's making a mountain out of a molehill

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
A few former captains in the locker room now. That should be very helpful for the younger guys moving forward as well.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Latest 1st’s and picks become currency when battling for the exact player you need to fill out a high quality contender. I forgive Leaf fans that don’t understand the concept obviously:)
Progress comes at a cost. I am so glad I’m not sitting here today arguing that Colorado’s 1st they gave up for Foligno was worth every bit of it. I’m glad it’s us arguing over the value we paid to get Foligno.I really am. We got him and every other contender is looking at us with envy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad