Proposal: Tor-Ana

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
Easy pass. Not giving up a late 1st for a middle sixer who isn't going to move the needle. Kesler stays on LTIR with an insured contract so he's barely costing the Ducks much at all. Getting that pick for Kase + taking on Backes, and then flipping it in this deal is a lateral move at best and doesn't fit the Ducks direction.
I think with no teams making gate revenue for the time being, owners are going to want to pinch every penny possible. I'm sure there's potential for a deal for Johnsson that can include that ltir contract though

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
How about no?

Even if Kesler is done, no reason for the Leafs to put themselves back into the LTIR-hell they've been in for the past however many years.
If they want to sign AP, that's their best option is to have ltir contracts to allow them to go over the cap

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I think with no teams making gate revenue for the time being, owners are going to want to pinch every penny possible. I'm sure there's potential for a deal for Johnsson that can include that ltir contract though

You're asking the tighter budget/rebuilding team to take on more money (in the form of a player they really don't need) and give up an early pick. There's no fit there at all.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
You're asking the tighter budget/rebuilding team to take on more money (in the form of a player they really don't need) and give up an early pick. There's no fit there at all.
Not sure how much of Ryan Kesler's contract is coming out of Anaheim's pocket, but whatever it is, is money wasted vs a player you'll actually get production out of. Over valuing a late first aside, let's just throw the first out of that proposal. You're telling me the owners wouldn't want to rid a contract that's equivalent of lighting money on fire?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Not sure how much of Ryan Kesler's contract is coming out of Anaheim's pocket, but whatever it is, is money wasted vs a player you'll actually get production out of. Over valuing a late first aside, let's just throw the first out of that proposal. You're telling me the owners wouldn't want to rid a contract that's equivalent of lighting money on fire?

Johnsson does nothing for us. He may be a marginal upgrade at a time where we aren't focused on contending, but we already have younger cheaper options to fill out the top 9.

Kesler + whichever young player would have been bumped from the lineup still cost us significantly less than Johnsson in terms of dollars, and don't cost us any assets. Do you suppose a rebuilding with a tight budget would rather save money and hold onto it's early picks rather than spending more on a player who does nothing to improve their future fortunes?

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA

Ducks would need to pay about $1.3 mil of Kesler's contract. Add in the rookie contract that will be taking his spot, it'll be about $2 mil that they are paying. So it's like paying one of the young guys who are marginally worse (right now) about $1-$1.5 mil less than Johnsson and letting the kids develop. And doesn't Johnsson also have injury issues?

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

It's less than 1.4M per year that Kesler is costing Anaheim, if that helps clarify why your premise makes no sense

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Not a Leafs fan just putting it out there that it’s going to be hard to sign Pietrangelo.

Nylander is close to being a top 10 RWer but why is everyone that is a leafs fan trying to trade Nylander when according to Leafs fans he’s a great player in the top 6, I don’t get it.

Also was making light of the 5 different Nylander trade threads.
It’s not really all that hard to figure out why they would want to trade him. It’s either Nylander or Marner gets traded for cap space and Marners a hometown boy.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
Ducks would need to pay about $1.3 mil of Kesler's contract. Add in the rookie contract that will be taking his spot, it'll be about $2 mil that they are paying. So it's like paying one of the young guys who are marginally worse (right now) about $1-$1.5 mil less than Johnsson and letting the kids develop. And doesn't Johnsson also have injury issues?
He had knee surgery last year but he's fully recovered and will be ready to go next season

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Okay, sure forget Johnsson. What about Justin Holl for Kesler?

Trading Holl or Johnsson to another team for a late pick might be a better move. Kesler isn't hampering the Ducks at all. Djoos is likely the #3 LHD, he looked promising in his short stint in Anaheim and I'm guessing the Ducks want to see what they have in him, and Larsson/Mahura/Guhle also competing for that spot if he falters. They may not be as good, but they are younger and the Ducks need young guys to earn spots and hopefully break out.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
Trading Holl or Johnsson to another team for a late pick might be a better move. Kesler isn't hampering the Ducks at all. Djoos is likely the #3 LHD, he looked promising in his short stint in Anaheim and I'm guessing the Ducks want to see what they have in him, and Larsson/Mahura/Guhle also competing for that spot if he falters. They may not be as good, but they are younger and the Ducks need young guys to earn spots and hopefully break out.
Holl is a RHD

the Chad Kilger

Apr 30, 2020

did I miss something here, why the heck would the leafs trade Holl, our only rhd who has been solid for us, for an ltir contract? even if we add a rhd in free agency makes no sense

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
did I miss something here, why the heck would the leafs trade Holl, our only rhd who has been solid for us, for an ltir contract? even if we add a rhd in free agency makes no sense
This is under the premise that the Leafs sign pie. You trade Holl, sign Dermot to a bridge contract worth less than Holl's cap hit and go with AP, liljgren and Dermot on the right side

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Name them

After the top 4 (Lindholm, Fowler, Manson, Gudbranson), Anaheim has Djoos, Larsson, Guhle, Curran, Hakanpaa who all are not waiver exempt, plus Mahura who should see some NHL time and Benoit possibly getting his feet wet. Really no need to add a bottom pairing D who is more expensive and risk losing an extra guy to waivers.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
After the top 4 (Lindholm, Fowler, Manson, Gudbranson), Anaheim has Djoos, Larsson, Guhle, Curran, Hakanpaa who all are not waiver exempt, plus Mahura who should see some NHL time and Benoit possibly getting his feet wet. Really no need to add a bottom pairing D who is more expensive and risk losing an extra guy to waivers.
So you just named a bunch of LHD... Where are these RHD?

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

Why would the Leafs trade a 28 year old top 4 defenceman, signed for 3 years at $2m; for a guy who in the best case ends up on LTIR, or in a worst-case, occupies close to $7m in cap space?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad