Top Ten Best Fighters of All-Time?

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I still believe that MacIntyre could have been as good as a Boogaard or McGrattan. The problem with him is that was too indecisive on whether he wanted to fight in a traditional stance or southpaw.

It is rare to see a fighter have knockout power in both hands, he had it. The only time I have ever seen him get knocked down was Godard, and that is nothing to be ashamed of.
And the refs broke that up before the comeback

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
In no order:

Dave Brown
Dave Schultz
Willi Plett
Bob Probert
George Laraque
Joey Kocur
Dave Semenko
Marty McSorley
John Ferguson
Tony Twist

My Best-Carey

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Life long Bruins fan so it may be a bit slanted but I'm trying to be fair. Just based on fighters I have seen from 74 forward (So no Ferguson, Howe, Green, original 6)

1-Probert-at his best there was none better
2-Laraque-If he cared about fighting and accepted the fighter roll and embraced it he could have been number one
3-Gillies-Had wars with O'Reilly and whole time with Islanders was the toughest guy on the team.
4-McSorely-Size, reach and crazy endurance. Also legit mean.
5-Wensink-I don't remember him losing one in a Bruins uniform.
6-Grimson-Don't recall Stu losing very many either, rarely looked for fights but rarely lost
7-Kocur-When his hands were healthy with Detroit I have never seen anybody punch as hard.
8-O'Reilly-Favorite all time player besides Orr, has to be in my top ten
9-Domi-Gained respect for him as he matured, once he stopped being a sideshow he was a great fighter. Also the KO punch on Samuelson will always make him a favorite.
10-Behn Wilson-The toughest Flyer I ever saw, includes Brown, Schultz,Tocchet,Berube. Just a great fighter

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Life long Bruins fan so it may be a bit slanted but I'm trying to be fair. Just based on fighters I have seen from 74 forward (So no Ferguson, Howe, Green, original 6)

1-Probert-at his best there was none better
2-Laraque-If he cared about fighting and accepted the fighter roll and embraced it he could have been number one
3-Gillies-Had wars with O'Reilly and whole time with Islanders was the toughest guy on the team.
4-McSorely-Size, reach and crazy endurance. Also legit mean.
5-Wensink-I don't remember him losing one in a Bruins uniform.
6-Grimson-Don't recall Stu losing very many either, rarely looked for fights but rarely lost
7-Kocur-When his hands were healthy with Detroit I have never seen anybody punch as hard.
8-O'Reilly-Favorite all time player besides Orr, has to be in my top ten
9-Domi-Gained respect for him as he matured, once he stopped being a sideshow he was a great fighter. Also the KO punch on Samuelson will always make him a favorite.
10-Behn Wilson-The toughest Flyer I ever saw, includes Brown, Schultz,Tocchet,Berube. Just a great fighter

How on earth could Tie Domi be on a list of all time best fighters? His best attribute as a fighter was his ability to eat punches with minimal effect. There were never other enforcers that were afraid to drop the gloves with Tie Domi. Even at the peak of his powers, Tie Domi struck fear in nobody because losing a fight to Tie Domi usually meant he wrestled you to the ice. This is a crazy selection, he should be nowhere near a list of top ten fighters of all time.

Guys like Chris Nilan, Jay Miller, Dave Schultz, Dave Brown, Dave Semenko, Tiger Williams, John Ferguson, Donald Brashear, Troy Crowder and John Kordic just off the top of my head with ten seconds of thinking about it all rank way way way ahead of Tie Domi.

Last edited:

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
How on earth could Tie Domi be on a list of all time best fighters? His best attribute as a fighter was his ability to eat punches with minimal effect. There were never other enforcers that were afraid to drop the gloves with Tie Domi. Even at the peak of his powers, Tie Domi struck fear in nobody because losing a fight to Tie Domi usually meant he wrestled you to the ice. This is a crazy selection, he should be nowhere near a list of top ten fighters of all time.

Guys like Chris Nolan, Jay Miller, Dave Schultz, Dave Brown, Dave Semenko, Tiger Williams, John Ferguson, Donald Brashear, Troy Crowder and John Kordic just off the top of my head with ten seconds of thinking about it all rank way way way ahead of Tie Domi.
What a bunch of crap this post is and I absolutely hate the leafs. Domi would do/did fine if not beat any of those guys on your list. Tiger Williams was never top 10 any given year let alone alltime. Domi beats him 4 times out of 5 easy. Schultz definitely wasn't as good of a fighter as Domi either, he was more dirty than anything. I'm a huge Jay Miller fan but Domi likely beats him more often than not too. Crowder had one good year Ferguson played in an era when there were hardly any fights and even less heavyweights. I wouldn't put Domi top 10 alltime but he's not too far off, definitely top 25.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
What a bunch of crap this post is and I absolutely hate the leafs. Domi would do/did fine if not beat any of those guys on your list. Tiger Williams was never top 10 any given year let alone alltime. Domi beats him 4 times out of 5 easy. Schultz definitely wasn't as good of a fighter as Domi either, he was more dirty than anything. I'm a huge Jay Miller fan but Domi likely beats him more often than not too. Crowder had one good year Ferguson played in an era when there were hardly any fights and even less heavyweights. I wouldn't put Domi top 10 alltime but he's not too far off, definitely top 25.

Domi was a guy who fought a lot and never shied away from anybody, but there was nobody - and I mean nobody - that was afraid to fight Tie Domi because, as I said before, his biggest strength was that he could absorb a ton of punches with a smile on his face but in terms of what he was dishing out, he was pretty run-of-the-mill. The only extraordinary thing about him that separated him from other fighters was his ability to absorb punishment.

I don't know what world you are living in where you think he would beat guys like Williams, Schultz or Jay Miller. Those guys would fill in Tie Domi like a job application.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I'm living realistic world not dreamland like you. I can guarantee nobody was ever afraid to fight Tiger Williams. The guy was a borderline punching bag. Schultz is the most overrated fighter of alltime. He was more known for hair pulling than beating guys up. Domi dished out plenty of damage in his career. A career you clearly didn't watch. He is also one of the best technical fighters of alltime.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I know Kurtenbach was really tough, and a good fighter, but I can't remember if he was a great fighter. I do remember that he was a guy that most wanted to leave alone, but I didn't know if that was because he was just really strong.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
Definitely I considered Gillies. Wilson has a great rep. Hard to pick just ten, though. I tended toward guys with a little more volume. So many guys to choose from.

My Best-Carey

take out shultz, mcsorely or kocur and add those 2 in, and the list is as good as it gets.

very good fighters, but tough to crack the top 10

frisco

Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
take out shultz, mcsorely or kocur and add those 2 in, and the list is as good as it gets.

very good fighters, but tough to crack the top 10
I could maybe push out McSorley for Gillies. But nobody packed a harder punch than Kocur and Schultz was more prolific than B.Wilson.

My Best-Carey

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
I could maybe push out McSorley for Gillies. But nobody packed a harder punch than Kocur and Schultz was more prolific than B.Wilson.

My Best-Carey
gotcha

at some point its just a bit of different opinions that separate them. I feel kocur lost too many to be in the top 10 but yes, probably had the most KO power

and even though I've heard he was a beast, not much tape on ferguson, so I'd probably leave him off as well due to not seeing much of him

my 10

probert
Gillies
Fotiu
Laraque
Behn wilson
boogaard
dave Brown
larry playfair
Jim Mckenzie

no dead set order cept for probie at 1 and gillies/fotiu top 5.
mckenzie/playfair near 10

honorable mention
twist, Marty Mac, kocur

Last edited:

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
Domi was a guy who fought a lot and never shied away from anybody, but there was nobody - and I mean nobody - that was afraid to fight Tie Domi because, as I said before, his biggest strength was that he could absorb a ton of punches with a smile on his face but in terms of what he was dishing out, he was pretty run-of-the-mill. The only extraordinary thing about him that separated him from other fighters was his ability to absorb punishment.

I don't know what world you are living in where you think he would beat guys like Williams, Schultz or Jay Miller. Those guys would fill in Tie Domi like a job application.

problem with domi was his size. he would take on the really Big guys and some of them would manhandle him.

but one of the better pound for pund fighters there was.
But, I think Wendell clark and stan jonathan were better then him

frisco

Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
gotcha

at some point its just a bit of different opinions that separate them. I feel kocur lost too many to be in the top 10 but yes, probably had the most KO power

and even though I've heard he was a beast, not much tape on ferguson, so I'd probably leave him off as well due to not seeing much of him

my 10

probert
Gillies
Fotiu
Laraque
Behn wilson
boogaard
dave Brown
larry playfair
Jim Mckenzie

no dead set order cept for probie at 1 and gillies/fotiu top 5.
mckenzie/playfair near 10

honorable mention
twist, Marty Mac, kocur
Great list. I'm not a fight "guy" per se as far as this section goes. I've never really knew that Behn Wilson was so well regarded. But I respect these opinions of guys that have him ranked right up there.

My Best-Carey

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
problem with domi was his size. he would take on the really Big guys and some of them would manhandle him.

but one of the better pound for pund fighters there was.
But, I think Wendell clark and stan jonathan were better then him

Those guys were both easily and substantially better fighters than Domi. Both Clark and Stan could really hurt people and guys were legit intimidated to drop the gloves with them. Nobody was afraid to fight Tie Domi.

Reactions: lastcupever75

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA

I'll take the guy beating the shit out of two other pro hockey players at the same time. All the while keeping his teammate out of the way like he was his momma.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
Great list. I'm not a fight "guy" per se as far as this section goes. I've never really knew that Behn Wilson was so well regarded. But I respect these opinions of guys that have him ranked right up there.

My Best-Carey

probably (prime) gillies worst loss when he was with philly. i was still young when he played but have watched videos of him. He had a devastating uppercut.
clark is on record saying he feared behn the most out of any fighter when interviewed after his retirement

here some video of him if you wanted to take a peak

and thats an rookie 1st pick overall wendell clark in the last fight taking on one of the league's best. giving up a ton of size in the fight.
some balls on wendell

Reactions: frisco

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad