Top UFA Targets for the Habs

SerialSeb

Sep 1, 2005
Where hockey lives!
Hi Everyone,

Here is my list of top UFA's I would like the Habs to target, What is yours?

Matt Niskanen
Age on July 1: 27
Team: Pittsburgh Penguins
Position: Defence
2013-14 cap hit: $2.3 million

Why? Because we need a guy that can be paired with PK (Yes I know they are both Righties) and take big minutes or at least give us a solid second pairing that is as dangerous as the first.

Andrei Markov
Age on July 1: 35
Team: Montreal Canadiens
Position: Defence
2013-14 cap hit: $5.75 million

Why? For sentimental reasons a bit but technically he can be a great mentor to Beaulieu and Tinordi. And he can still help on the second or third pair, we just need to shave is ice time a bit to manage is energy level better.

Ryan Callahan
Age on July 1: 29
Team: Tampa Bay Lightning
Position: Right wing
2013-14 cap hit: $4.275 million

Why? Grit, Leadership and decent offence.

Paul Stastny
Age on July 1: 28
Team: Colorado Avalanche
Position: Centre
2013-14 cap hit: $6.6 million

Why? Really... Big talented centre and all that

Thomas Vanek
Age on July 1: 30
Team: Montreal Canadiens
Position: Left wing
2013-14 cap hit: $7.14 million

Why? Ya he may have not been all that in the playoffs but his 40~ goals will get you to the playoffs

Now I'm not saying sign them all but these are the ones that would best help our team.

Cheers!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
1. Niskanen
2. Stastny

Sign'em up, please.

We have more than enough vets on D to mentor. Niskanen is a top target, will allow us to move on from the Markov era.

SeriousHabs

Oct 25, 2011
Montreal
As the biggest name centre in the UFA market, Stastny will cost infinity years with an infinity cap hit. Sure, we can try, but he will get Vanek-like money.

double5son10

Jan 20, 2011
Denver
I'd like to have Markov back for sentimental reasons, but it all depends on term. If he wants 3+ yrs. it's time to walk away. If that's the case they should go hard for Niskanen.

Em Ancien

Sexy 2nd Rounder
Mar 12, 2008
Mount Real Life
On D, probably Nikita Nikitin. Most of the other options look like future overpriced complementary players. Don't really need to get ourselves a big price player when we have 2 promising defensemen coming in. Adding size and some puck movement in a guy that's coming off a decent season, who has also shown he can be more, seems like a better investment. Obviously we're re-signing Markov.

On offense, Setoguchi, Kulemin and Michalek look like good fits and 2 of them shouldn't cost much more than Gionta's current paycheck. All 3 to cover both Gionta's and Vanek's departures sounds like a decent short to mid-term solution with possible steals. Realistically, I think Bergevin signs one and Gionta, with Vanek leaving for another team.

SakuSauce

Drive for 25
Dec 2, 2006
Montréal
If we don't include our UFAs...here's my list of players that could help our team (in order) by positions :

D
Niskanen (RD)
Stralman (RD)
Orpik
Nikitin
Fayne (RD)
Greene (RD)
Klesla

LW
Raymond
Moulson
Jokinen

C
Stastny
Boyle
Moore
McClemment

RW
Iginla
Gaborik
Vrbata
Setoguchi
Kulemin
Downie

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Callahan would be awesome with Pleks, IMO.

Pacioretty-Eller-Gallagher
Bournival-Plekanec-Callahan
Galchenyuk-Desharnais-Bourque
Prust-Briere-Weise

Apr 28, 2010
If we don't include our UFAs...here's my list of players that could help our team (in order) by positions :

D
Niskanen (RD)
Stralman (RD)
Orpik
Nikitin
Fayne (RD)
Greene (RD)
Klesla

LW
Raymond
Moulson
Jokinen

C
Stastny
Boyle
Moore
McClemment

RW
Iginla
Gaborik
Vrbata
Setoguchi
Kulemin
Downie

Thank you for the list. :yo:

Anyway, I think the team is only focused on 2 things:

1. Resigning PK Subban (8 years) and Andrei Markov (2 years).

2. Signing one RW to replace Gionta (or 2 RWs if Vanek doesn't resign). I would sign Vrbata to play with Plekanec/Chuckie and Downie with Eller/Bourque or Bournival.

And that's about it. Team doesn't need/isn't going after another top line center. Desharnais and Briere will still be here whether we like it or not.

What I know for sure next year:

- No more Bouillon, Parros, Murray and Weaver.

- Budaj will still be the backup. Tokarski is going back to Hamilton.

NLHabsFan

Nov 18, 2008
Alberta

D
Niskanen (RD)
Stralman (RD)
Orpik
Nikitin
Fayne (RD)
Greene (RD)
Klesla

LW
Raymond
Moulson
Jokinen

C
Stastny
Boyle
Moore
McClemment

RW
Iginla
Gaborik
Vrbata
Setoguchi
Kulemin
Downie

I would add Gilbert to the RD list and Malhotra to the C list. He is my preferred 4th C this offseason, especially if we keep Briere. Malhotra is still one of the best faceoff men in the league and plays the PK. After his previous injury scare, I believe he proved this year that he can still play in the league.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

D
Niskanen (RD)
Stralman (RD)
Orpik
Nikitin
Fayne (RD)
Greene (RD)
Klesla

LW
Raymond
Moulson
Jokinen

C
Stastny
Boyle
Moore
McClemment

RW
Iginla
Gaborik
Vrbata
Setoguchi
Kulemin
Downie

Great list. Except I lolwut'd at orpik.

Edit: And Klesla. Why is klesla on your list?

Last edited:

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
Defense

Matt Greene
Nikita Nikitin

Forwards

Daniel Winnik
Steve Downie
Radim Vrbata
Matt Moulson
Brian Boyle

These are the guys I think we go after.

Markov4Captain

Dec 29, 2009
Montreal, QC
A lot of people seem to be mentioning Stasny as a target...isn't he a centre? don't we have an abundance of centres already? We're already struggling to find a spot for Galchenyuk, our 'franchise' centre, at his natural position and now we want to bring another centre only to add to the log jam?

Our wings are our weakness. And so is our d. We should target UFAs accordingly.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Aside from the afore-mentioned guys (Moulson, Gaborik, Nikitin, Stastny), I go with:

- Clayton Stoner (I'd love him)
- Jack Skille (I'd love to give ANOTHER shot to this guy. Too strong for the AHL....seems not enough for the NHL but...)
- Kyle Quincey (steady and reliable)
- Justin Johnson (The man who dropped Scott.....not going to play a lot but at least...he'd be available if needed)
- Milan Michalek (Always liked him...)
- Ales Hemsky (If we're looking for top 6...he's the guy)
- Spencek Machacek (bottom 6 role, I'm not keeping Moen so...)
- Jérôme Samson (time to move up, bottom 6 player....)
- David Legwand (Really not ideal, worst choice of the ones I'm considering, but if we make some moves on C, meaning trade Pleks AND DD. Galchenyuk 1C, Eller 2C, Legwand 3C...Still he's plays a great defensive game, fast skater and great on faceoffs..)

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
A lot of people seem to be mentioning Stasny as a target...isn't he a centre? don't we have an abundance of centres already? We're already struggling to find a spot for Galchenyuk, our 'franchise' centre, at his natural position and now we want to bring another centre only to add to the log jam?

Our wings are our weakness. And so is our d. We should target UFAs accordingly.

Acquiring Stastny and trading Pleks and/or DD would make us a better team in the end......IF the return is at least equivalent to what we get rid of. Just that Stasny, for me, would bring more as a #1C or #2C than what we have. As I think that Eller would replace Pleks adequately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad