Top UFA Targets for the Habs

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Stastny is the player the Habs are interested in and so they should be or pack it in.:nod:

Although I don't mind the idea of Galchenyuk-Stastny as our top 2 centres in 3 years, Igilna fills a much more glaring need. Bergy should bring in Moore and move Plekanec too.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Right, and that's because you need cap space, you don't do it because you absolutely need to have this stay at home D. Good puck movers can also block shots and clear the crease, as well as win board battles, win races, etc..

not if we're talking Ehrhoff or Niskanen though...

guys who can do all this cost you Markov salary.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Not that I have no confidence in Bergevin....but just have the feeling that the "fun" will be elsewhere come July 1st. Can't wait to see if no news is good news. Or if no news is....no news.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
...and as I've explained to you, multiple times, your "explanation" is crap...garbage...dung...look at the last, oh Hell, let's say 5 Stanley Cup winners...look at their D...LA - geez, they have a good balance of Puck-Movers and stay-at-home defensive guys...Chicago - wow, they're pretty much the same; good mix of movers like Keith & Nik Hjall and steadfast guys like Seabrook & Oduya...Boston - wow, same thing...Pittsburg - wow, they had the same...Detroit - well, powder my cheeks and call me Rosey, they were also the same...funny how that is, eh??...:shakehead

You are absolutely wrong and clearly do not understand what the previous poster is saying. This is further high-lighted by your inclusion of Chicago. All 6 of their d-men are PMD's despite your weak attempt to exclude Oduya and Seabrook. Being defensively biased or physical are not traits that are mutually exclusive with the term PMD. A PMD is a d-man who is adept at moving the puck towards the offensive zone through either passing effectively to teammates or skating it out himself. If a d-man's M.O. is to bank the puck out off of the boards/glass and prefers to chip it over to his partner instead of skating it out himself then this would be an example of a non PMD and most likely a SAHD......

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
You are absolutely wrong and clearly do not understand what the previous poster is saying. This is further high-lighted by your inclusion of Chicago. All 6 of their d-men are PMD's despite your weak attempt to exclude Oduya and Seabrook. Being defensively biased or physical are not traits that are mutually exclusive with the term PMD. A PMD is a d-man who is adept at moving the puck towards the offensive zone through either passing effectively to teammates or skating it out himself. If a d-man's M.O. is to bank the puck out off of the boards/glass and prefers to chip it over to his partner instead of skating it out himself then this would be an example of a non PMD and most likely a SAHD......

for some reason, I have a hard time thinking a guy like Oduya would make a decent PMD if he were to play in the Habs "system".

t0ny

Apr 8, 2008
Not that I have no confidence in Bergevin....but just have the feeling that the "fun" will be elsewhere come July 1st. Can't wait to see if no news is good news. Or if no news is....no news.

If fun translates into "big shunk of ludicrous money" ala Vanek which tied up your cap then no fun pls :)
Stastny would be fun though... not at any price :naughty:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
If fun translates into "big shunk of ludicrous money" ala Vanek which tied up your cap then no fun pls :)
Stastny would be fun though... not at any price :naughty:

I know, reason why I wrote "fun" that way. So there's good fun and bad fun. We'll see who does what.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
for some reason, I have a hard time thinking a guy like Oduya would make a decent PMD if he were to play in the Habs "system".

Oduya is an outstanding skater and a very smart player with a very good transition game. The Hawks are built 100% around puck possession and employ 6 regular PMD's in order to achieve this goal.

I have no clue what you mean with your hypothetical scenario in Montreal???? Did you happen to watch him with Sweden in the Olympics.........he is a PMD end of discussion. You don't require gawdy offensive stats to be a PMD. It is a skill unto itself that can only be determined by actualy watching the plyer play. On the other side of the spectrum, players like Souray and Garrisson are/were not PMD's despite their stats as they are poor skaters who have trouble in the transition game but are dangerous in the offensive zone solely due to their respective shots (Dave Manson would also be a great example).

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I know, reason why I wrote "fun" that way. So there's good fun and bad fun. We'll see who does what.

Sometimes bad fun can be good fun:naughty:.........like inception, fun within fun....

That being said, I would rather not hear of any Hab related news on that front. Don't need Bergevin channeling his inner Bill Clinton lol

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Oduya is an outstanding skater and a very smart player with a very good transition game. The Hawks are built 100% around puck possession and employ 6 regular PMD's in order to achieve this goal.

I have no clue what you mean with your hypothetical scenario in Montreal???? Did you happen to watch him with Sweden in the Olympics.........he is a PMD end of discussion. You don't require gawdy offensive stats to be a PMD. It is a skill unto itself that can only be determined by actualy watching the plyer play. On the other side of the spectrum, players like Souray and Garrisson are/were not PMD's despite their stats as they are poor skaters who have trouble in the transition game but are dangerous in the offensive zone solely due to their respective shots (Dave Manson would also be a great example).

missed the point.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
enlighten me then

system.

when you can't get out of the zone clearly, with Subban, Markov and Beaulieu who are all good PMD, Weaver who's ok for a bottom pairing guy, even Cube who can make short first passes (nothing else though), and you see that no matter who's D is on the ice we always end up dumping (if you watched the PO' that's what happened, we feasted on inexperienced TB ans BOS D corp, and then, pouet) along the board... I doubt it's a player issue (not saying we cannot improve though, we always can).

Canadian_Brewtality

Feb 16, 2005
If you look back at Bergy's FA history, its kinda meh.

His most significant signing was Prust. Besides that he made depth signings ala Murray, Armstrong, on short deals. Then he did the Briere signing which was bad at best.

He has consistently said he isnt gonna be a player on the market, although i think he should.

Personally, i would do what I could to sign Erhoff and Moulson.

Let Gio go. Try to trade White, Briere & Moen.

if that works, try to sign Ott.

But we will probably see a 1 yr Robidas deal.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004

Fact of the matter is that the roster is incomplete. Something is bound to happen to at least get us some wingers. Whether it's a trade or a signing. And I have to think something will be done to improve our blueline.

Corncob

Feb 10, 2011
If you look back at Bergy's FA history, its kinda meh.

His most significant signing was Prust. Besides that he made depth signings ala Murray, Armstrong, on short deals. Then he did the Briere signing which was bad at best.

He has consistently said he isnt gonna be a player on the market, although i think he should.

Good. Recent history suggests that playing at the top end of the free agent market ends in tears.

Remember this time last year when most of this board were saying 'if I was Bergevin I would sign Clarkson and Clowe'. Yeah, that would have been amazing. Who should Bergevin have offered more money than they got? Lecavalier?

Personally, i would do what I could to sign Erhoff and Moulson.

But would you really do what you could or are you going to do what most people do and follow up with an offer that they would laugh at. Give us an idea of the dollars/term that you would offer each of them so we can see if you're actually serious.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
We have big holes at RW and I think we should target:

for top 6 duties: Iginla, Setoguchi, Hemsky
bottom 6 duties: Moss, Stempniak, Jones

I have a feeling we will use Gorges and other pieces to acquire a RW no one has even considered.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
So the Habs are in the top 5 teams Dan Boyle might sign with. Interesting but I don't think he'll sign here. If he does though I guess there is a reason Gorges is in trade talks right now.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
I would rather that we trade Gorges for Lupul and go get Erhoff.

I think the addition of those two players would be really beneficial for the habs.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00