Confirmed with Link: [TOR/CBJ] Leafs Acquire Kerby Rychel for Scott Harrington + Conditional 5th

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
In addition to points, I also believe Crouse will be an everyday player. Meaning he will always be in the lineup and a valuable part of it. When not scoring, are you still to important to take out of the lineup. What else are you doing? Are you invisible?
I think Crouse will be the more consistent player as well.
I will admit I don't watch a lot of Frontenac games but what I've seen, including tournaments he's been in specifically, invisible is a word I would use. I'm not saying this is his game, just saying this is why I'm not too impressed with him. Was shocked he went so high. Add in Biggs recency bias and I just want nothing to do with him.
Rychel always seemed to catch my eye in the limited views I've had of him. Again nothing special but he seemed to make plays offense and disrupt plays on defense.
These are just my personal feelings and I am far from objective.

sgupca

Oct 9, 2008
Halifax, NS
I will admit I don't watch a lot of Frontenac games but what I've seen, including tournaments he's been in specifically, invisible is a word I would use. I'm not saying this is his game, just saying this is why I'm not too impressed with him. Was shocked he went so high. Add in Biggs recency bias and I just want nothing to do with him.
Rychel always seemed to catch my eye in the limited views I've had of him. Again nothing special but he seemed to make plays offense and disrupt plays on defense.
These are just my personal feelings and I am far from objective.

This is just my opinion, but people who dislike Crouse often haven't seen him play. IMO he was better than Marner at the recent WJC and the summer showcase. Now don't get me wrong, I think Marner will be the superior player at the NHL level, but Crouse carried a 3rd line at the WJ's with inferior players to Marner and Strome.

anyways back on Rychel...I think he tops out as a bottom 6 winger. He's still a better player than Harrington, so imo we won the deal.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Let's not pretend that they just dealt the kid for a 2nd round pick. I'm not Crouses biggest fan but you can't argue that the tools are there. You can point to junior stats all day, which are meaningless to me, but if you insist, Gabriel Landeskog posted similar junior numbers as a high pick. Lucic did too. As have plenty of others. Crouse was picked where he was based on his physical tools, not based on junior stats.

And guys drafted to be he next Lucic almost never pan out. Lucic is a very, very unique player and his development path was an abnormality.

The exact same mindset went into drafting Biggs - physical tools over skill. Recipe for a bust if I ever saw one

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
This is just my opinion, but people who dislike Crouse often haven't seen him play. IMO he was better than Marner at the recent WJC and the summer showcase. Now don't get me wrong, I think Marner will be the superior player at the NHL level, but Crouse carried a 3rd line at the WJ's with inferior players to Marner and Strome.

anyways back on Rychel...I think he tops out as a bottom 6 winger. He's still a better player than Harrington, so imo we won the deal.

WJC - Marner was ahead by a mile

Summer show case - Crouse was better. Strome and Marner weren't good.

BeLeafer11

Jan 12, 2009

Better than Marner? Not sure if serious. Did you miss the time when Marner completely took over the game?

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Kerby can top out as a player being a Leo Komorav type.
More likely though a see him being a forward similar to Zack Kassian or Nick Foligno (2014 season not included).
A popular player that can play up or down in your line up.

A nice addition.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Kerby Rychel excited by second chance with Maple Leafs

The 21-year-old, first-round draft pick coming off a trying 2015-16 with Columbus, where his career failed to launch, prompting a trade request.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/leaf...xcited-by-second-chance-with-maple-leafs.html

Rychel’s 32 games in the NHL last season were spent primarily with bottom-six forwards, resulting in low production and possession figures. His scored only six goals with Lake Erie, but his more impressive assists total (21) showed promise that, given better linemates, he could produce better numbers, and make other players better.

A trade to Toronto has Rychel excited to start afresh and play with an organization with potential for a long-term upside.

He’s gained experience through his ordeal, and through his father’s advice and teachings — but he’s learned mostly to rely on himself.

“He (father) was telling me I could be a pro from a young age,” Rychel said. “When you get to be 17 and 18, you figure it out for yourself. We still talk a lot (with his father), but not so much about hockey anymore.”

With training camp about to open, Rychel has been in Toronto all summer, working with skating coach Barb Underhill and skills coach Mike Ellis.

Rychel, while having more NHL experience than Leaf prospect gems like Auston Matthews and Mitch Marner, still faces the same uphill battle for ice time he saw in Columbus.

SnazzyNazzy

Oct 20, 2012
Waterloo
Every time he touches the puck I'm going to think of this guy

2628192-center-robert-reichel-of-the-toronto-maple-gettyimages.jpg

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

The 21-year-old, first-round draft pick coming off a trying 2015-16 with Columbus, where his career failed to launch, prompting a trade request.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/leaf...xcited-by-second-chance-with-maple-leafs.html

I really wanted to draft him but was upset when Columbus got him.

I was VERY happy with the trade, but given our body count up front, I don't see him cracking the team to start. He will get top line AHL time and then I think at the trade deadline he'll come up. He does represent some skill and meanness that we don't have in our prospect pool.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

I was VERY happy with the trade, but given our body count up front, I don't see him cracking the team to start. He will get top line AHL time and then I think at the trade deadline he'll come up. He does represent some skill and meanness that we don't have in our prospect pool.

He was a first Round Draft choice but it seems as the article has indicated, he hasn't progressed very well and I hope he can fit in better with our prospects and system and show something, it's good to hear that you believe he can be a good asset and I agree we need a little toughness on L/W, if he can play anywhere close to Komarov, we should have a decent young player going forward.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He was a first Round Draft choice but it seems as the article has indicated, he hasn't progressed very well and I hope he can fit in better with our prospects and system and show something, it's good to hear that you believe he can be a good asset and I agree we need a little toughness on L/W, if he can play anywhere close to Komarov, we should have a decent young player going forward.

He was great in his post draft year in the OHL.

for whatever reason with Columbus I never felt like they put him in a position to succeed with some decent ice time etc. I know nothing is ever given but he represents a top 20 draft pick, he likely wants some confidence going etc.

Top 9 winger for our team in the future is a strong possibility. Give him great PP time and top line AHL time and I think it'll help him, and once we clear out some of our forward vets he'll be ready to come up and contribute to the big club. I sincerely believe it.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara

The article makes it sound like he was receiving some poor advice from his father which messed with his thinking and now Kerby doesn't talk with his father about hockey as much anymore.

So many young players with potential have been messed up by interfering parents. Hope he can get his career straightened out with the Leafs and find a productive role.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
The article makes it sound like he was receiving some poor advice from his father which messed with his thinking and now Kerby doesn't talk with his father about hockey as much anymore.

So many young players with potential have been messed up by interfering parents. Hope he can get his career straightened out with the Leafs and find a productive role.

I'm not sure that's the case but it may be, Warren Rychel played for over 10 years in the NHL, with a number of teams, among them the Leafs, so he has passed on a lot of good information and has likely been a good instructor for Kerby in his career but your right parents can be the best and worst advisors in their career.

It appears that Columbus wanted Kerby to become a tough, checking L/W and a third line player and maybe that is his best position.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009

Me too.
That was the Gauthier draft I think. Remember wanting either Rychel or Lazar with our pick and they both went a couple of picks ahead of us.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

I agree with this.

A player's parent is the worst possible hockey guy to judge his potential. A father loves his kid unconditionally and isn't able to be objective regarding his child's abilities and limitations.

His trade price was low in part due to an apparent unwillingness to accept his likely career trajectory. I get it, it's fun to be a scorer, it's also more lucrative. However he doesn't have to play like his dad to become a useful NHLer, he only has to play like someone like Dominic Moore or Daniel Winnik. Those two were offensive players in college who learned to adjust their games in the pros. Not sexy but entirely possible. Sometimes the 1st round label harms these potential foot soldier types because they think they're destined for offensive stardom. And it's crazy what he's doing to himself. He could make himself into a player who will be paid $1 to $2 million per year for a decade.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I keep forgetting we have this guy. Goes to show the depth of the farm when guys like Rychel/Lindberg, fairly highly ranked prospects in their former organizations, often get forgotten.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I agree with this.

A player's parent is the worst possible hockey guy to judge his potential. A father loves his kid unconditionally and isn't able to be objective regarding his child's abilities and limitations.

His trade price was low in part due to an apparent unwillingness to accept his likely career trajectory. I get it, it's fun to be a scorer, it's also more lucrative. However he doesn't have to play like his dad to become a useful NHLer, he only has to play like someone like Dominic Moore or Daniel Winnik. Those two were offensive players in college who learned to adjust their games in the pros. Not sexy but entirely possible. Sometimes the 1st round label harms these potential foot soldier types because they think they're destined for offensive stardom. And it's crazy what he's doing to himself. He could make himself into a player who will be paid $1 to $2 million per year for a decade.

While I agree with all you've said, I also see the other side of the coin. I'm reminded of that speech Dubas gave on developing prospect to whatever their potential is and not pigeonholing them as a certain type of player. This is pretty standard in the nhl; pigeonholing.
Rychel Sr would have seen this happen throughout his career and perhaps did not want his son type casted without the chance to develop into something more?
Maybe Jr will only be a 3rd line grinder, but maybe the angst was the fact that CBJ were not giving him the right developmental tools and opportunities?

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
While I agree with all you've said, I also see the other side of the coin. I'm reminded of that speech Dubas gave on developing prospect to whatever their potential is and not pigeonholing them as a certain type of player. This is pretty standard in the nhl; pigeonholing.
Rychel Sr would have seen this happen throughout his career and perhaps did not want his son type casted without the chance to develop into something more?
Maybe Jr will only be a 3rd line grinder, but maybe the angst was the fact that CBJ were not giving him the right developmental tools and opportunities?

A player like Kerby Rychel was Kris Draper. He was treated like a good offensive prospect at first in Winnipeg then fell out of favour quickly there. He was traded for very little (a dollar I believe) to Detroit, went down to their minor league team played well then accepted a role as reliable 4th liner for 15 seasons. That's the type of upside a deal like this or the Hyman deal might have to the future of the Leafs.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Me too.
That was the Gauthier draft I think. Remember wanting either Rychel or Lazar with our pick and they both went a couple of picks ahead of us.

I wanted Rychel, Burakovsky, and Shinkaruk and did NOT want Gauthier because I didn't like his upside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad