Twist
Ewen
Boogard
Colton Orr
Jonathan

In no particular order

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
Went through the first couple pages and saw a lot of the names I expected to see.

But I was surprised no one mentioned arguably the toughest/best fighter of all time: Dave Richter.

Go to Youtube and watch him turn Joey Kocur's face into a disgusting mine field of cuts, bruises, and welts in about 4 seconds.

He was a big guy, tough as hell, and crazy when he got into "fight mode."

NorthStar4Canes

Oct 12, 2007
Went through the first couple pages and saw a lot of the names I expected to see.

But I was surprised no one mentioned arguably the toughest/best fighter of all time: Dave Richter.

Go to Youtube and watch him turn Joey Kocur's face into a disgusting mine field of cuts, bruises, and welts in about 4 seconds.

He was a big guy, tough as hell, and crazy when he got into "fight mode."

Nice to see Richter getting some love. It's as you say; big (6'5", 215), tough, and an incredibly fast, accurate left hand. Scary dude indeed in fight mode.

Richter won't be mentioned in Top Ten lists usually due to overall number of bouts compared to the likes of Probert (who he fought to a draw) etc, but on any given day I wouldn't have bet against Richter vs. anyone on those lists.

coo1beans

Mar 29, 2010
If we are talking about best fighters based purely on ability, Rick Rypien should be in the top 10. He wasnt around for as long as many others (RiP), but his actual ability to fight was second to none. He actually blocked and countered, threw combos and switched hands.

stocker

Mar 9, 2004
Nice to see Richter getting some love. It's as you say; big (6'5", 215), tough, and an incredibly fast, accurate left hand. Scary dude indeed in fight mode.

Richter won't be mentioned in Top Ten lists usually due to overall number of bouts compared to the likes of Probert (who he fought to a draw) etc, but on any given day I wouldn't have bet against Richter vs. anyone on those lists.
Richter gets my attention. He’s top 5 in my book.

Link Gaetz
Link Gaetz
One thing about Gaetz he did not play many NHL games due to car accident.But he was top 5 when he did play.

stocker

Mar 9, 2004
All leafs team:

Tiger Williams
Todd Gill
Wendel Clark
Steve Thomas
Tie Domi
Colton Orr
Mark Fraser (but short lived career)
Craig Berube
Dave Semenko
Ian Turnbull
Ian Turnbull ? Steve Thomas ? WOW Kurt Walker,John Kordic,Dan Maloney,

Reactions: DaaaaB's

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm a big fan of the old school guys, don't get me wrong, but fighters like Boogaard, MacIntyre, Orr and McGrattan should be on or around this list.

Not to mention old old school guys like Ferguson and Kurtenbach
Absolutely to both of those guys. Ferguson was mean, knew what his job was, and was an excellent, heavy, puncher. Kurtenbach was exceptionally strong, and very tough. I don’t really think of him as a fighter, just more of a really tough guy. Ted Harris was also tough, but I don’t know,that he would be on a list of top 10 fighters.

Eddie Shore was notoriously dirty, and big for his era, but don’t know if he was a really good fighter. Hockey was very tough back then, wit( guys who survived the depression and the war. Some of them literally had experience killing people in war, or saw it done. I would imagine that there wasn’t a lot of posers.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I think that Brashear should be on way more lists. I'm not sure that I would take many (if any) right handed fighters over him in a best of seven series. He is the only NHL fighter I've seen that really understood how to use his handedness as an advantage.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I think that Brashear should be on way more lists. I'm not sure that I would take many (if any) right handed fighters over him in a best of seven series. He is the only NHL fighter I've seen that really understood how to use his handedness as an advantage.
Huggy Bear won lots of fights but never really beat anyone up which is why people don't like him.

Wtp99

May 8, 2021
I think Barry Beck should be on that list.
though one of the smaller guys would be Eddie Johnston
perhaps maybe Bob Nystrom
was Ed Hospadar mentioned
Paul Holmgran

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->