Confirmed with Link: [TOR/CBJ/SJS] TOR acquire Nick Foligno [75% Retained] & Stefan Noesen for 2021 1st, 2021 & 2022 4ths

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Conversely it also means your scouting staff haven't been able to see those players any more than other teams. So it's not as if there's a way to take advantage.ofnthose falling guys other than some stats analysis of earlier seasons
Oh it will be a crap shoot but likely a late round pick this year has a higher chance of netting a top prospect than a normal year, largely due to luck of the draw so to speak.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Seems like a lot to pay, kind of surprising too as I thought Dubas didn't like rentals. Oh well, trust in Dubas I guess. And now we absolutely have to make it to the final, I mean we were favourites to take the division anyway without adding anyone so this is obviously done with the idea of going further than that so ... get to the final and it will be hard to complain. Don't make it that far and this trade won't look good.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
It wasn't speculation, they were discussing things they'd heard about the negotiation s. Also it happened a month ago..... there's no need to "deflect" anything.

Not to mention where did Palmeri end up? Not with any other Canadian team......
of course there is a need to make excuses , Dubas paid the same price for Foligno that the Islanders did for Palmieri/Zajac

and a month ago it was 2 weeks so why try to act like the discussion they had was still accurate ?

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Wouldn't late picks in this draft be worth more than late picks in normally scouted drafts? Way higher chance of good talent dropping later in the draft because of less scouting..

But without scouting, how would you know who the talented fallers are?

I really dont get that narrative for late picks. For a top 10 pick I would agree though

I don't know why you'd distinguish those as different. Same logic applies to both. The results are going to be more random, so the value of higher picks is lower than usual.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Taylor Hall ($4,000,000 retained - 50%) · $4,000,000 for a 2nd round pick
or
Nick Foligno ($2,750,000 retained - 50%) by CBJ & Nick Foligno ($1,375,000 retained - 50%) by SJ · $1,375,000 = $4,125,000 retention total for a 1st round pick.

Retention was essentially the same in both trades only Leafs spit theirs over 2 teams!!

Leafs paid 1st + 2 X 4ths and Boston paid 2nd rounder for the same retention amount.

Source Capfriendly : NHL Trade History - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Leafs paid 1st pick for Foligno and Nash, just split over two trades and some lower draft picks sprinkled in to make the cap work.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I would say this trade was probably the worst value of the deadline so far.

There will be no cap space to sign Foligno due to flat cap and he loves Columbus so I think he goes back after this year.

Doesn't seem like a dubas trade to me, kind of seems like he bowed down to social pressure as he usually doesn't like very short term rentals.

he literally said in his presser 3 weeks ago, we are specifically looking for short term rentals who are on expiring contracts....

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Seems like a lot to pay, kind of surprising too as I thought Dubas didn't like rentals. Oh well, trust in Dubas I guess. And now we absolutely have to make it to the final, I mean we were favourites to take the division anyway without adding anyone so this is obviously done with the idea of going further than that so ... get to the final and it will be hard to complain. Don't make it that far and this trade won't look good.
He’s adapting to the landscape, with the flat cap and the expansion draft coming up… His adaptiveness is probably his best strength, along with his loyalty and good karma kind of approach to managing

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Didn't Pittsburgh give a 2nd for Carter? That's real bad
It is a 3rd that becomes a 2nd if the Pens reach the cup finals and Carter plays at least 50% of the games. Also a conditional 3rd based on games played next year because Carter had an extra year of term. Definitely way less value for a more productive player

Reactions: Advanced stats

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
But without scouting, how would you know who the talented fallers are?

I don't know why you'd distinguish those as different. Same logic applies to both. The results are going to be more random, so the value of higher picks is lower than usual.
The randomness helps later picks as in normal drafts most of the very good talent would be known and picked within the top 10/15. This year not so much so you will see more of those guys normally selected that high dropping later in the draft. Teams will be hoping they lucky and hit the jackpot on later picks

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
i'm wondering why we didn't trade for Palmieri if we that willing to dump our first ?

Even Strength Offense, this year:

Palmieri: 37gms, 6gls, 11pts
Foligno: 42gms, 6gls, 11pts

last year:

Palmieri: 65gms, 14gls, 27pts
Foligno: 67gms, 8gls, 26pts

year before:

Palmieri: 74gms, 16gls, 32pts
Foligno: 73gms, 15gls, 31pts

and Palmieri does that in offensive usage with high ozone starts, while Foligno does it in elite defensive usage.

so in short, because foligno is better.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Buffalo wanted a 1st for Hall too but nobody would pay that, Dubas had to pay a 1st for Foligno because several other GM’s were offering 1st’s. Several GM’s were offering 1st’s because they’re more familiar with both these players than any fan is by a long shot, and deemed Foligno to have more value. Why they deemed Foligno to have more value? because regardless of the importance of the game or the quality of the team around them, Nick Foligno, much like Zach Hyman, always shows up to work.

Hall - in the best case scenario - has been mailing it in instead of trying to be the difference maker because he’s on the Sabres, that reeks of character issues. The other side of that coin is he is essentially now what the eye test says he is, which might not even be worth a 2nd round pick.

It’s a good trade, and with the draft being such a crapshoot this year our 2nd round pick as the same odds of hitting as the 1st.
Or Dubas simply misread the market and undervalued what a 1st-2nd could get you.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
he literally said in his presser 3 weeks ago, we are specifically looking for short term rentals who are on expiring contracts....
Ya I know that he was looking for a rental because of the expansion draft, I Just didn't think be would be willing to give up a 1st to get an aging vet who adds grit and not that much else.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
The randomness helps later picks as in normal drafts most of the very good talent would be known and picked within the top 10/15. This year not so much so you will see more of those guys normally selected that high dropping later in the draft. Teams will be hoping they lucky and hit the jackpot on later picks

But you have no way to identity them.

You could only see that as a positive if you're bad at scouting and like playing the odds instead, but that's not how you should be drafting.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
of course there is a need to make excuses , Dubas paid the same price for Foligno that the Islanders did for Palmieri/Zajac

and a month ago it was 2 weeks so why try to act like the discussion they had was still accurate ?

Why would they make excuses for a trade that hadn't even happened a month ago?

Why would Palmeri change his mind about not wanting to go through qurantine?

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
For all you Taylor Hall Fanboys....here's why the Sabres got such a low return. He didn't wanna come to Toronto

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Most teams realize that Foligno is an infinitely better playoff player than Hall and actually has playoff experience. Foligno was an infinitely better add from a Leafs perspective. I don't think people realize how stacked the Leafs are right now. The only thing that would make this better is if Rielly would wake up and play like the last two years.

Reactions: ToneDog

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Why would they make excuses for a trade that hadn't even happened a month ago?

Why would Palmeri change his mind about not wanting to go through qurantine?
you're the one making the excuses not them , i thought i made that clear

maybe he changed his mind because he had to quarantine for half the time , did you think of that or did you ignore it because you're so consumed with defending the Dube's every move

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Most teams realize that Foligno is an infinitely better playoff player than Hall and actually has playoff experience. Foligno was an infinitely better add from a Leafs perspective. I don't think people realize how stacked the Leafs are right now. The only thing that would make this better is if Rielly would wake up and play like the last two years.

Estimated Career Earnings
q.svg
: $44,214,706

Maybe Foligno decides to take Thornton's spot next year.

Really close to Buffalo, almost home.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
The reaction of supposedly learned, nuanced posters clamoring for grit when we acquire an actual difference making physical two way forward

"But someone slightly better offensively went for less!"

Reactions: Da Cool Rula
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad