Confirmed Trade: [TOR/CAR] Marleau, 2020 1st Rd. (Top 10 Prot.) & 2020 7th Rd. to CAR for 2020 6th Rd. [PART 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
IDK, I thought you all liked him pretty well.
I do like him. Not all Leaf fans do, but I do. I think Gardiner will be the next in a long line of Leaf dmen, going back 25 years, that gets bashed on Toronto, but goes on to be successful on another team.

Larry Murphy, Bryan McCabe, Pavel Kubina, etc.

But they can't afford him. It's been pretty clear for a while that he wasn't coming back.

Reactions: Devonator

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
With Marleau (a replacement level player) gone, Leafs only need to trade away 1 or 2 replacement level players (for positive or negligible value) in order to fit Marner + cheaper replacement level players in order to stay under the cap.

So basically status quo except expectation of Nylander for the whole season and Matthews for the whole season, and maybe a different waiver claim back-up, we're back where we were, or better with the kids coming back stronger. If you think we can't go deep right back where we were you're simply bias against the Leafs. Those who have anything tangible to gain out of believing the Leafs would go deeper have also indicated that is the case.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Math is my strength and I don't care about colour or color. Credibility issue? Move on kid

I too am Cdn and always use color and labor, i do use harbour though, probably because i grew up next to a town with harbour in its name.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Math is my strength and I don't care about colour or color. Credibility issue? Move on kid

Yeah, credibility. You got caught lying (lying because you thought it would strengthen your argument), which means anything you post is suspect and valueless.

You're even calling me a kid now because you know you f***ed up by not knowing proper english, or that the rest of the world uses it outside the states.

You should own it and just apologize, then we can argue again another day with this all forgotten.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yeah, credibility. You got caught lying (lying because you thought it would strengthen your argument), which means anything you post is suspect and valueless.

You're even calling me a kid now because you know you ****ed up by not knowing proper english, or that the rest of the world uses it outside the states.

You should own it and just apologize, then we can argue again another day with this all forgotten.

I'm not apologizing to your sensitivity comments and how you twisted it out of control. Sorry. It's time to move on now man ;)

Reactions: Devonator

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
So are Leaf fans pretty well resigned to having to trade Nylander at this point? Kinda looks like you have to, if you want to sign Marner/Kapanen/Johnsson all and still have enough cap space left for a d-man. Just trading Zaitsev doesn't give you enough room to work with and only 4 NHL d-men under contract.
doesn't make much sense to move nylander. We have seen what 60 pt players get now and I firmly believe william is at least a 60 pt player as his first two seasons would indicate. Would not surprise me if he hit 65-75 pts next year and that type of production at his cap hit would be sweet.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017

You're even calling me a kid now because you know you ****ed up by not knowing proper english, or that the rest of the world uses it outside the states.

To be fair, he's a Habs fan, and I can see someone who was a Canadian, but not with English as a first language, make that mistake.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Cotton

May 13, 2013
I'm not apologizing to your sensitivity comments and how you twisted it out of control. Sorry. It's time to move on now man ;)

Indeed, I cant stand liars, especially ones with yellow streaks preventing them from owning their f*** ups. I wont see your posts anymore, but hopefully enough Leafs fans have seen this that the next time you try talking shit you're reminded about it and shrugged off.

Reactions: Randy Randerson

Cotton

May 13, 2013
To be fair, he's a Habs fan, and I can see someone who was a Canadian, but not with English as a first language, make that mistake.

Half my family is from Shawinigan. It's no mistake.

He was lying to manipulate the situation to strength his point, it's a cowardly way to argue. And considering its alway trashing the Leafs I wanted to call him out. It's over now.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Indeed, I cant stand liars, especially ones with yellow streaks preventing them from owning their **** ups. I wont see your posts anymore, but hopefully enough Leafs fans have seen this that the next time you try talking **** you're reminded about it and shrugged off.

If you are going to put anyone with spelling or grammatical errors on ignore add me too. You will be hard pressed to find a post of mine without a spelling error.

Half my family is from Shawinigan. It's no mistake.

The fact that your family is from Shawinigan and can spell color has little or no bearing on the nationality of a poster or the price of tea in china. All of my family is from Qc and if you ask them to spell color you will get a 50/50 split between colour/color, well you might get a couple of coulors too. I remember a certain former PM from Shawinigan who may have made a grammatical error or 2 when speaking in English- or French for that matter.

Never seen anyone get so bent out of shape over how something is spelled. You may not be a kid, but its pretty easy to see why To legit called you one.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
You post in threads about Leafs players quite a bit. How about you show us a post where you've spoken positively about Marleau once while he was a Leaf ;)
Well there are a lot of Leafs related threads on the main boards so that is hard to avoid isn't it?

I will say this. Dubas needs to up his bluff game.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I tend to agree that the 1st won't have impact for a while. The issue becomes who else has to be moved out to fix the D and can't afford to bring anything back but futures. I would exercise caution on the late first terminology, remember when Kessel was going to be better than 2 late 1sts. Yeah this one is protected in 2020 but I could see a scenario where leafs miss playoffs in 2020 and pick gets deferred and then no more protection. Leafs are not a lock to make play-offs. Leafs made playoffs by 4 pts over mtl last year.

Mtl will be better this year, panthers especially if they get Bob and or Panarin will be better. Boston and Tampa will still be good. Not inconceivable that leafs miss. Philly Rangers devils and Sabres probably improve (bluejackets are only team likely to be significantly worse) There are no playoff locks in the East for 19-20.
It is only top 10 protected so if the leafs miss the playoffs by a few spots they still give up the first next year (assuming the pick doesnt win the lottery).

As to what to trade to fix the D I would suggest perhaps Kadri with a cheaper 3C coming in and then the leafs run a top heavy top 6 for a lot of ice time. However it is very hard to speculate without knowing what Marner's contract will be.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Well there are a lot of Leafs related threads on the main boards so that is hard to avoid isn't it?

I will say this. Dubas needs to up his bluff game.

You should know, your in every God Dam one of them....

Edit: And a bluff is used to induce an action, in this case, it was a way of saying we can keep him if need be, which much like bluffing in Poker (Lying that you have a good hand) we know wasn't true....so apparently, it worked?

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
So are Leaf fans pretty well resigned to having to trade Nylander at this point? Kinda looks like you have to, if you want to sign Marner/Kapanen/Johnsson all and still have enough cap space left for a d-man. Just trading Zaitsev doesn't give you enough room to work with and only 4 NHL d-men under contract.
I think Kadri goes for a top 4 D. And Dubas has already said if Zaitsev is traded, a NHL D needs to be coming back.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Just curious what leafs fans think a Zaitsev deal looks like if it’s going to bring back an nhl defenseman in addition to offloading his contract?
I don't have any idea. I think he starts the season here. I mean Dubas will lose any trade of Zaitsev, we'll get a worse player back...and can't take more salary back than 4.5. So unless we are adding to Z to get a better D with retention, i don't think he's traded.

Reactions: Cardiac Jerks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad