Confirmed with Link: [TOR/CBJ] Leafs Acquire Kerby Rychel for Scott Harrington + Conditional 5th

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
Why Mike? Rychel has more nhl experience that Crouse and imo a better projection.
If FLA is willing to dump Crouse to get rid of Bolland then maybe FLA was not too high on him, as was CLB not high on Rychel so lateral move at best we should not add.

Crouse is a significantly better prospect than Rychel though, come on. And even using your argument: Columbus gave Rychel away almost for free, while Florida had to attach him to one of the worst contracts in the league to get rid of it.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Something to keep in mind, Rychel was linked to the Leafs for long time before the trade happened (I think even the season prior) - they've had their eye on him.

Crouse is a significantly better prospect than Rychel though, come on. And even using your argument: Columbus gave Rychel away almost for free, while Florida had to attach him to one of the worst contracts in the league to get rid of it.

Rychel put up better numbers than Crouse has so far in juniors - I haven't seen anything from Crouse that shows he's seperated himself.

Last edited:

Mr Hockey*

Something to keep in mind, Rychel was linked to the Leafs for long time before the trade happened (I think even the season prior) - they've had their eye on him.

Rychel put up better numbers than Crouse has so far in juniors - I haven't seen anything from Crouse that shows he's selerated himself.

Crouse is considered a high end prospect in the hockey world. Rychel was traded for a AHL player, I am guessing the leafs had the best offer.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Crouse is considered a high end prospect in the hockey world. Rychel was traded for a AHL player, I am guessing the leafs had the best offer.

High end based on what though.

His junior numbers aren't overly impressive, the only thing he has going for him at the moment is draft pedigree.

Both he and Rychel look like they'll top out as maybe third line wingers. Rychel however looks lot closer to reaching that than Crouse considering he's further along in his development.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Crouse currently holds higher value than Rychel.

That's a fact.

Most would agree on that - but having more value is based on potential.

There's nothing tangible that one can point to that shows Crouse will be a better NHLer - or even a better AHLer.

Crouse was also just involved in a trade, where the biggest asset coming from the other team was a 2nd round pick. He's hardly a bluechip.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough

There's nothing tangible that one can point to that shows Crouse will be a better NHLer - or even a better AHLer.

Crouse was also just involved in a trade, where the biggest asset coming from the other team was a 2nd round pick. He's hardly a bluechip.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but that pick would have been much higher if the team trading that pick wasn't also taking on Bolland's garbage contract.

LeafsRReady

Aug 14, 2011
High end based on what though.

His junior numbers aren't overly impressive, the only thing he has going for him at the moment is draft pedigree.

Both he and Rychel look like they'll top out as maybe third line wingers. Rychel however looks lot closer to reaching that than Crouse considering he's further along in his development.

Crouse probably has the higher value because of size, age and draft position. I'm not the biggest Rychel fan but he is more of a natural scorer, and while smaller plays much more physically. I agree that both seem to project more as 3rd liners and in that role, it's at least arguable that Rychel is a better fit based on the evidence so far.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
I have almost no idea what to expect from this guy. Do you think he's comparable to someone like leivo? Just not sure if I should be pumped about rychel or not lol

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal

I've seen Crouse a lot and Rychel a little over the last 2-3 years and I'd say goal scoring is about equal, Crouse has more of a bully side to him and Rychel is a little better playmaker.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I have almost no idea what to expect from this guy. Do you think he's comparable to someone like leivo? Just not sure if I should be pumped about rychel or not lol

Him along with some other prospects/young guys I try to remain level and not expect things. More refreshing to see them surprise....Kapanen, Gauthier, Dermott,Neilsen. Will fall into that category too. I find it better that way

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
9 goals in 86 games in nhl/ahl last year, hes had an horrible time scoring as a pro, dont expect much scoring from him

hes more of a hyman like grinding player with good size, but he doesnt have hymans relentless motor/speed

considering we literally got him for nothing, i dont know what to expect, for sure dont expect much next year

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

Let's not pretend that they just dealt the kid for a 2nd round pick. I'm not Crouses biggest fan but you can't argue that the tools are there. You can point to junior stats all day, which are meaningless to me, but if you insist, Gabriel Landeskog posted similar junior numbers as a high pick. Lucic did too. As have plenty of others. Crouse was picked where he was based on his physical tools, not based on junior stats.

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
I didn't understand why Crouse got so much attention in his draft year. Just looking at his stats you wouldn't even give him a look until the third round. Never mind mid way through the first!!! With his size he is every GM's wet dream, but there is no skill there. So why? Didn't everyone learn their lesson with Tyler Biggs? Just looking at stats Rychel looks like he is at a whole other level compared to Crouse at the same stage. Rychel has not lived up to his hype either but I can't see Crouse even giving Rychel any completion.

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
I didn't understand why Crouse got so much attention in his draft year. Just looking at his stats you wouldn't even give him a look until the third round. Never mind mid way through the first!!! With his size he is every GM's wet dream, but there is no skill there. So why? Didn't everyone learn their lesson with Tyler Biggs? Just looking at stats Rychel looks like he is at a whole other level compared to Crouse at the same stage. Rychel has not lived up to his hype either but I can't see Crouse even giving Rychel any completion.

I can remember people talking him up so much his draft and comparing him to JvR, even proposing trading JvR for that pick IIRC. I wasn't high on him and it still hasn't gotten better. Rychel's value has dropped only because he has pro experience with an organization that made him travel the bus more than anyone should. Either leave him in the AHL for a complete year or two and then bring him up or to the big show and done. It has hurt him and coming here where he isn't guaranteed anything except to fight up the depth chart should be really good for him.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'd easily trade Rychel for Crouse, and add.

Crouse stats aren't great, but don't forget he isn't a goal scorer and still lead his team in scoring his draft year.

Last year he was a 1.27 PPG as an 18 year old, and still he isn't a goal scorer. Rychel as an 18 year old had a 1.28 PPG.

But I was quite satisfied to get Rychel for a spare prospect and conditional 5th.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I'd easily trade Rychel for Crouse, and add.

Crouse stats aren't great, but don't forget he isn't a goal scorer and still lead his team in scoring his draft year.

Last year he was a 1.27 PPG as an 18 year old, and still he isn't a goal scorer. Rychel as an 18 year old had a 1.28 PPG.

But I was quite satisfied to get Rychel for a spare prospect and conditional 5th.

This.

Easily trade up but satisfied with what we already got.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Its important to note that junior stats alone is not the driving force that makes an NHL player successful.

If stats was the begin all and end all then your scouting department could simply place all prospects into a spreadsheet and short by points or PPG and draft off those list.

Scouts are projecting what they see and how it will translate at the NHL level and includes lots of intangibles like leadership, character & heart etc.

Rychel was well worth the gamble by Leafs for the price it cost but Leafs were not getting Crouse for Harrington and 5th.

sgupca

Oct 9, 2008
Halifax, NS
Its important to note that junior stats alone is not the driving force that makes an NHL player successful.

If stats was the begin all and end all then your scouting department could simply place all prospects into a spreadsheet and short by points or PPG and draft off those list.

Scouts are projecting what they see and how it will translate at the NHL level and includes lots of intangibles like leadership, character & heart etc.

Rychel was well worth the gamble by Leafs for the price it cost but Leafs were not getting Crouse for Harrington and 5th.

One of the better comparisons I've read (to Crouse) is Gabriel Landeskog. Similar skill-set in junior and similar hockey tangibles. Will Crouse develop into a top line winger? who knows, but when you watch him play you can see what most scouts saw in him. He already has a polished game and great size.

I can't believe some are comparing Rychel and Crouse. It's quite laughable.

As leaf fans we hope the Rychel deal works out, but there is no chance he'll be the NHL player Crouse is.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
What is the most toxic contract in the NHL these days? The cap dump price has been inching up with Teravainen and now Crouse being dumped.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
What is the most toxic contract in the NHL these days? The cap dump price has been inching up with Teravainen and now Crouse being dumped.

David Clarkson.

How lucky we were.

HM: Dustin Brown, Dan Girardi, Mark Staal, David Bolland.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
One of the better comparisons I've read (to Crouse) is Gabriel Landeskog. Similar skill-set in junior and similar hockey tangibles. Will Crouse develop into a top line winger? who knows, but when you watch him play you can see what most scouts saw in him. He already has a polished game and great size.

I can't believe some are comparing Rychel and Crouse. It's quite laughable.

As leaf fans we hope the Rychel deal works out, but there is no chance he'll be the NHL player Crouse is.

In addition to points, I also believe Crouse will be an everyday player. Meaning he will always be in the lineup and a valuable part of it. When not scoring, are you still to important to take out of the lineup. What else are you doing? Are you invisible?
I think Crouse will be the more consistent player as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad