Confirmed Trade: [TOR/CAR] Marleau, 2020 1st Rd. (Top 10 Prot.) & 2020 7th Rd. to CAR for 2020 6th Rd. [PART 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I have yet to see any case that suggests he is one. Why disprove something with no basis to it? Should I also disprove that you aren't Santa Clause? Just in case?

You saying it because you don't like his opinion does suggest a bias, sadly it's yours.

Ask around if you don't believe me. He is a huge Hockey fan from Toronto who grew up in Toronto and he himself said he grew up as a Leafs fan. He works in the media and he has some responsibility to be unbiased. He might tell you he is no longer a Leafs fan but deep down, I think he still cheers for them.

You can get sensitive all you want. I do think Bob is a Leafs fan. There is nothing wrong with it IMO and I do respect Bob. However, his cap narrative reeked of Leafs optimistic forecasting

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I have yet to see any case that suggests he is one. Why disprove something with no basis to it? Should I also disprove that you aren't Santa Clause? Just in case?

You saying it because you don't like his opinion does suggest a bias, sadly it's yours.

Bob has been asked about this many times in the past. He grew up a Leafs fan but now with his role he doesn't root for any specific team. He's too much of a pro to show any bias on air but I am sure behind the scenes he still has fan attachment to them.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
dubas should be fired for even considering to not move Nylander but in the right deal i dont think dubas would have a problem moving him.

yeah, but what is the right deal? It would have to be a young RHD with years before UFA status, with potential to be first pairing.

Not too many of those around.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
So are Leaf fans pretty well resigned to having to trade Nylander at this point? Kinda looks like you have to, if you want to sign Marner/Kapanen/Johnsson all and still have enough cap space left for a d-man. Just trading Zaitsev doesn't give you enough room to work with and only 4 NHL d-men under contract.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Cap space might open up but you also have to give Anderson and Rielly raises. As well as Kapanen and Johnson if you give them short term deals. Ask the Blackhawks and Pens how important it is to insert grade A prospects on ELC to fill holes vs trying to fill those holes in trades or UFA?

I think the Leafs will be fine with goal scoring power and a top 10 PP but the depth and D will be tested.

Rielly doesn't get a raise for 3 fricken years, and Andersen 2 more.

Okay, I'll ask the blackhawks and Pens how important it is.... Because, the Hawks and Pens both spent an entire decade as elite teams. The salary cap eventually erodes elite teams, but it doesn't happen overnight like some seem to think.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Bob has been asked about this many times in the past. He grew up a Leafs fan but now with his role he doesn't root for any specific team. He's too much of a pro to show any bias on air but I am sure behind the scenes he still has fan attachment to them.

Yeah deep down maybe he likes the Leafs, who could blame him? :P
A man this professional though does not go on TV to cheer on the Leaf which is of course what the poster I quoted was suggesting.

I give him points for origionality though.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
I'm accusing Bob of being a Leafs fans and having his blue color glasses on when he revealed his 20 man $85M narrative on how it fits. And I respect Bob. But in this case, he was too optimistic. He is human after all

Wrong.

You're American, are you located in the states? Where I'm going with this is I catch bits of american hockey media online, which I find hilarious, but I'm only catching bits of it because my access is limited - so maybe there is quality there I'm not getting. Sounds like maybe you are getting the same thing in reverse because BobbyMac is known far and wide as being the most respected and unbiased insider in hockey, and if you actually follow him you'll pick up tid-bits about his life, one of which is that he isn't a Leafs fan.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Rielly doesn't get a raise for 3 fricken years, and Andersen 2 more.

Okay, I'll ask the blackhawks and Pens how important it is.... Because, the Hawks and Pens both spent an entire decade as elite teams. The salary cap eventually erodes elite teams, but it doesn't happen overnight like some seem to think.

Blackhawks and Pens won cups before they got into cap hell.

Rielly and Anderson will need substantial raises if the cap goes up and they continue to do what they have been doing. What, do you think the cap is going to go up and Rielly and Anderson don't ask for % of the cap like Matthews, Nylander and Marner will get? Think about the inflation increase on the contracts you could of given them 12 months ago? That was just one year of inflation man

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
So are Leaf fans pretty well resigned to having to trade Nylander at this point? Kinda looks like you have to, if you want to sign Marner/Kapanen/Johnsson all and still have enough cap space left for a d-man. Just trading Zaitsev doesn't give you enough room to work with and only 4 NHL d-men under contract.

It absolutely does give enough room.

They currently have almost $19M with Horton on LTIR. Zaitsev traded would make it $23M in space to Marner (11?), Kap and Johnsson (soundling like $7M together). Rosen and Sandin/Liljegren ($2M), and one more. Hainsey brought back for $1M? Still leaves $2M in space. Maybe Tyler Ennis for $1M gets signed too?

Cotton

May 13, 2013

He grew up that way until Bobby Orr happened.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Wrong.

You're American, are you located in the states? Where I'm going with this is I catch bits of american hockey media online, which I find hilarious, but I'm only catching bits of it because my access is limited - so maybe there is quality there I'm not getting. Sounds like maybe you are getting the same thing in reverse because BobbyMac is known far and wide as being the most respected and unbiased insider in hockey, and if you actually follow him you'll pick up tid-bits about his life, one of which is that he isn't a Leafs fan.

I am Canadian. Nice try. Bob grew up in Toronto and loved hockey. Do you think he cheered for the Habs or something? :laugh:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

As a member of the media, he has not choice but to try to be neutral. I agree, behind the scenes, he still has a fan attachment to them. If I was him, I would too and I don't blame him.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
What an awful deal that Marleau contract was. Just like everybody said it would be. Toronto has been throwing money and picks at it's problems for forever now, why should that change with Dubas? The worst part is that this cap space isn't even freed up to help improve the team, it's mostly just to keep the team together. The team that still has yet to win anything and is about to be paying three players >30 million dollars.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
I am Canadian. Nice try. Bob grew up in Toronto and loved hockey. Do you think he cheered for the Habs or something? :laugh:

You're Canadian.... but you use the word Color? :laugh:

Mackenzie has said on overdrive, he was a Leafs fan as a boy until he saw Bobby Orr play.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You're Canadian.... but you use the word Color? :laugh:

Mackenzie has said on overdrive, he was a Leafs fan as a boy until he saw Bobby Orr play.

I wonder why Bob Mackenzie didn't reveal a Habs cap narrative and how Duchene fits yet? :sarcasm:

And you should drop the US vs Canadian narrative. The way you are acting, you are the reason why I think some Leafs fans are way too sensitive. Not all of them cause I have had very good conversations with various Leafs fans.

NextYear67

Averaging over a like per post
Mar 2, 2018
GTA
Wouldn't count on it

Cotton

May 13, 2013
I wonder why Bob Mackenzie didn't reveal a Habs cap narrative and how Duchene fits yet? :sarcasm:

No, no... address the Color thing first, lol.

That's a pretty big Woopsie to use Color multiple times when nobody learns that in school outside the states. This is a question of credibility now.

Fyi, we use Colour.

Reactions: Kallio

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
It absolutely does give enough room.

They currently have almost $19M with Horton on LTIR. Zaitsev traded would make it $23M in space to Marner (11?), Kap and Johnsson (soundling like $7M together). Rosen and Sandin/Liljegren ($2M), and one more. Hainsey brought back for $1M? Still leaves $2M in space. Maybe Tyler Ennis for $1M gets signed too?

So no Gardiner then?

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Avatar logo aside, as most canes fans can attest. You have a dog in this fight, and it's colour is blue and white. I have never bashed Marleau. He is what I expected him to be. A limited 5 v 5 scorer, that could produce on the PP. I would like to see quotes of me bashing him, can you back this up?

You post in threads about Leafs players quite a bit. How about you show us a post where you've spoken positively about Marleau once while he was a Leaf ;)

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
A late 1st that likely wont see the NHL for like 3 seasons will not help more than a young 2nd line player with potential like Kap or AJ.

The leafs need to try to win something in the next 5 years, trading a future for next year draft vs a proven NHL player wouldnt have been wise. Especially with AJ/Kap reportedly agreeing to fair contracts that likely become steals in the last half of the contract.

I tend to agree that the 1st won't have impact for a while. The issue becomes who else has to be moved out to fix the D and can't afford to bring anything back but futures. I would exercise caution on the late first terminology, remember when Kessel was going to be better than 2 late 1sts. Yeah this one is protected in 2020 but I could see a scenario where leafs miss playoffs in 2020 and pick gets deferred and then no more protection. Leafs are not a lock to make play-offs. Leafs made playoffs by 4 pts over mtl last year.

Mtl will be better this year, panthers especially if they get Bob and or Panarin will be better. Boston and Tampa will still be good. Not inconceivable that leafs miss. Philly Rangers devils and Sabres probably improve (bluejackets are only team likely to be significantly worse) There are no playoff locks in the East for 19-20.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
No, no... address the Color thing first, lol.

That's a pretty big Woopsie to use Color multiple times when nobody learns that in school outside the states. This is a question of credibility now.

Fyi, we use Colour.
I’ve always known TooLegit to be a Canadian and Hans fan in all my interactions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad