Dave Brown
Tony Twist
Marty McSorley
Georges Laraque
Derek Boogaard
Larry Playfair
Nick Fotiu
Stu Grimson

I really wanted to include Eric Cairns, but his peak was short. Same with a lot of guys who reigned as champs for awhile.

And this list changes in time.
Good list. I forgot about McSorley somehow when I made mine. He should be an HM at least. I'd love to switch him with Brashear just because I hated huggy bear so much and loved Marty.

Grimson was great too. He might be in my top 20 and I wouldn't argue with people who have him top 10. An absolute warrior.

Cairns at his peak was great, too bad it didn't last longer. He wasn't quite the same after he left the Islanders. I do remember him beating Colton Orr pretty easily when he was with Florida. Orr had been breaking faces prior to that. Cairns took a loss to Chara around then too but the linesmen kinda screwed him in that one from what I recall. I think McGratten beat him a couple times that season too.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Brashear just because I hated huggy bear so much
LOL You're not alone. He could beat the best of them, but he rarely put in a hurtin'. Just get up close, wrestle, incapacitate your opponent, throw in a few short quick ones, and the fight was over.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
LOL You're not alone. He could beat the best of them, but he rarely put in a hurtin'. Just get up close, wrestle, incapacitate your opponent, throw in a few short quick ones, and the fight was over.
Yep, that was definitely his MO. I'm a bit drunk right now but I for one was happy when Marty whacked him upside the head lol

Reactions: Finster8

Kybb79

Sep 13, 2016
Probert, Boogaard, Brown, Jonathan, Semenko, Berube, Mcsorley. Kordic, Clark and Tootoo.

ORRMAN

Dec 3, 2008
Stan Jonathan , Clark Gillies , Orland Kurtainbach,
Great list. Gillies could do it all. Grapes said the only player he coached who actually liked to fight was Stan Jonathan. Never saw him lose a fight. As a Bruins fan, I'll say that Lyndon Byers lost very few fights.

ORRMAN

Dec 3, 2008
1. Bob Probert
2. Tony Twist
3. Dave Brown
4. Behn Wilson
5. Derek Boogaard
6. John Ferguson
7. Donald Brashear
8. Joey Kocur
9. Tie Domi
10. Chris Nilan

HM: Chris Simon, Stu Grimson, Troy Crowder (peak), Schultz/Williams/O'Reilly for straight up 70's goon hockey factor.
Our avatar could fight.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Not placing him in the top 10 , but pound for pound , Mario Roberge was underrated in the 90's.

He was one of those guys I didn’t see much of while it was happening but once the internet allowed us to explore and fight sites proliferated we were able to witness why he was a legend.

470 fights in his career is an absolutely insane total, very nice technical ability and could go with the best.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
1. Bob Probert
2. Dave ‘The Hammer’ Schultz
3. Dave Semenko
4. Dave Brown
5. Chris ‘Knuckles’ Nilan
6. Joey Kocur
7. Troy Crowder
8. Georges Laraque
9. Clark Gillies
10. McSorley, O’Reilly, Domi, Johnathon, Grimson, Wilson, Miller, Gaetz, McIntyre, McCarthy, Brashear, Twist, Williams, Kordic, McRae, Odjick
Ok, so it’s a top 25 lol

Ogie Ogolthorpe gets HM

Last edited:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Great lists here. I would love to have seen Steve McIntyre in the late 80's or 90's. He was so much tougher than anyone else in the NHL at his time, aside from maybe Chara and Boogaard, but he was in the show for such a short time because he was a pure brawler in the days when pure brawlers had no use. I'd love to have seen some action with MacIntyre vs some of the greats.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Great lists here. I would love to have seen Steve McIntyre in the late 80's or 90's. He was so much tougher than anyone else in the NHL at his time, aside from maybe Chara and Boogaard, but he was in the show for such a short time because he was a pure brawler in the days when pure brawlers had no use. I'd love to have seen some action with MacIntyre vs some of the greats.
McIntyre was incredibly powerful, but kind of slow. He had troubles with guys like McGrattan and Godard.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
McIntyre was incredibly powerful, but kind of slow. He had troubles with guys like McGrattan and Godard.
Yep, Godard broke his face. Boogey and McGratten both whooped him pretty good. Macintyre was a good fighter but not in a class of his own by any means.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
If he played in that era, chances are he wouldn't be that big. There weren't any guys his size back in the 80's. In the 90's there were some big guys, but even so he'd tower over most players. That's why I try not to compare the heavyweights from 10 years ago to their predecessors.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
I don't think MacIntyre was that great of a fighter really. He was a little awkward and got beat quite a few times. I also don't think Chara was that good.

Boogaard, Cairns, Laraque, Worrell, Grimson... those were big guys who actually were really goood fighters.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
I still believe that MacIntyre could have been as good as a Boogaard or McGrattan. The problem with him is that was too indecisive on whether he wanted to fight in a traditional stance or southpaw.

It is rare to see a fighter have knockout power in both hands, he had it. The only time I have ever seen him get knocked down was Godard, and that is nothing to be ashamed of.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I don't think MacIntyre was that great of a fighter really. He was a little awkward and got beat quite a few times. I also don't think Chara was that good.

Boogaard, Cairns, Laraque, Worrell, Grimson... those were big guys who actually were really goood fighters.
Chara has always had balance issues but he gave Cairns a beating and had several draws with Worrell.

Worrell got beat more often than MacIntyre did.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Chara has always had balance issues but he gave Cairns a beating and had several draws with Worrell.

Worrell got beat more often than MacIntyre did.
Worrell also fought way more against other super heavies.

I also think Worrell and especially MacIntyre came after the golden era of the heavyweight enforcer. They didn't get the same quality or quantity of competition as the generation before. If you're looking at top 10, neither sniffs the list.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Worrell also fought way more against other super heavies.

I also think Worrell and especially MacIntyre came after the golden era of the heavyweight enforcer. They didn't get the same quality or quantity of competition as the generation before. If you're looking at top 10, neither sniffs the list.
I definitely agree that neither is close to top 10.

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
Best fighter I ever saw was John Kordic

He would pummel the other teams resident enforcers to a bloody mess and motivate his teams to go on big winning runs.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Hf logic: guy doesn't belong in top 10...but beats...retires*** a guy who you claim is better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad