Proposal: Tor-Ana

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Toronto fans shouldn’t worry about trading Nylander there are other ways to get Pietrangelo without involving Anaheim in Toronto’s affairs.
I’m talking about trading Johnsson, Kerfoot and Hyman. I know who’s going to play offense well here it is just so we don’t have to keep seeing these pesky annoying Nylander trade threads everyday wasting our time and space on HF’s server.

Line 1 LW Mikheyev RS 2.5 mil C Matthews RW Nylander
Line 2 LW Robertson C Tavares RW Marner
Line 3 LW Engvall C Player making 950k RW Player making 950k
Line 4 LW Player making 850k C Brooks RW Player making 950k
Players making 950k,950k,950k and 850k could be from Hyman, Johnsson and Kerfoot trades or from Toronto’s farm system.

1st Pair LD Rielly RD Pietrangelo Signed 10mil
2nd Pair LD Muzzin RD Holl
3rd Pair LD Sandin RD Dermott RS 900k

Goalies:
Starter: Andersen
Backup: Campbell

Scratches:
C Gauthier

All other UFA’s or RFA’s let walk
If anyone gets hurt it’s LTIR and recall the next prospect from minors.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Toronto fans shouldn’t worry about trading Nylander there are other ways to get Pietrangelo without involving Anaheim in Toronto’s affairs.
I’m talking about trading Johnsson, Kerfoot and Hyman. I know who’s going to play offense well here it is just so we don’t have to keep seeing these pesky annoying Nylander trade threads everyday wasting our time and space on HF’s server.

Line 1 LW Mikheyev RS 2.5 mil C Matthews RW Nylander
Line 2 LW Robertson C Tavares RW Marner
Line 3 LW Engvall C Player making 950k RW Player making 950k
Line 4 LW Player making 850k C Brooks RW Player making 950k
Players making 950k,950k,950k and 850k could be from Hyman, Johnsson and Kerfoot trades or from Toronto’s farm system.

1st Pair LD Rielly RD Pietrangelo Signed 10mil
2nd Pair LD Muzzin RD Holl
3rd Pair LD Sandin RD Dermott RS 900k

Goalies:
Starter: Andersen
Backup: Campbell

Scratches:
C Gauthier

All other UFA’s or RFA’s let walk
If anyone gets hurt it’s LTIR and recall the next prospect from minors.

That's the lineup you think will put you over the edge? Also that's the softest team I may have ever seen in my life. Teams would love to play that team in a 7 game series.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Which I’m sure are the exact concerns with Manson from a Leafs perspective, although Manson has had two sub par years in a row. Nylander has a hell of a lot less risk than Manson at this point.

If you're looking at Manson's 37 point season and calling the last 2 a down year, that one year was an anomaly (I think most Ducks fans even said it at the time). He'd likely be a 15-20 point, DEFENSIVE d-man on a good team. If you look at his zone starts, he only starts about 1/3 of the time in the offensive zone on one of the worst offensive teams in the league. He also tends to play against the other team's top lines on a team that doesn't have a top line. Put him on a team that has good players and ask him to play solid defense, hit guys, and stand up for teammates (like when the Ducks were good), and he can do that. He was the #2 d-man on a team that went to the conference finals. Now if you're looking at that 37 point season and expecting a d-man that puts up 35-40 points, you might want to look elsewhere... that's not going to be Manson.

Reactions: meefer and Dmang714

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
That's the lineup you think will put you over the edge? Also that's the softest team I may have ever seen in my life. Teams would love to play that team in a 7 game series.
Not a Leafs fan just putting it out there that it’s going to be hard to sign Pietrangelo.

Nylander is close to being a top 10 RWer but why is everyone that is a leafs fan trying to trade Nylander when according to Leafs fans he’s a great player in the top 6, I don’t get it.

Also was making light of the 5 different Nylander trade threads.

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
Anaheim has no use for a soft overpaid 2nd line winger who disappears in the playoffs due to fear of a more physical game.

I can understand not being on board with the OP, but calling Nylander a 2nd liner is just flat out nonsense. It's not even debateable that he's a 1st liner at this point whether you like his game or not. Not all 1st line wingers are at Panarin's level.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
UFA in 2 years vs 4 for Nylander. He's not worth more.

However Manson is a D-man and Nylander's a Winger. Sure Willy's better but because of a position it makes it a bit closer.

I’m talking about trading Johnsson, Kerfoot and Hyman.

Habs'll give you a 3rd and a 4th for Hyman and eat all of his cap hit. Just wanna help out you guys.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Tor
J. Manson
S.Steel
1st (27)

Ana
W. Nylander

no-gif-baby-duck-saying-no-duckling-falling-asleep.gif

Reactions: Rec T

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
This board is so ridiculous. I swear, Manson is the most overrated player on this board and Nylander the most underrated

Seriously, if he's so overrated, why are there constantly threads where Toronto wants to trade for him? IMO that's what's ridiculous.

Its pretty obvious that the Ducks (and most Ducks fans) aren't actively looking to trade him. Actual NHL execs are giving out quotes like " “your wife doesn’t love you as much as the Ducks love Josh Manson.” And yet the boards are flooded with Leaf fans willing to take him off our hands for scraps because he's so bad.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
leafs pass. steel and pick 27 dont do much for them.

no need to give up Nylander for Manson when there are a lot of good dmen available in UFA

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Nothing going to the Ducks even hints at that.

cant argue with someone who thinks Nylander is a noshow in the playoffs.

leafs 3rd best forward after Matthews and JT this year. 2g/4pts in 5 games
50pt pace over his playoff career.

Nylander would step right in as the best forward on that dump of a team. unless it Nylander for Manson + pick 6 no thanks

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
leafs pass. steel and pick 27 dont do much for them.

no need to give up Nylander for Manson when there are a lot of good dmen available in UFA

I think this is a reasonable take. I think you could also say that Nylander might bring back a guy like Dumba if you prefer him over Manson - Dumba being the better player with a higher salary.

Beyond that, what top 4 UFA dmen do you think you can sign that fit your team's salary cap constraints (short term and beyond)?

Toronto has 3 major problems, as I see it: (i) unbalanced roster with too much $$ in the forwards and a weak (i.e., not cup caliber) defense with not much money available to upgrade; (ii) goaltending - even if you keep Andersen, what is the long term solution; and (iii) a soft roster, lacking in grit, that has wilted in the playoffs.

Curious how you solve those problems in your current cup window (1-3 years) without trading on of the 4 big money forwards? Lots of smaller holes to plug on the roster and I assume they'll try to address the grit issue in the way that TB did last offseason (adding affordable players like Maroon and Goodrow). The roster is flawed and needs multiple new pieces - what is the pathway to doing that while keeping 4 forwards earning $40M?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
cant argue with someone who thinks Nylander is a noshow in the playoffs.

leafs 3rd best forward after Matthews and JT this year. 2g/4pts in 5 games
50pt pace over his playoff career.

Nylander would step right in as the best forward on that dump of a team. unless it Nylander for Manson + pick 6 no thanks
Leafs haven’t made round 2 since what 2003.... shouldn’t throw rocks living in a glass house.

We all know we’re not moving Manson + 6th for nylander, it makes no sense for Anaheim and where we are at the 6th is more valuable to us ... and Manson+ anything else for nylander really doesn’t make sense for Toronto.

if Manson is moved to Toronto I imagine it would be something around the 15 or liljegren + 2nd. But at this point I don’t see a trade between the 2 teams working out very well, leafs want to buy low on Manson, ducks have no interest in selling low on Manson, as he is a favorite amongst the org.

I think a common misconceptions on Manson is that he’s playing bad cause his point totals are pushing 40, but really that 37 point season was an outlier.... if that’s what your expecting from Manson your looking at the wrong dmen. He’s a tough guy to play against that can play on any pairing, and a good skater that can compliment a guy like rielly or lindholm nicely. He can play in the corners/ and clear the net while also defending your skilled players... he’s a leader that will drop the gloves when needed. Never are you gunna see a duck fan claim he’s a 35 point guy because realistically he isn’t.... he might score more playing on a better offensive team, as Anaheim is a black hole offensively right now.

of course his defensive stats are going to go down.... Anaheim was not good at playing in offensive zone, the ducks had a ton of injuries on the blue line and Manson and even lindholm stats took a bit of a beating because of the time spent in their own end and lack of pressure offensively from our forwards. There was nights where we legit iced Manson hakanpaa guhle larsson mdz holzer ....

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Leafs haven’t made round 2 since what 2003.... shouldn’t throw rocks living in a glass house.

We all know we’re not moving Manson + 6th for nylander, it makes no sense for Anaheim and where we are at the 6th is more valuable to us ... and Manson+ anything else for nylander really doesn’t make sense for Toronto.

if Manson is moved to Toronto I imagine it would be something around the 15 or liljegren + 2nd. But at this point I don’t see a trade between the 2 teams working out very well, leafs want to buy low on Manson, ducks have no interest in selling low on Manson, as he is a favorite amongst the org.

I think a common misconceptions on Manson is that he’s playing bad cause his point totals are pushing 40, but really that 37 point season was an outlier.... if that’s what your expecting from Manson your looking at the wrong dmen. He’s a tough guy to play against that can play on any pairing, and a good skater that can compliment a guy like rielly or lindholm nicely. He can play in the corners/ and clear the net while also defending your skilled players... he’s a leader that will drop the gloves when needed. Never are you gunna see a duck fan claim he’s a 35 point guy because realistically he isn’t.... he might score more playing on a better offensive team, as Anaheim is a black hole offensively right now.

of course his defensive stats are going to go down.... Anaheim was not good at playing in offensive zone, the ducks had a ton of injuries on the blue line and Manson and even lindholm stats took a bit of a beating because of the time spent in their own end and lack of pressure offensively from our forwards. There was nights where we legit iced Manson hakanpaa guhle larsson mdz holzer ....
Huh? So because the Leafs haven't been to the second round since 2004 ( not 2003) Leaf fans can't have opinions?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Huh? So because the Leafs haven't been to the second round since 2004 ( not 2003) Leaf fans can't have opinions?
No when he calls the ducks a dump of a team... when you guys haven’t done anything impressive since 03. He’s welcome to opinions, but talkin down on a team that has been way more successful than the leafs is dumb, just cause you didn’t like the offer made.

actually I quoted the wrong person, the first sentence was meant for someone else, I don’t mind talking with halla we have had reasonable debates in the past.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
Seriously, if he's so overrated, why are there constantly threads where Toronto wants to trade for him? IMO that's what's ridiculous.

Its pretty obvious that the Ducks (and most Ducks fans) aren't actively looking to trade him. Actual NHL execs are giving out quotes like " “your wife doesn’t love you as much as the Ducks love Josh Manson.” And yet the boards are flooded with Leaf fans willing to take him off our hands for scraps because he's so bad.
Because he's overrated

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
No when he calls the ducks a dump of a team... when you guys haven’t done anything impressive since 03. He’s welcome to opinions, but talkin down on a team that has been way more successful than the leafs is dumb, just cause you didn’t like the offer made.

actually I quoted the wrong person, the first sentence was meant for someone else, I don’t mind talking with halla we have had reasonable debates in the past.
Yeah, criticizing other teams is pathetic. I thought you were suggesting that his opinions would be invalid generally.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Yeah, criticizing other teams is pathetic. I thought you were suggesting that his opinions would be invalid generally.
Nah I actually like halla lol, it was a diff post that was supposed to be quoted before his... where they were referring to the ducks being garbage, which admittedly they haven’t been great last 2 years.... but as leafs fans know, a contender isn’t built in 1 offseason.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Nah I actually like halla lol, it was a diff post that was supposed to be quoted before his... where they were referring to the ducks being garbage, which admittedly they haven’t been great last 2 years.... but as leafs fans know, a contender isn’t built in 1 offseason.
I meant generally.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Tor
J. Manson
S.Steel
1st (27)

Ana
W. Nylander

I don't understand the context of doing this trade. If they're signing AP, they don't really need Manson and will be happy with Justin Holl / Travis Dermott platooning between their top 4.

If they're not signing AP, they do not need to clear cap space for a defenceman -- and I beleive can obtain Manson with lesser pieces.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
I don't understand the context of doing this trade. If they're signing AP, they don't really need Manson and will be happy with Justin Holl / Travis Dermott platooning between their top 4.

If they're not signing AP, they do not need to clear cap space for a defenceman -- and I beleive can obtain Manson with lesser pieces.
I think the premise here is that they aren't signing AP. If that's the case though, how about Johnsson for Kesler and the 27 OA?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I think the premise here is that they aren't signing AP. If that's the case though, how about Johnsson for Kesler and the 27 OA?

Easy pass. Not giving up a late 1st for a middle sixer who isn't going to move the needle. Kesler stays on LTIR with an insured contract so he's barely costing the Ducks much at all. Getting that pick for Kase + taking on Backes, and then flipping it in this deal is a lateral move at best and doesn't fit the Ducks direction.

Reactions: duckpuck

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

How about no?

Even if Kesler is done, no reason for the Leafs to put themselves back into the LTIR-hell they've been in for the past however many years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad