Confirmed with Link: [TOR/CBJ/SJS] TOR acquire Nick Foligno [75% Retained] & Stefan Noesen for 2021 1st, 2021 & 2022 4ths

Status
Not open for further replies.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
Jarmo Kakalainen (sp) " All of TO, WAS, and COL offered 1st round picks for Foligno so we asked him where he wanted to go" .

Then that puts it to bed. It was the market price for him. Mini was out of bidding as they didn't match the ask. All contenders offered firsts. But, geez, how Colorado even has space to fit him with that stacked team?

Reactions: Menzinger

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Jarmo Kakalainen (sp) " All of TO, WAS, and COL offered 1st round picks for Foligno so we asked him where he wanted to go" .

there you have it. Foligno was the top forward value wise available at the deadline and that was set by the market. Not necessarily the leafs

Reactions: Auston 316

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Oh that's very cool. He's the one guy I was hoping we would pick up. Maybe he'll sign here?

maybe but it sounds like his family is deeply rooted in Columbus. I would expect that he will be back in Columbus after this season. Or will sign in Minnesota

Auston 316

Jun 25, 2016
I think Dubas should have pushed hard for a condition on the pick where if the Leafs don’t get passed the first round the 1st becomes a 2nd. Losing in the first round again would be hard enough but this price for Foligno would make it even harder.
“Oh ok thanks - great offer but team A is giving us a first guaranteed- thanks for your interest though!”

Reactions: Menzinger

Auston 316

Jun 25, 2016
lord almighty its asset management .... it has nothing to do with prospect A or B or the pick number ... we are talking about the price being paid for what you are receiving in return.

for example : if now you wanted player X ... whoever it is doesnt matter you have less assets to aquire them , use your assets wisely to maximize your return ... this is what good gm's do

using the picks doesnt matter argument is dumb as hell. would you still be happy if the trade was folingno for ALL out picks this year ? guess what you wont because that is shit asset management.
The leafs traded ALL their picks for Foligno?

Auston 316

Jun 25, 2016
Didn’t know this. Even better lol

f*** some people will a)never be happy b) apparently have second lives as flies on GMs walls lol

Reactions: ChurchOfMatthews

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
I'm so stoked.

ICYMI

Man, that is great interview. Dubas made some trades for guys that get it. And I think Nick is right that we have team that has identity now and that identity just got even tougher. We are on right path and not fooling around. Maybe loss last year will be blessing in disguise for this group.

Reactions: CanadasTeam

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
It was only a couple of seasons ago that Nick Foligno, then the captain of the Columbus Blue Jackets, sized up the defensive acumen of the Toronto Maple Leafs and scoffed at what he saw.

“Once we got underneath the hash marks against that team, man, we gave ’em fits,” Foligno said of the Leafs back in 2018. “They didn’t have much. They do not like defending down there at all.”

Opinion | The Maple Leafs are better with Nick Foligno — whose quotable shot at Toronto’s defence no longer applies

o_O

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Man, that is great interview. Dubas made some trades for guys that get it. And I think Nick is right that we have team that has identity now and that identity just got even tougher. We are on right path and not fooling around. Maybe loss last year will be blessing in disguise for this group.

He's a playoff type player, it's hard to quantify but easy to pick out. I'm ecstatic with this pick up, the thought that opponents will have to keep their heads up, that we have a guy that can make the other team make mistakes, is immensely satisfying. At the end of the day typically the team that makes the least amount of mistakes wins.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Ya the whole free wallet thing helps take the sting out of losing picks for sure.

Who's the Kappy/Johnsson equivalents we could use to recoup picks? Dermott is the only one I can think of but even him we might lose to the draft.
I think all lot of that depends on how we do in the playoffs, ie. If we win the cup does Spezza and Jumbo retire? Do Simmonds and Bogo go elsewhere trying to cash in on what would probably be their last contracts? If yes we'd have to replace them, so maybe where you would want to replace Engvall for a draft pick you'd instead keep him to fill the gaps left by guys moving on

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
In a vacuum, yes that's a pretty safe assumption. That said, also comes down to how much competition there was, retention, etc.

Hall is an interesting one. If he does what he can, there's value to be had there. If he does what he has done, not much value. It's actually kind of interesting he went to Boston because it seems like both sides took the opposite of their normal general MO, which in many ways makes me feel this is the right pick for TO.

This is actually great observation. No one would be surprised if that is NF to Boston and Hall to TO at deadline. It's quite opposite this year. Hopefully he meshes well with our group.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
to be honest Gally will probably have just as much of an impact on our playoff fortunes as Foligno will since he decided to give an effort
not knocking Foligno , just feel we could have gotten a better player for that pkg
Well. One thing we know for sure that Foligno effort would not promote lesser effort by guys like Gally. Puts the team on the same page, eh?

lovemyleafs

Jan 23, 2017
Because Laine said he wanted to play for the Leafs before getting drafted in 2016. Winnipeg had no business drafting him. We should've had both the top 2 picks so we could've drafted both Matthews and Laine back then. Now would've been a perfect moment to correct that misfortune and set things right and it would've only cost a few picks to get the deal done.

Bro this isn't Cinderella

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I think Leafs will try and resign him.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
lord almighty its asset management .... it has nothing to do with prospect A or B or the pick number ... we are talking about the price being paid for what you are receiving in return.

If you try harder you can probably get asset management into a post even more times.

And yes, we are talking about the price. But in this case the marginal difference in price in the context of it's impact to our actual asset pool is negligible.

This trade going down as it did
Sandin/Liljegren/Robertson/Amirov -> Niemela -> 2021 2nd/Hirvonen/Meittinen/Hallander/Kokkonen/Kral/Abruzzeze/Abramov/

If Dubas was a great asset manager such as yourself and got him for a 2nd
Sandin/Liljegren/Robertson/Amirov -> Niemela/2021 1st ->Hirvonen/Meittinen/Hallander/Kokkonen/Kral/Abruzzeze/Abramov/

If we had a barren pool it might be an issue, but as it is...

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Then that puts it to bed. It was the market price for him. Mini was out of bidding as they didn't match the ask. All contenders offered firsts. But, geez, how Colorado even has space to fit him with that stacked team?

Well, Colorado signs their guys to bargain deals. Mckinnon only makes $6.3, Landeskog $5.5. And off course they got Kadri at $4.5.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
He said he likes the return for Columbus. Seems pretty clear he's heading back.
Good for them, he knows how much Columbus values him.

He could very well re-sign with them, but things said in his interview seems like something we should hold onto if we can.

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
Are people still complaining about this? I want the guy who battles the corners and makes space for our goal scorers. Our top 6 is great. We needed someone who can move up and down the lineup.

Hall doesn't play bottom 6 roles well as it is outside his skillset. Foligno thrives in it.

People understand Foligno makes our special teams better and makes Hyman more dangerous.

ClarkSittler

Mar 25, 2014
Love this trade, exactly what we need. Could care less about a late first rounder in a nothing draft. Our core is entering their prime years, time to win is now.

I still have nightmares about our game 7 collapse against the Bruins. If Foligno was playing for us then, that doesn't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->