Confirmed with Link: [TOR/CBJ/SJS] TOR acquire Nick Foligno [75% Retained] & Stefan Noesen for 2021 1st, 2021 & 2022 4ths

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I think anyone painting Foligno as just a bottom 6 guy is missing the point personally.

And as far as the first rounder goes. We have an exceptional opportunity ahead of us this playoffs. If not this year, when do you trade your 1st to be all in.

Tampa traded 2 firsts for Goodrow and Coleman last year, neither of which being as good as Foligno.

Everyone wants to talk about this being a buyer's market allegedly, well it really hasn't played out that way across most of the league, and Foligno was one of the most sought after guys available. There's a reason virtually all the other contenders were in on him too

Reactions: Auston 316 and glue

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
true. then again i'm not sure i'm looking to Palmieri to fix our PP issues.

We already have the personnel on this team to sort the powerplay. They've proven across stretches of multiple seasons they can do it. Just need to go out and do it

Reactions: Auston 316

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I think Dubas should have pushed hard for a condition on the pick where if the Leafs don’t get passed the first round the 1st becomes a 2nd. Losing in the first round again would be hard enough but this price for Foligno would make it even harder.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
you guys dont understand asset management .
the point is not throwing away picks or using them , the point is if you get foligno without using your first then you can use your first to get another impact player. we wasted all our picks on this one bullet and he isnt even an impact player that deserves a first.

no one is saying the pickup isnt good ... sure foligno will help by moving players down the lineup .......... but you have to weigh in the cost and asset management side of things.

we didn't waste our first, the management team identified Foligno as the guy they would spend to the threshold to get. Foligno himself said there were at least 3 other teams who had offers. which means the leafs had to pay a premium to get him. If your management group feels like Foligno can be a big difference maker than so be it. The draft is a crapshoot, if it's a late first, you'll get the same value potentially in the 2nd round. Also we may be able to move someone in the summer to recoup a second or first.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I think Dubas should have pushed hard for a condition on the pick where if the Leafs don’t get passed the first round the 1st becomes a 2nd. Losing in the first round again would be hard enough but this price for Foligno would make it even harder.

really? who in the first round is really going to be someone that we miss out on? I rather see Dubas put the cards on the table and try for a cup, as opposed to draft a prospect who isn't going to crack this line up until 2025.

Reactions: Auston 316

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
Brodie, Bogosian, Thornton, Simmonds, Galchenyuk, Foligno, and Rittich... add these guys to Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander, Hyman, Spezza, Muzzin, Reilly, Holl and Campbell.

Let's go win the #%&ing Stanley Cup

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Grrr & how does this help the Leafs fill their arguably greatest need?

I thought the greatest need was a goalie, that need has been addressed. Other than that, I guess you could argue we needed a Dman more but I'm not sure that's true either. I think Foligno hits the spot myself.

Reactions: Da Cool Rula

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
And when you consider that it's essentially quibbling over a pick who would likely be our 6th best prospect vs. a pick who would likely slot in the 8-11 range... it's making a mountain out of a molehill

lord almighty its asset management .... it has nothing to do with prospect A or B or the pick number ... we are talking about the price being paid for what you are receiving in return.

for example : if now you wanted player X ... whoever it is doesnt matter you have less assets to aquire them , use your assets wisely to maximize your return ... this is what good gm's do

using the picks doesnt matter argument is dumb as hell. would you still be happy if the trade was folingno for ALL out picks this year ? guess what you wont because that is shit asset management.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
lord almighty its asset management .... it has nothing to do with prospect A or B or the pick number ... we are talking about the price being paid for what you are receiving in return.

for example : if now you wanted player X ... whoever it is doesnt matter you have less assets to aquire them , use your assets wisely to maximize your return ... this is what good gm's do

using the picks doesnt matter argument is dumb as hell. would you still be happy if the trade was folingno for ALL out picks this year ? guess what you wont because that is shit asset management.
Lots of ways to re-coup assets and it doesn't all have to be done right now, but as an example there is the free wallet route (Russia and NCAA) and then in the summer he can trade any number of our depth guys for picks or more depth guys like they did with Kappy and Johnsson.

Reactions: francis246

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Lots of ways to re-coup assets and it doesn't all have to be done right now, but as an example there is the free wallet route (Russia and NCAA) and then in the summer he can trade any number of our depth guys for picks or more depth guys like they did with Kappy and Johnsson.

Ya the whole free wallet thing helps take the sting out of losing picks for sure.

Who's the Kappy/Johnsson equivalents we could use to recoup picks? Dermott is the only one I can think of but even him we might lose to the draft.

Reactions: Da Cool Rula

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
It will take at least 4 years for a late first round pick to be an impact player. In 2025 are you going to be saying dam I wish we didn't trade that 2021 first round pick. This isn't 2014-2016.

I'm not saying it's bad move. Not at all. It's just that rumors were that Columbus was looking for the first and Mini who also was interested did not see that as price they would pay. So marker was not strong supporting giving up first for Foligno. Perhaps it's Nash for 7th that shall be considered as part of this deal. Then it's probably just slight over-payment on Leafs part as Columbus was willing to do whatever is necessary to get that first from us. Hopefully Nash can recover from injury and play good for us.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
His qualifying offer is 7.5, then we would have 5 guys pushing 50 million. lol. Not to mention we cant have a guy that just shoots. It would only be a game or two when other players start shirking the hard unappreciated work. Points are all that matters: not.
We would get rid of Nylander as soon as possible in this scenario. And pairing Laine with Nylander and Tavares would solve any possible problems. Tavares is slow so he would fit nicely with Laine and Marner is amazing as a playmaker so he could maximize the effect of a guy like Laine.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

Let us know when you learn your second aspect of hockey.

Last edited:

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
They shouldn't encourage the Foligno jump. That's a good way to blow out your knee. Seen a few football players end their season on stuff like that.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
It’s funny that on the Habs board, their fans like this deal better than ours do

You guys got a great deal...I still think Hall would have been the right move since he's having his worst career year but Foligno was the 2nd best move imo.

I think whoever makes it out of this division will win it all, so Leafs or Bruins essentially...both teams are both very skilled and deep. Not exactly fun to be typing this out as a habs fan.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Supply and demand wise I think the value was fine. I think the extra 4th was to outbid other teams.
Foligno might be a 35ish point two-way player for the jackets but for us, he can be a 45ish point, two-way player. His ability to play basically anywhere in the lineup is just gravy. Not to mention everything else he adds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad